Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 04:00:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello world of bitcoin.  (Read 680 times)
oleedee (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:34:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new on the forums here and just thought I would introduce myself and ask a couple questions that are puzzling me, I'm sure when I get time to explore more Ill pick things up quick as I'm no stranger to the web and coding.

I will be setting up a secure savings wallet for myself soon and moving what I have to it. what in peoples opinions is the best method. I was thinking of making two memory sticks and having private keys and password reminder images on both. but I'm also considering a paper wallet...  what do people think is best?
Also what client is good right now? I think I might migrate to a slightly more advanced one, is the process of migrating strait forward? is there any risk of losing your btc in this process?!

What do people think of darkwallet? do the team look like they are up to the task? what are the main hurdles for them in creating the most anon wallet possible?
Sorry for newbness, any simple answers or pointing in the direction of this info would be much appreciated!

what does it mean "seen by 3 peers" are these single miners or clusters of some kind?

On a side note; I'm a painter and Ive decided to accept bitcoins for my work, please check out oliverdorman.co.uk/bc.html to see what I do and donate a few penny's so at least i know my new wallet works.. Smiley
If anyone in the BTC world is in need of artworks don't hesitate to drop me an e-mail and I will see what i can do.

Exciting times. Thanks
 Shocked Kiss Cool
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 11:35:28 PM

Welcome to the world of digital currency.

Use caution as you tread the white water rapids of Crypto! And "may all your bitcoin dreams turn to gold!"  Cheesy  Grin  Cheesy
nerFohanzo

Activity: 631
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:58:08 PM

I will be setting up a secure savings wallet for myself soon and moving what I have to it. what in peoples opinions is the best method. I was thinking of making two memory sticks and having private keys and password reminder images on both. but I'm also considering a paper wallet...  what do people think is best?

Two memory sticks and having private keys and password reminder images on both might look nice, but data on memory sticks can reliably last only few years. If you print paper wallet, it will last longer especially if safe in two different places.
lilbitz

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:02:58 AM

I second nerFohanzo: thumb drives aren't optimal for long term cold storage. For paper wallets, archival paper is optimal since regular printer paper can deteriorate. I've wondered about laminating my paper wallets for extra security but never gone to the trouble. Maybe someday I'll be paranoid enough to take the plunge. Smiley
CaribbeanBitcoin

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:20:39 AM

Welcome from the beautiful Caribbeans!  Smiley

Engrave your info into wood or metal. That way it will survive time and water.

Good luck man!  Cheesy
Shark

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:58:24 AM

hi Smiley
oleedee (OP)

Activity: 25

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:20:32 PM

HAHA!!! thankyou.

I am actually a wood carver so the engraving suggestion is very appealing HAHAHA!!

thanks,

wondering: meeting people in person and buying with cash though localbitcoins. how does it normally go down? any tips if I do this? A few people seem unresponsive on the website when you initiate a trade. is this normal?

thanks,
1001bitcoins

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:26:03 AM

you have a wilde ride in front of you
dudebit

Activity: 31

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:34:28 AM

I went the stone tablets route...
Had to grind off some morality top ten list - but worth the effort!
R_Menace

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:54:10 AM

Hello I am new here also. Thought i make my first post here.
nonny12

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:10:53 AM

wondering: meeting people in person and buying with cash though localbitcoins. how does it normally go down? any tips if I do this? A few people seem unresponsive on the website when you initiate a trade. is this normal?

I haven't done a transaction yet myself, but this thread helped me know what to expect.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137272.0
bitbudz

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 07:15:04 AM

just trying to post having trouble with tor!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: