Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:13:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: any free state project fans (or haters) here?  (Read 1366 times)
Ecurb123 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:09:09 PM

I actually first heard about it way back before they picked a state, now I've been watching it closely for the past 4 years or so.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nlovric

Activity: 336
Merit: 140

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:01:58 AM

What's that?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 05:31:25 PM

It's a fairly utopian idea of buying your own land somewhere and declaring it independent, many people have tried which leads me to believe that realistically I don't think it would be possible for a new country to be formed ( which isn't a puppet of a bigger country ) at least on Earth, now space however is a totally different story which is one of the reasons I think governments are so keen to make it seem like there's fuck all there.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 05:38:03 PM

Free State Project

I moved as part of the Free State Project in 2005 and was the 103rd mover. Ask anything.

The original idea was that since libertarians/liberty-lovers are too diffuse in all the various areas they reside in to have an effect on the culture and more specifically the politics to get the changes we desire, coming together in one state should allow us to gain the critical mass we cannot get elsewhere.

The FSP community is very alternative currency friendly, and bitcoin has been no exception to that. You can use bitcoins to pay for your registration to the main FSP events using bitcoins. You can donate to Shire Sharing, an FSP mover driven charity, with bitcoins. Many of the folks doing odd jobs accept bitcoins. Its a very bitcoin friendly community.

It should be noted that the Free State Project is not about secession or any specific political agenda other than increasing liberty. Many of us are anarchists or secessionists, but the FSP itself doesn't take any position on those issues.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
meeh

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

:)

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 05:50:15 PM

Seems like a nice project the little I've read so far.. But I think unfortunately a lot of us isn't "grown up" enough to take a part of it. It's too much greediness and psychopaths out there.

But again, I support the project. Just worried about that above.

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:55:25 PM

New Hampshire?

I would have thought central Oregon, or Wyoming

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:06:54 PM

I'm an FSP participant. I lived there for a little over a year and loved it. Plan on moving back to fulfill my commitment in due time. I never left my residence w/o my 40 cal, not like I needed it or anything.
Ecurb123 (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:07:01 PM

I do believe they already have over 1500 participants in the state. As far as getting liberty, real liberty, I think it's the best thing going now.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 03:12:24 PM

New Hampshire?

New Hampshire has the 3rd (or is it 4th?) largest legislative body. That means its much easier to get elected. We have had more then ten free staters in the state house for years now. We've gotten some good legislation passed, including one Free Stater who pushed through a repeal of all knife laws.

Central Oregon is a non-starter because it really does need to be the whole state - otherwise you cannot work at the state level, which you need to do to have any effect.

There is a Free State Wyoming project, but it isn't as big or as active. It seems to be mostly folks that just want to live a more survivalist lifestyle out in the boondocks and be left alone. Wyoming is also pretty large, and getting folks together for activist events is more difficult.

I personally know about 200 Free Staters just in Manchester NH, showing that we're not all "leave me alone in the woods" types - although there are plenty of those too.

See also 101 Reasons to Move to New Hampshire.

Also, here's a John Stossel FSP video.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 05:52:42 PM

New Hampshire?

New Hampshire has the 3rd (or is it 4th?) largest legislative body. That means its much easier to get elected. We have had more then ten free staters in the state house for years now. We've gotten some good legislation passed, including one Free Stater who pushed through a repeal of all knife laws

I don't know much about it, but based on this 'acheivement' I would say I am against it. Woohoo, people carry knives now, liberty!
Sovereign_Curtis

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:08:36 PM

It's a fairly utopian idea of buying your own land somewhere and declaring it independent

Really? That's news to me and I signed the Statement of Intent in 2007 (making the move in 2009)

Afaik the original proposal was secessionist in nature, but that is no longer part of the project goal.

And, again afaik, a group purchase of land was never part of the picture.

The goal of the Project is quite simple: To inspire 20,000 self-described liberty activists to relocate to New Hampshire and work tirelessly to create a society in which the MAXIMUM role (no minimum role set, leaving room for Anarchists like myself) of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property.
renaxi

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:00:20 PM

Haven't got thought about joinen a FSP, but would kinda like to buy my own Island, when i im done with my education and have a good amount of Money saved up.

spartacus_

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:30:42 PM

There is no free state. We are all slaves.

COINVALIDATION IS SLAVERY NAMECOIN IS FREEDOM
BOYCOTT COINVALIDATION BUY NAMECOINS
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:32:18 PM

I'm reluctant to join, simply due to the fact that it's easy to cut off the head of a centralized source; the last thing I'd want to do is surround myself with other libertarians, I'd rather just put a giant red target on my back.

Ecurb123 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:10:21 AM

I'm reluctant to join, simply due to the fact that it's easy to cut off the head of a centralized source; the last thing I'd want to do is surround myself with other libertarians, I'd rather just put a giant red target on my back.

or could it be that separated, one is easily not noticed when gone? 
nlovric

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:13:20 AM

The Free State and similar projects are slightly idiotic as freedom can be gained almost only by revolution, be it bloody or agoristic. The other possibilities are somewhere along the lines of meteorites hitting the earth and killing all governmentals, but not all of the people.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:20:04 AM

or could it be that separated, one is easily not noticed when gone? 

Possibly, but I'm not a very vocal libertarian IRL so it's doubtful I'm a target to anybody ATM Tongue

The other possibilities are somewhere along the lines of meteorites hitting the earth and killing all governmentals, but not all of the people.

Naw; you can't kill an idea, it's completely dependent on society to shape their government.  Left alone and without any advancement in rational thought, we would recreate the state in the belief we couldn't survive without it.

nlovric

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:23:27 AM
Last edit: November 17, 2013, 12:41:40 AM by nlovric

What are the Free Staters' thoughts on the Declaration / Declassification of Bit the Coin (BtC) and Call for Assistance? As I wrote, I would like even the basic necessities to be traded, not just high-tech and/or luxury products. Maybe you could gradually cut off all contact with the state while having most goods you need by trading inside and between such communities using the system I have envisioned?

I am also passively working on an off-line Peer-to-Peer (P2P) currency which could potentially be used even by e. g. shepherds in the mountains. The currency would be electronic and physical, simultaneously. With enough financial means and a few skilled hackers, I could have it operational within between 1 and 3 years.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: