Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:00:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Service "snapCard" - purchase anything online with BTC?  (Read 5783 times)
FatMagic (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:02:33 AM

Just found this new service that I was referred to via Reddit (/r/Bitcoin) -- I was curious if anyone else has had a chance to check out/try out this service.

Apparently you can purchase from any online site using snapCard. I'd like to see how it works, and if it works with ANY site. I have a few in mind that do not accept BTC, and this would be perfect if it works.

If anyone wants to try it, I need to get 3 referrals to get into the Beta. Bit of a pyramid/referral scheme to get in... but I'd like to give it a shot and see how it works. I would be glad to report back my findings.

Use this link to sign up if you try it out.

http://www.joinsnapcard.com/137

Thanks - and let me know if you have any success with trying it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ruzka

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:51:36 AM

Signed up under your link, the service sounds cool but the 3 member referral requirement is a bit worrying anyways
heres my link if anyone is kind enough to use it
http://www.joinsnapcard.com/143

homad

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:39:39 AM

It's the best stop-gap solution for "The easiest way to buy anything on the Internet using any virtual currency."  It's awesome so far. I used it for my line level converter for hooking my sub/amp to my car from Amazon, and a Walmart gas card from Walmart.com. As I understand it, they make you link your Coinbase account with their API, it was as easy as logging into coinbase once and saying ok to it, and from conversing with support (the co-founder, Michael) it only draws from you if you have BTC in the Coinbase account/wallet/s.

In other words, i was concerned about what happens when i have zero BTC in my Coinbase account? Will it draw from my bank account, surely not?
The answer is, no it will not

"If you have 0BTC in your coinbase, it will move into processing (as per normal) but the order will be cancelled if there's insufficient funds."...
"I'll eventually make this customisable to the user so they can set preferences associated with it. -Michael

So all that remains to be seen is the products at my doorstep, but, I have high hopes. Super heroes run SnapCard
http://pandodaily.com/2013/10/11/superhero-laundry-founders-launch-startup-to-prove-a-point-then-shut-it-down-once-they-succeed

FatMagic (OP)

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:58:25 AM

Thanks for signing up guys, I got into the Beta. Looking forward to testing it out!

And thanks for the information homad, that's very helpful. Clears up exactly the question I would have had about insufficient funds in Coinbase account.

UPENtXF

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:17:06 PM

Has anyone bought anything with SnapCard on Bitcoin Black Friday, and received it yet?

I see  they are closed for "extensive technical modification", which in Bitcoin history has often meant "we are disappearing with all of your money".

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
https://bisq.network/
DigitalHermit

Activity: 150

Thank you! Thank you! ...

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:13:50 PM

Has anyone bought anything with SnapCard on Bitcoin Black Friday, and received it yet?

I see  they are closed for "extensive technical modification", which in Bitcoin history has often meant "we are disappearing with all of your money".

Uhh... where did you see that message? The main site is still open for business as far as I can tell.

https://www.joinsnapcard.com/
UPENtXF

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:30:11 PM

Uhh... where did you see that message? The main site is still open for business as far as I can tell.

https://www.joinsnapcard.com/
http://www.snapcard.com/
How many snapcards are there?

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
carpetbagger

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

You can trust me, I have an avatar

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 11:56:53 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2013, 10:24:09 PM by carpetbagger

Pretty sure I can wave my bitcoins goodbye to these jerks. They've ignored all questions in regards to my order that I paid days ago (the site is still requesting that I pay it). The only time they've been forthcoming is trying to get me to make new orders.

How many snapcards are there? One too many, I would say.

Edit - I got a tracking number nearly a week after placing the order.

Keep clam & hodl on
gamathers

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:58:35 PM

I placed an order with Snapcard on 12/14 to make a purchase on Amazon for about $6.00, it arrived today (12/19 ). I don't know if they will continue, but I received that order. As far as the ease of purchasing an item, it is very easy. I don't have a Coinbase account so after the order they send an email saying what I owe and the BC address of where to send it.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 05:14:44 AM

That was fast. Less than a month from initial spam to FAIL.
Bobbydiggital

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:19:23 AM

SNAP is currently undergoing extensive technical modification.

As a result of this modification, all SNAP services are being suspended.

Huh
UPENtXF

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 01:46:52 PM

One of my business partners still hasn't received a tracking number 3 WEEKS AFTER placing the order on Black Friday. "The cofounders" doing the support stopped responding...

AND that order is for an item costing SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS!

So far, most of the bitcoin merchants I tried or heard of are either lame or crooked and unethical. I think I am just going to convert to USD and spend it that way.

At least that way one has recourse, other than just trying to contact the merchant and being ignored.

imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 01:51:57 PM

I ordered a gift certificate to a site sent on black friday. SnapCard said they would have to order it manually.
After that, they dropped the order, without any notice or explanation, and don't respond to inquiries.  Angry

UPENtXF

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 04:05:02 PM

One of my business partners still hasn't received a tracking number 3 WEEKS AFTER placing the order on Black Friday. "The cofounders" doing the support stopped responding...

So far, most of the bitcoin merchants I tried or heard of are either lame or crooked and unethical. I think I am just going to convert to USD and spend it that way.

At least that way one has recourse, other than just trying to contact the merchant and being ignored.
Update: Just heard more of the details. The vendor had some kind of questions, and called the SnapCard, which didn't respond. So, the vendor cancelled the order.

Last message from SnapCard was that the item would be delivered 1 week ago. NO further response from SnapCard, and no refund! The item in question was $800 !!!!

The bitcoin community is being ripped of by these irreversible payment merchants worse than they ever were by credit card companies or banks! And have no recourse!

So much for a "successful" Bitcoin Black Friday...

dancingnancy

Activity: 661
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 04:29:17 PM

Update: Just heard more of the details. The vendor had some kind of questions, and called the SnapCard, which didn't respond. So, the vendor cancelled the order.

Last message from SnapCard was that the item would be delivered 1 week ago. NO further response from SnapCard, and no refund! The item in question was $800 !!!!

The bitcoin community is being ripped of by these irreversible payment merchants worse than they ever were by credit card companies or banks! And have no recourse!

So much for a "successful" Bitcoin Black Friday...

I ordered a TV, xbox and games.. received them all... I am surprised, customer service was fast on their chat and all that etc.
UPENtXF

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 04:33:47 PM

I ordered a TV, xbox and games.. received them all... I am surprised, customer service was fast on their chat and all that etc.
I am not surprized. How many times have we heard the same stories, where only the names are different?

BitSpend was just as lame. I've recently had a similar problem with GiftCardZen, but for a relatively small amount.

We found where the transaction went - to a wallet that has more than 6200 btc in it !!!
https://blockchain.info/address/19mfTX5NpwwYjLqbAM8BQAxsNgfd7GESc5

Since the vendor canceled the order, SnapCard isn't out any fiat for it either.

My guess, it turned out to be like a Ponzi: they used the btc they got from this order to get the the fiat to buy your stuff. However, because this order was delayed due to some vendor inquiry, SnapCard ran out of fiat by that time due to the exchange rate correction.
So, they decided to just quietly let the order cancel and stop responding to emails, like a teenage girl who stops answering calls from an unwanted suitor, hoping he will eventually get the message... Cheesy

Based on this and my own experiences, I will only send btc directly to a merchant if that's all they accept. Otherwise, I'll turn it into fiat first, where I have recourse if they don't deliver, and avoid retards like SnapCard, and other lame btc merchants.

dancingnancy

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 06:58:42 PM

I am not surprized. How many times have we heard the same stories, where only the names are different?

BitSpend was just as lame. I've recently had a similar problem with GiftCardZen, but for a relatively small amount.

We found where the transaction went - to a wallet that has more than 6200 btc in it !!!
https://blockchain.info/address/19mfTX5NpwwYjLqbAM8BQAxsNgfd7GESc5

Since the vendor canceled the order, SnapCard isn't out any fiat for it either.

My guess, it turned out to be like a Ponzi: they used the btc they got from this order to get the the fiat to buy your stuff. However, because this order was delayed due to some vendor inquiry, SnapCard ran out of fiat by that time due to the exchange rate correction.
So, they decided to just quietly let the order cancel and stop responding to emails, like a teenage girl who stops answering calls from an unwanted suitor, hoping he will eventually get the message... Cheesy

Based on this and my own experiences, I will only send btc directly to a merchant if that's all they accept. Otherwise, I'll turn it into fiat first, where I have recourse if they don't deliver, and avoid retards like SnapCard, and other lame btc merchants.

So, what exactly happened?  They said they completed the order, and subsequently didn't order anything for you, then returned your BTC?
UPENtXF

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:32:12 PM

So, what exactly happened?  They said they completed the order, and subsequently didn't order anything for you, then returned your BTC?

They way I understand the story:

1. SnapCard was paid for it and ordered the item.
2. SnapCard told the recipient that the order would arrive Th/Fr a week ago now, but didn't give any tracking info (on this 800$ item!)
3. The vendor had some kind of question for SnapCard, and contacted them somehow.
4. SnapCard didn't respond to the vendor's inquiry.
5. The vendor cancelled the order due to lack of SnapCard response.
6. SnapCard did NOT refund the BTC, NOR did they reorder the item.
7. SnapCard did not respond to the emails from the recipient requesting tracking number and order status.

So, the orderer is out $800 worth of BTC, the recipient received nothing, SnapCard  has the BTC!
VIVA the new revolutionary, irreversible-payment economy!  Kiss

The whole thing - just as Bitspend did - smells of teenagers in their mom's basement, with big ideas and coding skills, but no financial/business experience or capital. If the only capital they ever got in their life was from their parents in the form of an allowance, then not giving anything in return for it seems no big deal to them. And ignoring questions about its disposition is the same as ignoring annoying questions from their mom... Cheesy

Best of all, since the revolutionary Bitcoin is irreversible and unregulated, there is not even the danger of being sent to after-school detention for absconding with it! Truly a monumental, "low-friction" payment system! Cheesy

dancingnancy

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 08:29:30 PM

So, what exactly happened?  They said they completed the order, and subsequently didn't order anything for you, then returned your BTC?

They way I understand the story:

1. SnapCard was paid for it and ordered the item.
2. SnapCard told the recipient that the order would arrive Th/Fr a week ago now, but didn't give any tracking info (on this 800$ item!)
3. The vendor had some kind of question for SnapCard, and contacted them somehow.
4. SnapCard didn't respond to the vendor's inquiry.
5. The vendor cancelled the order due to lack of SnapCard response.
6. SnapCard did NOT refund the BTC, NOR did they reorder the item.
7. SnapCard did not respond to the emails from the recipient requesting tracking number and order status.

So, the orderer is out $800 worth of BTC, the recipient received nothing, SnapCard  has the BTC!
VIVA the new revolutionary, irreversible-payment economy!  Kiss

The whole thing - just as Bitspend did - smells of teenagers in their mom's basement, with big ideas and coding skills, but no financial/business experience or capital. If the only capital they ever got in their life was from their parents in the form of an allowance, then not giving anything in return for it seems no big deal to them. And ignoring questions about its disposition is the same as ignoring annoying questions from their mom... Cheesy

Best of all, since the revolutionary Bitcoin is irreversible and unregulated, there is not even the danger of being sent to after-school detention for absconding with it! Truly a monumental, "low-friction" payment system! Cheesy

Shit, I see.  Yeah, that is an odd situation.  I was wondering if this would possibly happen, especially when you auto convert your coins from BitPay, you are totally reliant on SnapCard to make sure everything goes right, or you will never see anything again. 

I am wondering if this is an isolated incident or happened to others?  I am also interested to see if SnapCard makes the person whole after this fiasco.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 04:33:42 AM

They took the money and ran.

Whois info for "snapcard.com":

Admin Name: HOLST-RONESS, ERIK
Admin Organization:
Admin Street: 2 rue du Chateau
Admin City: GENEVA
Admin State/Province: GE
Admin Postal Code: 1203
Admin Country: CH
Admin Phone: 00 41 22 340 7638
Admin Fax: 00 41 22 340 7643
Admin Email: erikhr@mac.com

That address is an apartment, and it's vacant and for rent.

Erik Holst-Roness is known. Here's a video of him on YouTube.. He is associated with SwiffPay. He is the "Chief Strategy Officer" of the SCCP Group. They do mobile payments, in competition with Square.

So this is apparently connected with the SCCP Group, which has many offices worldwide.. Contacting them might be helpful. Either they're behind this, one of their employees has gone rogue, or somebody is impersonating them. So get on the phone (they have a US office at  1 925 558 2719) and ask for their legal department.

If SCCP denies everything, contact the Geneva police. They could find the party involved. The rental agent, Moser Vernet et cie, will probably have copies of their identity documents. This is Switzerland. Financial fraud is dealt with strictly.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: