Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 01:22:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Internet Kill Switch"  (Read 1611 times)
cadillac (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:16:57 PM

So what do you all think of this little tidbit?

"The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) must disclose its plans for a so-called Internet 'kill switch,' a federal court ruled on Tuesday. The United States District Court for the District of Columbia rejected the agency's arguments that its protocols surrounding an Internet kill switch were exempt from public disclosure and ordered the agency to release the records in 30 days. However, the court left the door open for the agency to appeal the ruling."
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:40:12 PM

No one's killing the internet man. We always have rock solid Russian servers if US ever misbehaves.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:56:51 PM

Mesh Networks.

Vires in numeris
Ecurb123

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 08:51:39 PM

So what do you all think of this little tidbit?

"The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) must disclose its plans for a so-called Internet 'kill switch,' a federal court ruled on Tuesday. The United States District Court for the District of Columbia rejected the agency's arguments that its protocols surrounding an Internet kill switch were exempt from public disclosure and ordered the agency to release the records in 30 days. However, the court left the door open for the agency to appeal the ruling."

This really does worry me. First I think we should all try to understand "the internet", then we can use our minds to solve the issue.
cdtc

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:28:50 PM

As far as I know American military created the internet,
so they already have all kinds of kill and spy switches.
This is just an attempt to legalize it.

BetFury                                                     
🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹
                                                    Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                   
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 11:32:24 PM

We'll still have TOR, we'll still have Bitcoin, we'll still have eachother.
That kill switch is really only a decentralize-everything-switch.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:39:18 PM

No you won't, not over the internet you won't, and no it isn't.

The internet is made up of lots of wires. The way to get access to it is organised. YOu can't use it without an ISP company. ISP compnay get their operating licence from the government. They get access to the network from the government. The main trunk of wires that carry the big bandwidth are leased out to maintenance companies by the government.

So, basically, via several layers of stratification, the government owns the wires that make up the internet we all use.

Let's make our own internet. All we need is a bunch of wires.

Vires in numeris
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:53:12 PM

Of course, plus if the internet dies, you still have your bitcoins. Connecting to the internet will not be easy but it won't be impossible either.

If you're an early adopter you can just move to another country and finance your move with Bitcoins.

If someone tried to kill the internet there would be a revolution in the US. Everyone would be pissed.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:56:47 PM

Of course, plus if the internet dies, you still have your bitcoins. Connecting to the internet will not be easy but it won't be impossible either.

If you're an early adopter you can just move to another country and finance your move with Bitcoins.

If someone tried to kill the internet there would be a revolution in the US. Everyone would be pissed.

well the problem is that if the internet went down, the price for BTC would completely crash as fewer people would believe in it or have access to it.
TheBorg

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:20:14 PM

have you watched Terminator 3? Skynet spread over the internet, infecting millions of computer... Neah "killing" the internet isn't that EZ, at least i hope so.
lucaspm98

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:17:37 PM

That's kind of scary, knowing they could just shut it all off at a moments notice. I doubt they ever would except in an extreme situation because without the internet the whole country would basically freeze.
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 10:49:04 PM

Internet is rather fragile if Tier 1 operators would start messing with it.

There is rather large amount of hand craft on the deeper levels... Just stop handful of entities from routing traffic and you can kill the internet... Or at least make it unbearably slow...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
Rupture

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:26:10 PM

"Too big to fail"
hieroglyph

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 05:22:28 PM

^^^  I'm of the same opinion.  The internet will tried to be tamed like bitcoin but it is just not going to happen.

Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:34:51 PM

You can do severe damage to internet in right places with right resources.

Just mess up with routing and dns servers...

First one can stop large amount of inter network traffic and later one the regular use of internet.

It can stand a nuclear war, but only if there is someone keeping it running...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
spartacus_

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:35:37 PM

The internet cannot be stopped any more.

COINVALIDATION IS SLAVERY NAMECOIN IS FREEDOM
BOYCOTT COINVALIDATION BUY NAMECOINS
cdtc

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:35:46 PM

^^^  I'm of the same opinion.  The internet will tried to be tamed like bitcoin but it is just not going to happen.
Its already been tamed just that we are still  unaware of it.

BetFury                                                     
🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹
                                                    Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                   
just_me

Activity: 420

Jesus Christ Saves Sinners

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:20:35 AM

I remember the days before the internet became more widespread, and at the time when the internet or dot com boom happened,

I was wondering how it could be, that they could unleash this internet thing, without many controls as it seems they had done.

So, perhaps they did have some controls? An internet kill switch?

Sure, I think it may be possible. Planned early on, with the help from all the big tech companies in the US,

in affiliation with the US Government or FBI or CIA ?

Sure, maybe they have that.

I think its possible.

Today is the day that the Lord has made, lets be glad and rejoice in it
greenlion

Activity: 667

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 08:16:13 AM

well the problem is that if the internet went down, the price for BTC would completely crash as fewer people would believe in it or have access to it.

If the internet went down, the price of BTC would be the least of your worries.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 01:38:57 PM

If the internet went down, the price of BTC would be the least of your worries.

yes. this would be dramatically for the economy of the world. but its not possible to kill the complete internet, but you can cut of single countries.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: