Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:07:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Phishing Scams on MEW and Coinbase..Be Safe!!!  (Read 173 times)
ankurguta87 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 117

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 05:42:20 AM
Merited by OmegaStarScream (2)

Dear community,

(1)  Coinbase Email

I received scam email stating that Coinbase has introduced ERC20 token support. They are demanding Pvt key to import all your ERC20 wallet to Coinbase. In a deeper look I found that Its a scam as sender email address was "Coinbase." <no-reply@coinbase.coml> . It was not .com it was .coml.  Grin Grin   Landing page of the link was exact copy of coinbase landing page but the URL was https://colnbase.com. Did you noticed that "l" instead of "i".
So guys Stay away from such scams and always remember:

never share your Pvt. Key with any website
Never login through a link in you email always type address in bworser.

2) Mostly Airdrops are Fake and Ppl are doing it for referral:

Stay away from unauthorized airdrops. The primary purpose of most of the airdrop is to collect your email address and other details for following purposes:

1) They will make a database of emails and will sell database to future projects and other marketing agencies.
2) Many of the USers will put same email and password as they are using in exchange for wallets. So that they can cheat you.

3)  Stay Away from Email for claiming the Forked coin

I got an email with sender address noreply@dadi.tech with the subject Ethereum Hard Fork (Casper)
Myetherwallet address link in this email is a spammy link. Never apply your Pvt key...

NOTICE THOSE DOTS BELOW M AND E IN THE URL.

Stay Away Guys!!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6133

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 07:47:57 AM

Phishing attempts are not hard to avoid but the question is how they got your email? I believe that some exchanges have their databases leaked or even sold because these attacks seem to target crypto users only.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
sunsilk

Activity: 2912
Merit: 620

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 12:27:53 PM

Thanks for the catch OP.

Phishing attempts are not hard to avoid but the question is how they got your email? I believe that some exchanges have their databases leaked or even sold because these attacks seem to target crypto users only.
I'm also receiving these type of emails not only with MEW but with other exchanges as well.

If it's not that leaked or sold, there must be some inside job that will benefit those people who are working inside the company.

tora

Activity: 532
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 05:57:54 PM

The reason for having a private key for your wallets is exactly that,it is private not to given to anyone else.
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 12:18:43 AM

I think I also received the same email. Didn't bother clicking on it, though.

You're right. You should never ever share your private keys with anyone. Doing so is giving away possession of your coins. Coinbase is a hosted wallets anyways, they should never ask you to import your wallet mnemonics since that's just not a part of their business.

These phishing sites are really affecting a lot of bitcoin users, new bitcoin users in particular.

Just be careful. Save the wallet/exchange's URL that you normally use to a bookmark, if that's possible. Or, just type it in. Don't click on any ads/email links that you don't know of or suspect of them being phishing sites.

Smiley
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 06:32:19 AM

Well, there's https://haveibeenpwned.com to check whether our emails are leaking through the internet or not.
Another thing to keep in mind is that mailing list, it isn't a new story that people who manages the mailing list sold their customer's information to another company, thus creating a spams.
Maybe OP subscribed to crypto related mailing list or something related to that.

I never received Phishing Email luckily, but I've received logins notifications from exchanges, the most prominent one comes from Bitmain.
At least once a month I would receive a notification from Bitmain that someone from Russia is trying to access my account, although since I have 2FA on my account, the hacker will need to confirm my login via Email.
My email secured with 2FA linked to my phone so I don't even bother Tongue
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 10:53:22 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2018, 11:08:44 PM by jhenfelipe

I sometimes receive phishing emails too, not sure if I got the same as yours though. They were in my spam folder, where links and images are disabled so I just ignore them. I also don't bother opening emails that offer free money, discounts, or anything like that, and instantly put them into the trash folder. I hope others are doing the same or other security measures to avoid being a victim.

Being cautious can save you ~
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 03:23:33 AM

First rule of thumb, never, ever, give away your private keys in any circumstances, or let anyone else know about your private key. Even if they don't steal your coins now, they have the ability to retain that private key and access your funds later.

These phishing scams are targeting crypto users, always check the url carefully when you click on something in your mailbox. Also, check if the sender's credentials are legit. Best thing to do is just don't click on anything from emails, although sometimes that's not possible. Have a bookmark or just remember the website URL.

Thanks for the PSA. I've seen both these cases (MEW and Coinbase) reflected elsewhere as well, I think. Not sure how many people fell for it, though.

Yeah, I believe that cryptopia was one of the targets that had a database leak. But it's honestly all speculation where your email was obtained from, it could be some shady site that you signed up to. There are loads of possibilities honestly. But that's a reason to be careful when you sign up to random sites.
Oasisman

Activity: 2604
Merit: 549

Rollbit

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2018, 01:20:18 AM

Theres a big possibility that this might be happening, but I suspect, maybe these scanmers are collecting email addresses that has been displayed anywhere in the internet from the people who actively joins discussion about cryptocurrency.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
btcdiggingmaster

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

Transact Safer / Chase Better

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 05:35:25 AM

In order to avoid those phishing emails, we have to get some knowledge about the MEW and Coinbase because we have to check the website before clicking any links. I hope better don't join the Airdrops because most of the Airdrop is scam ICO's, they will collect the confidential information from you and start sending Phishing emails.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6133

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 07:20:32 AM

Theres a big possibility that this might be happening, but I suspect, maybe these scanmers are collecting email addresses that has been displayed anywhere in the internet from the people who actively joins discussion about cryptocurrency.

I haven't posted my email anywhere and I'm very careful when I use it. Yet, I received login attempts in some exchanges.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
apoorvlathey

Activity: 1162
Merit: 547

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2018, 08:37:36 AM

I haven't posted my email anywhere and I'm very careful when I use it. Yet, I received login attempts in some exchanges.

I too sometimes receive those login attempts and everytime they are from different locations. But they can't seem to get pass the 2fA email verification.

I encountered a trick on the internet many months back in which you could check from where your email might have been leaked.
While registering your account on other sites, instead of using your email, say abc@gmail.com you could use abc+bitcointalk@gmail.com if you are registering on bitcointalk. I think it works only for gmail and anything after '+' sign doesn't matter and you would still receive email to your inbox.
So whenever you receive such login attempts from hacked database or any spam mails you would know which site actually leaked your details.

Oasisman

Activity: 2604
Merit: 549

Rollbit

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2018, 07:16:52 AM

I too sometimes receive those login attempts and everytime they are from different locations. But they can't seem to get pass the 2fA email verification.

I encountered a trick on the internet many months back in which you could check from where your email might have been leaked.
While registering your account on other sites, instead of using your email, say abc@gmail.com you could use abc+bitcointalk@gmail.com if you are registering on bitcointalk. I think it works only for gmail and anything after '+' sign doesn't matter and you would still receive email to your inbox.
So whenever you receive such login attempts from hacked database or any spam mails you would know which site actually leaked your details.

Well, in this case, @OmegaStarScream is right. There's a conspiracy happening with some of these exchanges (Im not generalizing it) but there are some. Although I still didnt experienced log in attempts from other places, but I do recieved fake emails. I guess their primary target are those who has huge amount stored in the exchange or has a huge transaction history. Just like you guys. Be extra careful.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████