Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 11:03:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum Physics Proves That There IS An Afterlife, Claims Scientist  (Read 2604 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:07:31 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2503370/Quantum-physics-proves-IS-afterlife-claims-scientist.html

- Robert Lanza claims the theory of biocentrism says death is an illusion
- He said life creates the universe, and not the other way round
- This means space and time don't exist in the linear fashion we think it does
- He uses the famous double-split experiment to illustrate his point
- And if space and time aren't linear, then death can't exist in 'any real sense' either

Most scientists would probably say that the concept of an afterlife is either nonsense, or at the very least unprovable.

Yet one expert claims he has evidence to confirm an existence beyond the grave - and it lies in quantum physics.

Professor Robert Lanza claims the theory of biocentrism teaches that death as we know it is an illusion created by our consciousness.

'We think life is just the activity of carbon and an admixture of molecules – we live a while and then rot into the ground,' said the scientist on his website.

Lanza, from Wake Forest University School of Medicine in North Carolina, continued that as humans we believe in death because 'we've been taught we die', or more specifically, our consciousness associates life with bodies and we know that bodies die.

pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:23:04 AM

The main key here is to prove that mind can exist without a body as we known. That would be biggest step of XXI century.

MaxBTC1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 12:30:32 AM

are there bitcoins in afterlife though?  Huh Undecided  Cheesy
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:40:58 AM

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

I always remember this quote from Richard Feynman when I hear stuff like this.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:50:30 AM

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

Exactly.
I found a couple of youtube videos with him when I looked for his name. I will try to learn more about his theory.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:31:16 AM

are there bitcoins in afterlife though?  Huh Undecided  Cheesy
No need, you can create anything with your mind.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Rupture

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:28:22 AM

Does anyone truly understand it or is that an illusion too Smiley
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:36:37 AM

The main key here is to prove that mind can exist without a body as we known. That would be biggest step of XXI century.

you mean consciousness. the mind is part of the body, isn't it? consciousness is not part of the body, but just tethered to it.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:49:27 AM

I remember reading Lanza's stuff a few years ago, and I couldn't help but feel that he was taking the whole "it takes observation to collapse the wave function" a bit too literally.

Now, consider this: if you step into the transporter room in Star Trek, and Scotty beams you planetside, essentially, he has vaporized you on the ship, and reconstructed you on the planet, with every atom and molecule arranged perfectly, thus your brain is exactly as it was in the transporter room, complete with your current thoughts and memories. You think you're the same guy. What the heck, it always seems to work, so why complain?

One day Scotty beams you down, and just like every other time, you arrive on the planet, memories intact, and go about your business. All is good. However, up on the ship, the transporter failed to vaporize you. One of Scotty's assistants walks up to you, and says "Sir, there's been a slight malfunction, but no worries, you're down on the planet. Now, if you'll just come with me...", as he leads you off towards the secondary vaporizer.

The point, of course, is what does it mean to have your consciousness live on?
darkmule
Legendary

Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:02:11 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2503370/Quantum-physics-proves-IS-afterlife-claims-scientist.html

- Robert Lanza claims the theory of biocentrism says death is an illusion
- He said life creates the universe, and not the other way round

Sounds like he restated the anthropic principle and then put "quantum physics" next to it.

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:07:47 AM

I remember reading Lanza's stuff a few years ago, and I couldn't help but feel that he was taking the whole "it takes observation to collapse the wave function" a bit too literally.

Now, consider this: if you step into the transporter room in Star Trek, and Scotty beams you planetside, essentially, he has vaporized you on the ship, and reconstructed you on the planet, with every atom and molecule arranged perfectly, thus your brain is exactly as it was in the transporter room, complete with your current thoughts and memories. You think you're the same guy. What the heck, it always seems to work, so why complain?

One day Scotty beams you down, and just like every other time, you arrive on the planet, memories intact, and go about your business. All is good. However, up on the ship, the transporter failed to vaporize you. One of Scotty's assistants walks up to you, and says "Sir, there's been a slight malfunction, but no worries, you're down on the planet. Now, if you'll just come with me...", as he leads you off towards the secondary vaporizer.

1) Thats not real so any question leading up to it is irrelavent
2) Lets get to the transporting stage first to prove the theory once and for all. Pay someone alot of money and it will happen.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:13:48 AM

2) Lets get to the transporting stage first to prove the theory once and for all. Pay someone alot of money and it will happen.

There's no need to for transporters to be real to follow the logic of the thought experiment. The scientists who worked out quantum theory did nothing but thought experiments themselves.

You're doing yourself a disservice by making the ridiculous assumption that a transporter be real to draw conclusions from the thought experiment.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:18:43 AM

you mean consciousness. the mind is part of the body, isn't it? consciousness is not part of the body, but just tethered to it.
I would say mind and consciousness are one.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
meeh

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

:)

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 02:30:22 PM

You can't mix mind and consciousness. Mind is a product of your biological computer (human body). The mind is the ego, consciousness is the awareness that looks at it.

Simple saying; mind = software, body = hardware, consciousness = end-user.

Tip: Osho - Awareness

al.matic

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 02:44:21 PM

All QM interpretations are BS, don't believe people who tell you: "You are too stupid to understand this, so don't even try it."
Particle-wave duality simply makes no sense. Just because the equations work does not mean anybody understands them. But it is a little embarrassing for QM physicists to say that they don't understand their equations, so they essentially tell ordinary (intelligent) people they are stupid.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 02:52:00 PM

All QM interpretations are BS, don't believe people who tell you: "You are too stupid to understand this, so don't even try it."
Particle-wave duality simply makes no sense. Just because the equations work does not mean anybody understands them. But it is a little embarrassing for QM physicists to say that they don't understand their equations, so they essentially tell ordinary (intelligent) people they are stupid.

Feynman got a Nobel Prize for advances in Quantum Mechanics, the BS you see out there is from people who know nothing abut QM and make outrageous conclusions, a good example for this is Deepak Chopra.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 02:53:16 PM

Just burst out laughing when I saw a link to the daily mail, for those who don't know, the daily mail in the UK is this totally mockworthy newspaper that rarely does any fact checking, they're pretty much Fox news in written form, by the way, if this results in an alternate reality portal or a time travel device, me and several past other versions or future versions of myself will do everything to destroy it. The guy who made this claim is probably has the same experience in science as the high school teacher who claimed the CERN collider could make a black hole, by the way, you'll see the daily mail posting that up as if it's fact as well.

I'm certainly intrigued in the idea of after life and finding out about it but unfortunately it seems the only real way we can get there is dying so until we find out how to bring back people from their deaths in multiple ways we aren't going to get many answers about it for now, all I know is if God does exist, I'm going to kill the son of a bitch when I die so it's in his best interest to keep me alive as long as possible.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:59:15 PM

Einstein's theory of general relativity was predicting the existence of black holes. HE thought that was crazy, and yet he was correct.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:01:40 PM

If I (subject) perceive a tree (object), am I the tree?

Subsequently, if I (subject) perceive my body or brain (objects), am I my body or brain?
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:06:41 PM

Afterlife? It's possible. Doesn't mean would know what's going on. We exist of atoms which are proven to exist infinity and can't be destroyed. Therefore, after someone has passed away the atoms are still existing. Don't think of it that afterlife means we would exist in the same way as before.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: