Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:28:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen bitcoin from Mt Gox  (Read 840 times)
mtk717 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:43:09 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum, wanted to seek advice on what happened to me last night.

My account on mtgox was cleared out (over 5 BTC) by an unknown attacker. I am confident that I was not the target of a phishing scam. Could be a keylogger but I haven't found anything on my computer thus far.  Maybe it is something shady on the Mt Gox side?

I have IP and transaction/wallet address, but still not sure if I have any recourse. Mt Gox has not yet gotten back to me, which I am not happy about. Any ideas?
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:20:45 AM

You need to contact support and be patient until a response has been made.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
RW02

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:41:12 AM

unlikely you will get anything back if the fault was your end for example a weak password. ip addresses dont really help these days
MaxBTC1

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 12:42:26 AM

Contact support, thats realistically all you can do bro.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:48:16 AM

Never mine on the same computer you store your bitcoins on.

An easy way to introduce a keylogger is to offer someone some mining software that's faster than the rest. Oh just ignore the virus alert it's a false positive.  Wink

raskolnikovx

Activity: 186

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:56:07 AM

Consider switching to Linux at least to handle your Bitcoins (you dont need to be a Linux fan)
People can say whatever they want but I have being using Linux for some years and never got any kind of virus.
Cant say the same from my old XP and Win7 ...
CaribbeanBitcoin

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 01:14:30 AM

Mt Gox is slow man! You would be better off waiting for a turtle to cross the valley then to wait for them to finish.

You need to be making sure you use good anti-keylogger software. It's worth it's weight in Bitcoins  Cheesy

Take it easy  Grin
raspcoin

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 01:59:46 AM

Consider switching to Linux at least to handle your Bitcoins (you dont need to be a Linux fan)
People can say whatever they want but I have being using Linux for some years and never got any kind of virus.
Cant say the same from my old XP and Win7 ...

I can only concur with this assertion. Using mainstream distributions like Ubuntu is as easy as using mainstream cryptocurrencies.

MilesJohan

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 02:12:44 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forum, wanted to seek advice on what happened to me last night.

My account on mtgox was cleared out (over 5 BTC) by an unknown attacker. I am confident that I was not the target of a phishing scam. Could be a keylogger but I haven't found anything on my computer thus far.  Maybe it is something shady on the Mt Gox side?

I have IP and transaction/wallet address, but still not sure if I have any recourse. Mt Gox has not yet gotten back to me, which I am not happy about. Any ideas?

That sucks. Maybe some hacker manage to get ur acc and password?

MileyJohanson
Thenen

Activity: 226

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 02:12:51 AM

Do you have a F2A?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: