Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:04:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how to get rid of BTC dust ???  (Read 1368 times)
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:01:00 PM

I only have one (open) wallet.

Do you suggest I used several wallets, and make some transfers from one to another.

Do you have a theoric example, to show me how to aggreegate my dust?

It could be helpful for a lot of newbies who (like me) did not fully understand the BTC conceppts.

regards,

E.

If you have one wallet it's fine. But you don't have enough money to make a transaction

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:06:18 PM

If you only have one wallet it all combines into one, so you can use everything you've gathered. The "dust" only exists when you have very little on one wallet, but since you have everything on one wallet it all combines. Maybe not the best explanation, but I hope it helped.

That is incorrect.  Bitcoin works on a system of discrete inputs and outputs.  Each output remains unique and adding non-dust outputs to a wallet with dust doesn't "magic" them away.  You will have a wallet with dust and non-dust.

To OP.  The min fee on low priority tx has been lowered at least three times in the history of Bitcoin.  There is nothing you can do to get rid of dust.  Someday however the amounts that are considered dust now may not be due to higher valuation. 
BarkinTree

Activity: 204

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:07:31 PM

hold onto it and don't move it IMO. too expensive right now. but if bitcoin is worth 7 figures someday, that dust will be worth it to move.  Smiley
emilia79 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:11:16 PM

my Idea, if my readings are correct ...

When bitcoin44me say : "No, you can send it all with 1 transaction if you spend enough btc to that address"

example:

I'll have V1=0.05 BTC + V2=10 µBTC in the first Wallet W1 (on my computer).

I create an E-wallet W2 at coinbase for example, and transfer V1+V2 from the first wallet W1 to the second Wallet W2. So I aggregate V1+V2=> V3

And then I go back and tranfert V3 from Wallet W2 to wallet W1.

Is it correct ?
Arksun

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:12:00 PM

If you only have one wallet it all combines into one, so you can use everything you've gathered. The "dust" only exists when you have very little on one wallet, but since you have everything on one wallet it all combines. Maybe not the best explanation, but I hope it helped.

That is incorrect.  Bitcoin works on a system of discrete inputs and outputs.  Each output remains unique and adding non-dust outputs to a wallet with dust doesn't "magic" them away.  You will have a wallet with dust and non-dust.

To OP.  The min fee on low priority tx has been lowered at least three times in the history of Bitcoin.  There is nothing you can do to get rid of dust.  Someday however the amounts that are considered dust now may not be due to higher valuation. 

That's not what Jacce meant though, he's correct, as long as all that dust is in a single wallet, just go by the total balance, doesn't matter if its thousands of tiny bits collected together, or even seperate addresses, they're all pooled in a transfer no problems if the total balance is high enough.

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀

▀█▄▄  ▀▀█▄▄█▀▀   ▄▄█
 ▀▀███▄▄     ▄▄██▀██
     ▀███   ██▀  ▄█
██     ██  ██ ▄██▀██
▀██    ██  ███▀  ▄██
 ▀███▄▄██  ██ ▄███▀
    ▀▀███  ▀██▀▀
Just.Bet 

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
DICE
LOTTERY
PLINKO
COIN FLIP
CRASH
WHEEL
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
        ███████       ▄▄██▄
                  ▄▄███▀▀██▄
      ██████   ▄███████▄▄███▄
               ▀██  █████████▄
                ▀█████████▀▀██▄
████████████     ▀███▀▀███▄▄██▀
██  ████  ██      ▀██▄▄███▀▀
█████▀▀█████  ██   ▀██▀▀
█████▄▄█████
██  ████  ██   ██████
████████████
DECENTRALIZED
PROVABLY FAIR
ON CHAIN GAMES
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
[/center]
emilia79 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:18:42 PM

OK.

So all I have to do is to add sufficient balance to my dust.

1) At total, I have around 0.01 BTC in dust.

2) I add a big amount, but how big ?

1 BTC ? less ?

What do you think ??

P.S.And then maybe I'll write an howto : "dust for newbie will not go with the wind"
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 10:20:36 PM

No, wrong title maybe

but I have tiny coins;

I can do nothing with them separately (1µ BTc there , 3 µBTC here ...) but their amount has increasing to a (aggregated) whole 0.01 BTC.

So how "save" them to be able to use them, once aggregated

?

Well, you can send bitcoins without paying a transaction fee, but it will take many days for the coins to arrive.
It'll be easy if you are using blockchain.info; go to custom send and choose your TX fee.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:24:25 PM

No, wrong title maybe

but I have tiny coins;

I can do nothing with them separately (1µ BTc there , 3 µBTC here ...) but their amount has increasing to a (aggregated) whole 0.01 BTC.

So how "save" them to be able to use them, once aggregated

?

Well, you can send bitcoins without paying a transaction fee, but it will take many days for the coins to arrive.

Maybe, maybe not.  That depends on a lot of variables, some of which are controllable.  Even if so, the existence & validity of the transaction is provable.  If one were sending them somewhere that one could wait for, such as a donation or sending it to oneself for consolidation, the time frame to confirmation would be less of an issue.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:37:10 PM

That's not what Jacce meant though, he's correct, as long as all that dust is in a single wallet, just go by the total balance, doesn't matter if its thousands of tiny bits collected together, or even seperate addresses, they're all pooled in a transfer no problems if the total balance is high enough.

And make the transaction massively large and thus the fees more than the value of the dust spent.
starik69
Legendary

Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:41:07 PM

If you add 1Btc to dust wallet after 24 hours you can combine (send to the same address) that 1Btc with some dust without fees. Use coincontrol https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=144331.0 , with it you can see what combinations of dusts makes what fees.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:45:18 PM

OK.

So all I have to do is to add sufficient balance to my dust.

1) At total, I have around 0.01 BTC in dust.

2) I add a big amount, but how big ?

1 BTC ? less ?

What do you think ??

As long as the transaction total is over .05 BTC, you shouldn't have many issues.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
po1992one

Activity: 133

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:55:42 PM

my Idea, if my readings are correct ...

When bitcoin44me say : "No, you can send it all with 1 transaction if you spend enough btc to that address"

example:

I'll have V1=0.05 BTC + V2=10 µBTC in the first Wallet W1 (on my computer).

I create an E-wallet W2 at coinbase for example, and transfer V1+V2 from the first wallet W1 to the second Wallet W2. So I aggregate V1+V2=> V3

And then I go back and tranfert V3 from Wallet W2 to wallet W1.

Is it correct ?

No it doesnt work this way. You might aggregate your dust but it is a lot of work. 1st you need wallet with coin control feature. 2nd you select inputs V1=0.05 BTC + V2=10 µBTC  and send to V3. But before you can, you must wait 40 days - (1 BTC per input days). Then the transaction can take many days before included to blockchain. Of course if you aggregate 2 small inputs, you must age your 0.05 input 60 days. And so on.
oleedee

Activity: 25

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:01:34 PM

surely you could move an amount that is big enough to incur 0 transaction fees as it moves through your wallets and collects the dust... ?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:05:35 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 11:35:13 PM by DeathAndTaxes

surely you could move an amount that is big enough to incur 0 transaction fees as it moves through your wallets and collects the dust... ?

Sure but it takes time and even high priority txs (which aren't required by most nodes to include a fee) still need a miner willing to include the tx in a block..  You could either create a 1 BTC + 1 small output tx every day and maybe get it confirmed in a day so you eliminate 1 spam output every 2 days or so.   It will require coin control and properly constructing transactions, and some charity on the part of the miner.   In the end you might "recover" maybe half a cent per day in dust spam for a lot of manual work.  Or you could just wait.  The min mandatory fee on low priority txs was at one time 0.1 BTC it has been lowered 3 times to 0.1 mBTC.  It is entirely possible that in the future if the exchange rate keeps rising the limit will be lowered further making once "unspendable" dust, spendable again.

Making a giant free tx is probably pointless.  No miners is going to incude a 20KB unpaid tx even if it is high priority.  Remember miners aren't required to include any specific tx.
Haidang1796

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:08:38 PM

I don't really get your question  Huh

emilia79 (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:10:19 AM

Thanks to all for all your answers and tricks.

The BTC management is not trivial. Even Senior members have different opinions.

Johanna

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:07:26 AM

Create a new wallet maybe?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: