Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:59:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: paper wallet paranoia  (Read 1020 times)
acesup (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:06:56 PM

I generated a paper wallet a few months ago with bitaddress.org v2.4. I did it on an offline live-os (slax USB), wrote it down on a piece of paper + generated a truecrypt container with a backup.

With the rising value of bitcoins I'm getting a bit more worried about things that could have gone wrong. Could slax have a bad random number generator? Is truecrypt secure? Is there anything else I should worry about?
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:15:05 PM

If you wrote it down, you could have made a mistake, e.g. writing small z instead of big Z.
(Or just don't be able to decide if it was an 5 or S anymore -> having to test a lot)

When I wrote down a paper wallet once, I had to try 3 times until I finally got it right... (tested with import in bitcoin-qt).
acesup (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:44:54 PM

i wrote it down correctly (re-typed it into the wallet details section to make sure). i didn't print it out on purpose, paranoid about the printer saving a history.
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:50:55 PM

Did you use a small home printer?  I doubt something you got for $30 at walmart will have any storage capacity.  If are you worried just transfer the BTC to another paper wallet that you generated offline.
Arksun

Activity: 616

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:35:32 PM

i wrote it down correctly (re-typed it into the wallet details section to make sure). i didn't print it out on purpose, paranoid about the printer saving a history.

Now that's some hardcore paranoia. I would be more concerned about the health implications of such paranoia as stress can cause real damage.

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀

▀█▄▄  ▀▀█▄▄█▀▀   ▄▄█
 ▀▀███▄▄     ▄▄██▀██
     ▀███   ██▀  ▄█
██     ██  ██ ▄██▀██
▀██    ██  ███▀  ▄██
 ▀███▄▄██  ██ ▄███▀
    ▀▀███  ▀██▀▀
Just.Bet 

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
DICE
LOTTERY
PLINKO
COIN FLIP
CRASH
WHEEL
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
        ███████       ▄▄██▄
                  ▄▄███▀▀██▄
      ██████   ▄███████▄▄███▄
               ▀██  █████████▄
                ▀█████████▀▀██▄
████████████     ▀███▀▀███▄▄██▀
██  ████  ██      ▀██▄▄███▀▀
█████▀▀█████  ██   ▀██▀▀
█████▄▄█████
██  ████  ██   ██████
████████████
DECENTRALIZED
PROVABLY FAIR
ON CHAIN GAMES
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
[/center]
raskolnikovx

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:39:29 PM

Now that's some hardcore paranoia. I would be more concerned about the health implications of such paranoia as stress can cause real damage.

+1
dudebit

Activity: 31

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:52:36 PM

My printer sees all and reports directly to the nsa.  Cheesy
irpirate

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:06:16 PM

Better safe than sorry  Cheesy
But seriously, being paranoid of the the printer saving a history is a little extreme
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:14:24 PM

I haven't used a paper wallet before, but now that BTC is shooting up so fast, I might have to print off a few wallets and store them.

Probably going to check out Armory myself.

Also, I hear that online wallets are pretty cool  Tongue
tampazeus

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Lick me like a lolipop

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:22:44 PM

i wrote it down correctly (re-typed it into the wallet details section to make sure).

It is difference to retype it after 10 minutes and  retype it after few years. I have problems with serial codes i wrote myselves a while back and often I must figuring out what letter might be different. But after few guesses it is valid  Smiley

BTW I underlining big letters
Jacce

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:29:06 PM

I don't think you have to worry that much unless you are saving some really large amounts of BTC :S
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 04:30:36 PM

Unless you spent thousands on an office color laser printer (like one of these, one of which is just down the hall from my office), your printer isn't going to have any long-term storage to speak of. It'll have enough of a buffer to hold at most a page or two while a computer is sending it a job; if it's an inkjet, possibly not much more than a few lines' worth.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
acesup (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:16:23 PM

i wrote it down correctly (re-typed it into the wallet details section to make sure).

It is difference to retype it after 10 minutes and  retype it after few years. I have problems with serial codes i wrote myselves a while back and often I must figuring out what letter might be different. But after few guesses it is valid  Smiley

BTW I underlining big letters

as I've said I also have a backup in a truecrypt container (with a strong password of course that's only in my mind)

I'm not worried about losing/forgetting the keys, I feel that's taken care of.

What do you think about the possibility of a bad RNG in slax or truecrypt being insecure? Or any other issues that I could have overlooked?
Ali_G

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:01:38 PM

I usually print them.  I once wrote down keys by hand.  I was also concerned about getting upper and lower case letters confused so I underlined all uppercase letters.  Might be helpful.
young3dvard

Activity: 193

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:16:49 PM

What do you think about the possibility of a bad RNG in slax or truecrypt being insecure?

That is always possile given recent Android RNG flaw

[ANNOUNCE] Android key rotation
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=271831.0
BarkinTree

Activity: 204

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:18:12 PM

yes, that is hardcore paranoid, dude! you are worried your printer is going to steal your private keys? i mean, i know that hackzors are getting more sophisticated, but i hope we don't need to start worrying about this type of thing!
icem3lter

Activity: 281

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:44:56 PM

Or any other issues that I could have overlooked?

Make sure the bitaddress.org html file had right hash.

I once saw discussion the bitaddress.org html was modified and private keys sended to email when you generated address online.

Not hard to imagine the bitaddress.org html could be modified so its RNG was not much random thus even if created in offline mode the private keys would be know to the hacker who modified bitaddress.org html

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: