Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:41:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [BUG]ClarkMoody - user-side possible bug occurence.  (Read 633 times)
Boxman90 (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:27:40 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 01:16:42 PM by Boxman90

ClarkMoody is manipulating (by accident or on purpose, doesn't matter) the volume figures by a factor of SIX.

It seems to be a user-side bug. I'm not sure how many people are hit by it. If you're seeing multiple orders passing by in the orderbook, know that something is amiss and any volume figures you're seeing are not real.

I compared the figures reported by Clarkmoody to bitcoinwisdom after smelling bullshit, and well there we go:

Large version: https://i.imgur.com/YqUmVVN.png

As I know, Clarkmoody is a highly popular live MtGox Price monitor used by many many people. BTC-e seems to go absolutely crazy for MtGox still, while their volume is actually really really low. MtGox traders may be easily influenced as well. Bitstamp seems to react with 100's to 1000's of BTC to any move on clarkmoody.

ClarkMoody just reported two buy frenzies of >1000 BTC, while the actual volume was merely 200 BTC.

I would say this is a rather big an issue, and it should be stickied. for that reason. Also maybe delisted from the list of useful sites for speculators.

Sorry for crossposting this across multiple forums, but traders should be aware of this issue.

LTC: LKKy4eDWyVtSrQAJy7Qmmz61RaFY91D9yC   BTC: 18fzdnCkuUNthCD8hM36UBGopFa9ij78gG
moderate

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

nearly dead

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:36:03 PM

ClarkMoody is manipulating (by accident or on purpose, doesn't matter) the volume figures by a factor of SIX.

I compared the figures reported by Clarkmoody to bitcoinwisdom after smelling bullshit, and well there we go:

snip

ClarkMoody just reported two buy frenzies of >1000 BTC, while the actual volume was merely 200 BTC.

Have you considered that the other site could be reporting wrong values ? Have you considered that both are wrong, the volume is not 1000 neither 200 for that period ?
Boxman90 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:48:53 PM

Have you considered that the other site could be reporting wrong values ? Have you considered that both are wrong, the volume is not 1000 neither 200 for that period ?

Clarkmoody also reports every trade happening 6 times, so I'm pretty damn sure that it's Clarkmoody that's manipulating this. Incoming another pic:

The wall that disappeared with those trades was an 84 BTC one.

Their orderbook is fishy as well. Below a certain treshold, the volumes seem to be multiplied as well if you group them by for instance 1 USD: There is an order flashing at 432.68127 of 222.6118 BTC. If you watch the regular orderbook, you'll see this order flashing and flashing, totalling the BTC til that point to 500-ish BTC. If you then watch the orderbook grouped to 1 USD groups, the 200 BTC flashing causes the total to be ramped tup to 1600 BTC instead of 500-ish.

Anyway, lots of fishiness going on at ClarkMoody and I'd say it's safe to say that the information on clarkmoody is (intentionally or not) compromized. China followed MtGox movements, BTC-e did, and seeing the true value is not as high this might be partly because of clarkmoody reporting false figures.

LTC: LKKy4eDWyVtSrQAJy7Qmmz61RaFY91D9yC   BTC: 18fzdnCkuUNthCD8hM36UBGopFa9ij78gG
moderate

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

nearly dead

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:58:21 PM

Clarkmoody also reports every trade happening 6 times, so I'm pretty damn sure that it's Clarkmoody that's manipulating this. Incoming another pic:

Yes.. because Clarkmoody has so many reasons to manipulate this..

Now, have you considered this is just your browser opening several connections to the site so you receive the same data multiple times ? The client just adds up all the data, this could be a bug you hit. Do you happen to use Opera ? Because that crap cannot manage to properly allow and enable websockets by default, so you use another transport. Did it ever cross your mind to contact Clarkmoody directly about this in their thread ?
Boxman90 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 01:15:31 PM

Well thanks for that input, I tried it in a sandbox behind a VPN and then it showed correctly.

I'm not sure how many more people are hit by this bug. I'm using google Chrome on this PC, but on the sandbox as well. It seems like a specific issue at my end then.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: