Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:41:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CLOSED: [WTS] Chainsaw's 1 BTC MS-66 Casacius Holo Error  (Read 1458 times)
Chainsaw (OP)

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:30:03 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2014, 06:13:43 PM by Chainsaw

Up for sale is a 2011 1 BTC 'Casacius' holo error. (The repeating text in the background of the hologram is misspelled as CASACIUS instead of CASASCIUS.)  Other offerings are enumerated here.

Asking Price: 13.5 BTC 20 14 16 17 18 20

The coin has been graded by ANACS as MS-66. Such a rating is one you will only find in uncirculated coins, reflecting a higher-than-average quality.
Here is the official definition (ANA) of MS-65, which this coin exceeds:
"A coin graded MS-65 shows an attractive high quality of luster and strike for the date and mint.
May have a few small scattered contact marks, or two larger marks may be present.
One or two small patches of hairlines may show.
Noticeable light scuff marks may be seen on the high points of the design. Overall quality is above average and eye appeal is very pleasing..."

As for provenance, this particular coin came directly from Casascius to myself. From there, it was graded prior to the discovery of the pseudo-exploit.
I know of less than 10 other coins that were graded prior to the DefCon failed-but-close security breach.

To my knowledge, only 2 other MS-66 holo errors have ever sold - an MS-66 1 BTC for 15, and an MS-67 1 BTC for 50 - both by SgtSpike.

The front:

The back:

For historical price comparisons, and possibly other same-offerings at lower prices, check the Bitcoin Collectible Marketplace thread.

Here's a link specifically to my other offerings.

List of all First Version Active 1 BTC
Link showing coin balance

Full disclosure - the ANACS case has some scratches. I made sure to make these visible in the pictures rather than obscure them - you need to know exactly what you are buying.
You can rely on ANACS' reputation to know these scratches are on the case, or the coin would not be graded anywhere near its quality.
It is a personal, low-cost choice (less than $50) for a buyer to resubmit this coin, if they desire to get a cleaner case.
Know that in so doing, you will be forever forfeiting this coin's graded-before-exploit quality.
If you would like to go this route, I would be more than happy to help guide you through the regrading process.

A final note on pricing. Most of my offerings do not yet have a well-established market price.
Going first when selling runs a risk - ask too much, you seem greedy. Ask too little, your wares are snapped up, only to be flipped.
I greatly desire to establish a baseline for as many Bitcoin specie as possible...but I do have long-term holding intentions for my collection.

So, my intention is to limit each offering to 1, slowly decreasing the asking price over time, until one is sold.
Anywhere along the way, feel free to ask questions, or make offers! I promise you won't hurt my feelings :-)
Even better, if you have a similar coin...I invite you to undercut me. I'll happily provide a link to your posting from the marketplace thread.

Goal #1 is in establishing market prices. The more sellers we have, the faster we can get there.
Goal #2 is a first-sale of each of these coins.  If we can get to price discovery without a sale of one of my coins, the main objective will still be achieved.

I warmly invite your purchases, offers, and competitive offerings.  
Each data point lowers the barrier to entry into this collectible marketplace, allowing it to grow.

Happy shopping, and by all means, if there are any questions I've left unanswered, feel free to ask below.

-Chainsaw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chainsaw (OP)

x

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:10:21 AM

I've lowered the asking price, figured that was worth a bump.

Chainsaw (OP)

x

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:42:29 PM

I've lowered the asking price on this as well as all my other collectible Casascius offerings - most graded, some not.
Here's a link to my other listings.
Here's a link to the collectible marketplace thread..

Chainsaw (OP)

x

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:14:17 PM

This piece is no longer available. (Though I do have one additional MS-66, obviously different bits, that I'd release if there is interest.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: