Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:35:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The beginning of the end?  (Read 4223 times)
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:12:56 AM

Of course it will only be disruptive and interesting if it is more widely used in the future.
Well, why do you think the price is as high as it is? Why didnt the take of the "major" bitcoin site silkroad have any impact? Can you tell me any other conclusion other an uptake in mainstream usage is what the "investors" believe?

I suppose I'm just not as positive coin taint use is as inevitable as you seem to assume it is.  I accept that given main stream adoption coin taint, at least on some level, may be inevitable, I don't accept that either are yet a foregone conclusion.
I´m fairly sure the mixing pools, which basicly are laundering services, take the first hit. Without those tracing becomes easy. Might still take a couple of years, but i think the "wild west" days nearing an end.
I'm confused, in one sentence you make the claim the closure of Silk Road didn't have "any impact", then in the next you seem to be making the case that the recent price hike was due solely or mostly to it.  I'll assume your point is that you think closure of Silk Road made price go up instead of down.

Correct me if I'm wrong about your position but I believe you are making the assumption that for bitcoin to exist in any interesting way at all it must be able to be regulated and controlled through redlists.  You then go on to make the assumption that closing Silk Road had the impact of making investors believe mainstream adoption was more likely and that this was the primary reason for the recent climb in bitcoin valuation against other currencies AND that this bolsters the credibility of your redlists assumption.

It's very possible you aren't wrong but I think there are too many unknowns and assumptions in your argument to consider it a forgone conclusion.  3 years ago I didn't know anything like bitcoin would exist.  Through bitcoin things are possible that were never possible before.  Let's not stifle it right out of the gate.  Let's adopt the same attitude that allowed bitcoin's creation in the first place and do what we can to make it the currency we want and not the one we are stuck with.  Remember we are forced to use our respective government issued currency, bitcoin is voluntary, I choose not to volunteer to put power and control of bitcoin in the hands of a few that want to make authoritative redlists.
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:22:15 AM

They just had a big story with Max Keiser on RT television interviewing a developer for Dark Wallet who discussed coin join and other stuff.

Good to see people fighting back against this madness!
btc4ever

Activity: 321

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:29:07 AM

I think that if darkwallet implements coinjoin (or similar) and bitcoin-qt does not, then we need to begin promoting darkwallet as the defacto client.

Ideally, all wallets would support maximal mixing/privacy.  Until that is the case though, lets support those that do.

In other words, vote with our feet, and withdraw support from non private wallet solutions.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:50:24 AM

I think that if darkwallet implements coinjoin (or similar) and bitcoin-qt does not, then we need to begin promoting darkwallet as the defacto client.

Ideally, all wallets would support maximal mixing/privacy.  Until that is the case though, lets support those that do.

In other words, vote with our feet, and withdraw support from non private wallet solutions.

Exactly.

How do we defund or disolve the Bitcoin Foundation? It's obvious they have become shills for the US government.
F-bernanke

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:22:29 AM

I liked the quote I saw somewhere on this forum: Bitcoin is a human rights movement.

$= Slavery
€= Slavery
AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:40:09 PM

I liked the quote I saw somewhere on this forum: Bitcoin is a human rights movement.

$= Slavery
€= Slavery

Free yourself of your chains, for today, you cease to be a debt slave.  Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: