Bitcoin Forum
September 03, 2024, 03:29:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 49 Port Block Erupter USB Hub Problems  (Read 694 times)
pjviitas (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:21:01 AM

It looks like these 49 Port Block Erupter USB Hubs don't work right...or at least it does not work like a regular USB hub.

Two main problems:
1. When powering up the hub the switching power supply doesn't seem to sense the load and the hub doesn't power up.
2. When plugging the hub into the computer the USB sticks do not get detected until you unplug all of them and then plug them back in one by one.

So if there is a power outage this would be the procedure:
1. Unplug the USB cable from the computer
2. Fiddle with the power switch on the power supply until the hub powers up
3. Remove all the BE sticks from the hub
4. Reboot the computer
5. Plug the USB cable into the computer
6. Insert the BE sticks into the hub one by one

I am not sure what designer would spec a USB hub to work this way but it is definitely not nominal.

I have tried it on 2 computers with exactly the same results.

If anyone else is having these kinds of problems I would appreciate hearing about it.

Hedghog
pjviitas (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:20:09 PM

I can't believe no one has any stories to tell about how much these 49 Port Block Erupter USB Hubs suck.

Anyone?
jessesmining

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 10:16:39 PM

my 49 port usb hub will only run 3 block erupters, when i put in the fourth block erupter it causes errors, i have tried 2 different 49porthubs and i get the same, i dont know what is wrong can anybody give guidance, i am using corsair 750tx power supply
cunixion

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 01:46:01 AM

you need a AC Adapter 0.5 Amps times Number of sticks.
pjviitas (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 02:57:07 AM

my 49 port usb hub will only run 3 block erupters, when i put in the fourth block erupter it causes errors, i have tried 2 different 49porthubs and i get the same, i dont know what is wrong can anybody give guidance, i am using corsair 750tx power supply

Troubleshooting tips as follows:
1. Test your hardware in this order BE sticks first, usb hubs second, computer hardware third and driver & miner software last
2. When testing BE sticks its not enough to see if they are recognized by the computer, they actually need to be mining before they are proved good
3. When testing usb hubs plug it in empty first then start plugging BE sticks in one by one.  Again, its not enough that the sticks are recognized...they need to be mining to show that they are working right
4. There is a myriad of hardware configurations on computers when it comes to usb ports.  The number of levels of daisy chaining is just one example of how the usb hardware setup can be different between one computer and another.
5. Lastly there is the driver & miner software.  Of course keeping up with the latest versions is always a good idea but I have seen different behavior between versions.  The hot-swapping on the latest version of cgminer for example will pick up say 30 of my BE sticks and hot-swap in the last 20 over the course of up to 2-3 minutes and be completely stable after that.
jessesmining

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 04:52:16 AM

i have confirmed all be's are mining, all 49 ports are working, i can put 3 be one at at time in any of the 49 ports and they mine, as soon as i put in the fourth it wont work, i have tried on two seperate 49 port hub, i have tried on bfgminer and bitminter with same results, same pc is now running 22be on multiple smaller hubs, psu is brand new has 5v30a
pjviitas (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:28:39 PM

i have confirmed all be's are mining, all 49 ports are working, i can put 3 be one at at time in any of the 49 ports and they mine, as soon as i put in the fourth it wont work, i have tried on two seperate 49 port hub, i have tried on bfgminer and bitminter with same results, same pc is now running 22be on multiple smaller hubs, psu is brand new has 5v30a

If your not getting past step 2 then its your hub.  Two things to check:
1. These fuse
2. That you are plugging it in to its own USB port (not daisy chaining it)
jessesmining

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 05:07:47 PM

i dont think it is the hub, same outcome using two different 49hubs on different pcs, no daisy chain, was plugged in by itself, both my pcs i have tried will run multiple daisy chained 10 port hubs and all the bes i want to plug in, but the 49hubs will only run 3be, psu is new and working but i will get another and try, that is the only thing left to try
pjviitas (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 05:30:55 PM

i dont think it is the hub, same outcome using two different 49hubs on different pcs, no daisy chain, was plugged in by itself, both my pcs i have tried will run multiple daisy chained 10 port hubs and all the bes i want to plug in, but the 49hubs will only run 3be, psu is new and working but i will get another and try, that is the only thing left to try

So your not even getting to step 4 so it cant be your comp or your software...it has to be the hub or one of its components as follows:
1. The hub itself
2. The fuse in the hub
3. The USB cable
4. The PSU

Get 2 of each of these components and mix and match until you find the bad part.
jessesmining

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 10:58:03 PM

i took an old psu out of a dead pc and wala magic, everything fires up, my new expensive psu was the problem, thx for your help
pjviitas (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 01:13:59 AM

Ya this was a tough one...been there before myself...brand new parts that don't work right.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: