Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:21:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW SCAM: BEAWARE  (Read 173 times)
liberox (OP)

Activity: 326
Merit: 8

>> CryptoMedia.press

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 05:35:26 PM

Just received a new scam message via email. It has been sent by noreply@ethernetwork.com and in general contains a notification to let`s upgrade the ETH Wallet to support new SMS feature

IT`S PURE SCAM (fishing) and is sending You to a fishy MEW-looking page, where they will collect Your privkey!

Note, that MEW has no any details about your/someone`s mail address and could not send You any kind of email notifications. As well they never recommend to be used privkey instaed of other more safe access ways..

Do NOT even follow the scam link as the webpage may have integrated even other methods to access Your hardware and get Your data! In case Your antivirus miss that, You can be infected!
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rivkavender

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 05:48:25 PM

wow if people are dumb enough to fall for that, they need to get out of crypto!!
Sellingaccs

Activity: 126
Merit: 50

Ask me for Pools, Nodes and Explorers.

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 06:53:44 PM

I wonder how are people falling for this.
Scams like these have been existing for a long time, but someone still falls for those.
Using metamask is smartest thing to do, as you can use myetherwallet for example without exposing your private key ever to their site.

Which domain do they send you to? Reporting that could help to take the site offline, atleast for a while.

magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 11:38:02 PM

Just received a new scam message via email. It has been sent by noreply@ethernetwork.com and in general contains a notification to let`s upgrade the ETH Wallet to support new SMS feature

IT`S PURE SCAM (fishing) and is sending You to a fishy MEW-looking page, where they will collect Your privkey!

Note, that MEW has no any details about your/someone`s mail address and could not send You any kind of email notifications. As well they never recommend to be used privkey instaed of other more safe access ways..

Do NOT even follow the scam link as the webpage may have integrated even other methods to access Your hardware and get Your data! In case Your antivirus miss that, You can be infected!

Thanks for the warning. Remember that Myetherwallet does not have any sort of email integration. So they will never send you emails or sms notifications saying that you need to upgrade your myetherwallet account details or whatever, because they simply do not collect your email info.

And it doesn't only go for Myetherwallet, phishing scams are common with any crypto wallet. Blockchain.info has seen its fair share of phishing emails as well.

In general, just use your common sense. Hover over the link that you're clicking and verify it first, and search up whether there is actually an official versions of the announcement of whatever the email tells you.
rivkavender

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 05:38:00 PM

I wonder how are people falling for this.
Scams like these have been existing for a long time, but someone still falls for those.
Using metamask is smartest thing to do, as you can use myetherwallet for example without exposing your private key ever to their site.

Which domain do they send you to? Reporting that could help to take the site offline, atleast for a while.

yea but how does someone fall for that Huh boggles my mind guard your crypto like u guard ur bank fiat
coinwizard_

Activity: 336
Merit: 5

Most Advanced Crypto Exchange on the Blockchain

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 07:38:05 PM

Usually it is down to over belief or greed. People think that crypto can make you millions in weeks not realising that it takes time and patience to learn the trade. It's always annoying when these scammers get away with it

CRYPTOCIRCLEX | THE MOST ADVANCED CRYPTO EXCHANGE ON THE BLOCKCHAIN
✪╠════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣✪
allahabadi

Activity: 952
Merit: 166

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 08:57:04 PM

wow if people are dumb enough to fall for that, they need to get out of crypto!!

A fool and his crypto are soon parted; I do wish that people start looking at the tech side too rather than simply believing it to be a make-me-rich scheme.
They need to educate and adopt the tech; rather than simply trying to make money; even the smartest ( Undecided) investor was so lax on security that he lost nearly 2Million. This should be a lesson to the common cryptoenthusiast.
rivkavender

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 10:33:21 AM

Usually it is down to over belief or greed. People think that crypto can make you millions in weeks not realising that it takes time and patience to learn the trade. It's always annoying when these scammers get away with it

I do hear that. alot of people just think if they come to crypto they will make 1 million dollars overnight and thats just no true
Aleister Crowley

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 09:49:37 PM

I received the same message last month via e-mail ,, and if I'm not careful I'm sure I'll be stuck with that fraud, and I do not understand why they know that my email is a user of crypto currency, is there any some web that sells information about our email ??
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: