Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:57:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: the perfect storm?  (Read 2782 times)
the_sunship (OP)

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:35:22 PM

with Christmas season approaching, more people will have money on their minds, both in spending (gifts, donations, end of year tax purchases) and receiving (Christmas bonuses, monetary gifts, etc.). The media is keenly aware of this and will probably be talking quite a bit about the economy and subsequently, Bitcoin - as it's outperformed every other investment opportunity this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more of the "got rich quick on bitcoin" stories surrounded by ads of expensive cars, diamonds, and other goods most people go into serious debt for....     

Also keep in mind the amount of parties happening from Thanksgiving (US - Nov 28th) to Christmas. I would think many who talk about finance at these parties would also be talking about bitcoin, as they did when the dot coms were taking off. So, although there may be some selling off before christmas, I do think we are going to get a lot of new buyers in the next month through January. I'm open to being wrong, but my gut tells me this is going to go really viral and the numbers will be around $800 or more by Christmas.

Just some ideas I wanted to share. Any opinions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:36:12 PM

forget black friday. this year's hot christmas item? BTC
jagd

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 08:31:04 PM

The Christmas thing is for real.  I gave my kids paper wallets last year, 2 BTC each.  They think I'm a rock star.  And they still haven't figured out how to spend it!
ajax3592

Activity: 210

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 08:36:20 PM

It is supposed to fall 30-40% around Christmas. People might cash out for gifts, holidays, etc.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
Feri22

Activity: 748
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 08:45:41 PM

It is supposed to fall 30-40% around Christmas. People might cash out for gifts, holidays, etc.

China doesn't celebrate Christmas as western countries do...Also buying bitcoin - not the worst idea for a gift...
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:14:26 PM

China doesn't celebrate Christmas as western countries do...Also buying bitcoin - not the worst idea for a gift...

As much as I love BTC, I think it would make a terrible gift.  Every single person I've told about how well it has done this week has said "SELL".

These are the same people that said "SELL" a week ago when I similarly told them about breaking the ATH.

It would be a great idea if they would promise you they won't sell for 1 year, though, and stuck to it!
rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:22:26 PM

As much as I love BTC, I think it would make a terrible gift.  Every single person I've told about how well it has done this week has said "SELL".

These are the same people that said "SELL" a week ago when I similarly told them about breaking the ATH.

It would be a great idea if they would promise you they won't sell for 1 year, though, and stuck to it!

just think of it as a gift card that continually appreciates... if the recipient chooses to sell it well that's too bad for them, cause it could be worth more tomorrow.

i guess an analogy in economic terms would be it is like a bond.
MaxBTC1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 10:23:59 PM

The Christmas thing is for real.  I gave my kids paper wallets last year, 2 BTC each.  They think I'm a rock star.  And they still haven't figured out how to spend it!

Fuck man, I wish my Dad had done this for me.  You are fucking cool, respect!
Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:24:06 AM

what would be really cool are coins which are "sealed" in a way they only open up in a year
maybe some slowly decaying cover-paint and an qr code printed with air reacting paint
sealed in clear glas - if you break it to get the key earlier it would just get lost forever
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:30:07 AM

You could just as easily theorize that people will sell bitcoins to raise fiat funds to buy presents.

the_sunship (OP)

Activity: 230

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:54:35 AM

I don't think we would see massive selloffs to pay for Christmas gifts. At around 430 per coin, I might cash out 10 but that would be it. Not planning on that though, as i think we've got a quite a bit more uptrend to go...
bitboyben

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:02:43 AM

They did have the big online internet sale on "singles day" 11/11

Maybe we have to wait till they get another paycheck or two before they start to gobble up bitcoins.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 07:22:44 AM

People were telling me to sell it all when it went up to $70. People can only see dollar signs and do not understand bitcoin signs which are better.

I have given a bitcoin out to each of my nieces and nephews this year and none have spent it. I basically gave them a vanity address and a private address in a card telling their parents to keep it safe.

I still have one niece and nephew with birthdays this year...they will get a very expensive gift.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 09:29:49 AM

I know someone who has been thinking about getting into Bitcoin since the low this summer, but wanting to wait until it gets back to it again ... they should have done it instead of waiting.  But to the point now, I intend to give them a paper wallet for christmas (it has already appreciated a lot in value since I bought the coins for it).  They hopefully won't want to sell right away, but in any case, I think I'll only give the address to them right away and help them set up a proper and secure environment before importing the private key.  That way, this risk of selling immediately (as well as losing the coins) is reduced. Wink

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
Bitalo_Maciej

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

Lead developer

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 10:02:51 AM

what would be really cool are coins which are "sealed" in a way they only open up in a year
maybe some slowly decaying cover-paint and an qr code printed with air reacting paint
sealed in clear glas - if you break it to get the key earlier it would just get lost forever

That is already possible with lock_time transactions. The way you do this is generate a paper wallet normally, then create a raw transaction that sends funds to it (from a freshly funded address that you will not use anymore in the future - this is important) with lock_time set to unix timestamp of one year from now and sign it. With lock_time parameter set, this transaction will be relayable after the this amount of time (you can try to send it to the network, but it will reject it). Then you just print this transaction data as a QR code and put it on a paper wallet as well.

Unfortunately, there are no tools that make this process easy at the moment, but if you're interested I can write in another topic how exactly you can do it by yourself using bitcoind.

Web wallets get hacked all the time. Computer wallets get hacked all the time as well.
Solution? Hybrid P2SH wallets - safer than your online and offline wallets combined. Check it out, store and trade your Bitcoins with ease of mind!
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 10:16:11 AM

Give your kids a paper wallet with some BTC this christmas.

Give them the private key next christmas  Grin

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
Rupture

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:11:36 AM

We will see a dip when some people cash out to go on holiday or something
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:13:09 PM

That is already possible with lock_time transactions. The way you do this is generate a paper wallet normally, then create a raw transaction that sends funds to it (from a freshly funded address that you will not use anymore in the future - this is important) with lock_time set to unix timestamp of one year from now and sign it. With lock_time parameter set, this transaction will be relayable after the this amount of time (you can try to send it to the network, but it will reject it). Then you just print this transaction data as a QR code and put it on a paper wallet as well.

Unfortunately, there are no tools that make this process easy at the moment, but if you're interested I can write in another topic how exactly you can do it by yourself using bitcoind.

Either you don't understand lock_time, or I misunderstand it.

According to https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Protocol_specification#tx lock_time prevents the transaction from being included in a block until the specified block or unix timestamp.  You are indeed preventing the coins from being spent from your paper wallet for a year, but in the mean time the coins can still be spent from the addresses you used as inputs to your locked transaction.

My understanding of the lock_time feature is that it is used to allow you to potentially change a transaction before it is solidified, not to lock some coins into the ether.

Now if you were to also destroy the private keys of any inputs to your transaction, then you could accomplish what you want (provided those keys were secure before you deleted them and there is no chance they could have leaked to someone).

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Bitalo_Maciej

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

Lead developer

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 03:21:19 PM

According to https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Protocol_specification#tx lock_time prevents the transaction from being included in a block until the specified block or unix timestamp.  You are indeed preventing the coins from being spent from your paper wallet for a year, but in the mean time the coins can still be spent from the addresses you used as inputs to your locked transaction.

My understanding of the lock_time feature is that it is used to allow you to potentially change a transaction before it is solidified, not to lock some coins into the ether.

Now if you were to also destroy the private keys of any inputs to your transaction, then you could accomplish what you want (provided those keys were secure before you deleted them and there is no chance they could have leaked to someone).

I think we both do understand how lock_time works Smiley. You are right on all your points. I did omit some details from this explanation, but the key quote is:

then create a raw transaction that sends funds to it (from a freshly funded address that you will not use anymore in the future - this is important)

The reason for that is that after sending it, you should destroy the initial private key, as you noted later. Then, the only way to spend the funds is to wait until lock_time is complete and push the transaction on the network to fund the private key that you gave out.

The above method of using lock_time was already described somewhere in these forums or the mailing list, I don't remember where exactly though. But if you follow all the steps it should work perfectly.

Web wallets get hacked all the time. Computer wallets get hacked all the time as well.
Solution? Hybrid P2SH wallets - safer than your online and offline wallets combined. Check it out, store and trade your Bitcoins with ease of mind!
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 05:39:37 PM

And they still haven't figured out how to spend it!
You sure they aren't hoarding it on purpose?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: