Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:09:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Sentiments?
You're an idiot, don't do this! - 154 (47.2%)
I don't like this, but I agree we need to move forward with it. - 27 (8.3%)
We should have waited longer, but I guess it needs to move forward now. - 26 (8%)
Great, it's about time! - 44 (13.5%)
You're a hero, let's get this deployed everywhere ASAP! - 49 (15%)
If it's from Luke, it can't be any good. - 26 (8%)
Total Voters: 326

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Miners: Time to deprioritise/filter address reuse!  (Read 51772 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:29:51 PM

A question for the OP: Are you proposing this just for addresses that are reused after a output, (where the privacy risk is highest), or also for addresses that have multiple inputs but only 0 outputs before the transaction in question?
The risks (which are not limited to mere privacy, I might note) are the same for both of these cases.

In any case, while I did only provide a single patch upfront, my proposal is to discuss and implement a variety of possible solutions, not any single solution, in the short-term.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:44:45 PM
Last edit: November 17, 2013, 01:00:45 AM by franky1

i just grabbed a random block
http://blockchain.info/block-index/440384/0000000000000000a1bf1c65136cbd618e356179fec857d583e7a9373ca8386d (269989)

and looked at the transactions in it..

within the first 20 transactions there were around 10 where the destination was at that time used address.

so is Luke JR telling us that the first transaction goes into this block(269989) the next transaction has to wait for the next block(269990)

and so on for the 10 addresses i looked at(269998) that there is causing atleast 1 hour 40 minute delay for that 10th transaction.

so lets say there were 10 used addressed transactions per block, what about other transactions time stamped at (269990). they have no spaces in block(269990) through to (269998)

each of those 10 transactions have to wait even further before filling up blocks  (269999-270008) . making the 10th transaction sent at the timestamp of 269990 finally enter a block over 3 hours 20 minutes later(270008)

now imagine the transactions timestamped at the times of blocks 269991-270008.. imagine how long they have to wait. (300 transactions of used addresses waiting......)

Luke JR i guess you never watched the butterfly effect, or what happens when you throw a pebble into the water..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:49:27 PM

i just grabbed a random block
http://blockchain.info/block-index/440384/0000000000000000a1bf1c65136cbd618e356179fec857d583e7a9373ca8386d (269989)

and looked at the transactions in it..

within the first 20 transactions there were around 10 where the destination was at that time used address.

so is Luke JR telling us that the first transaction goes into this block(269989) the next transaction has to wait for the next block(269990)

and so on for the 10 addresses i looked at(269999) that there is causing atleast 1 hour 40 minute delay for that 10th transaction. and what about other transactions sent 10 minutes after(269989). they have no spaces in block(269990) through to (269999)

so lets say there were 10 used addressed transactions per block

in block(269990). after waiting 1 hour 40 minutes, each of those 10 transactions have to wait a further 10 minutes filling up blocks  (270000-270009) . making the 10th transaction sent at the timestamp of 269990 finally enter a block over 3 hours 20 minutes later

now imagine the transactions timestamped at the times of blocks 269991-270009.. imagine how long they have to wait. (300 transactions of used addresses waiting......)

Luke JR i guess you never watched the butterfly effect, or what happens when you throw a pebble into the water..
The point is that people need to stop this bad behaviour and start using Bitcoin correctly.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:52:45 PM

I assume this cannot affect the prioritisation of the Coinbase transaction that constitutes p2pool miner's reward payments? Can you clarify this?

The coinbase tx itself?  No (it would be in the block you solve, nothing can change that).
Spending the outputs of the coinbase tx?  Yes.

I'm not sure that the bolded part is correct. It depends on Luke's patch implementation, as well as the protocol rules.

Do multiple inputs to the same address constitute address re-use in the same way that multiple outputs from a single address do? LukeJr does indicate that this initial version of his patched client isn't the most aggressive. If inputs are being relegated, would it be possible to make this more subtle, and exclude inputs from CoinBase tx's? I'm deferring to Luke again.

Vires in numeris
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:53:35 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2013, 10:39:37 PM by franky1

The point is that people need to stop this bad behaviour and start using Bitcoin correctly.

then teach them how to transact properly through a youtube tutorial. instead of putting in protocol bureaucracy that will cause transaction delays..

this to me is not about teaching people the right way, but to hit people with a delay stick as many times as it takes until they get it right.

have you atleast made a massive announcement that there will be expected transaction delays if people do not transact properly, on bitcointalks main thread, or the foundations website.

no? well start tutoring people before knocking their financial kneecaps with block change protocols

i must also highlight the voting (stats taken at time stamp of this post

You're an idiot, don't do this!   - 59 (36.6%)
I don't like this, but I agree we need to move forward with it.   - 14 (8.7%)
We should have waited longer, but I guess it needs to move forward now.   - 19 (11.8%)

Great, it's about time!   - 23 (14.3%)
You're a hero, let's get this deployed everywhere ASAP!   - 35 (21.7%)

If it's from Luke, it can't be any good.   - 11 (6.8%)

which simplified down is
103 say no to implementation 64%
58 say yes implement the change to miner protocol 36%

so why luke have you decided to go against consensus and implement it with elegius?

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 10:33:04 PM

Meanwhile, outside the bubble of authoritarian-minded mining pool operators:

(via http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qrp1h/subway_accepting_bitcoins_in_slovakia_bratislava/ )

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:58:15 PM

What about donation addresses?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:59:59 PM

An address is an address.  The protocol/network cares not the purpose.  It is possible to use a dynamic address for donations.
mdopro1

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Double your Personal Bitcoin Funds.

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 11:00:56 PM

A question for the OP: Are you proposing this just for addresses that are reused after a output, (where the privacy risk is highest), or also for addresses that have multiple inputs but only 0 outputs before the transaction in question?
The risks (which are not limited to mere privacy, I might note) are the same for both of these cases.

In any case, while I did only provide a single patch upfront, my proposal is to discuss and implement a variety of possible solutions, not any single solution, in the short-term.
What?

What's the risk?

New Bitcoin fund doubling platform has launched!
Receive Automated Payment Every 2 Hours
Appealing alternative with Sophisticated algorithms.
https://Btc-Funds.com
btcdrak
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:03:27 PM

What?

What's the risk?

It leaks cryptographic information - that's how that recent 55BTC hack occurred (in combination with the PRNG issues in Java SecureRandom lib).
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:07:52 PM

What?

What's the risk?

It leaks cryptographic information - that's how that recent 55BTC hack occurred (in combination with the PRNG issues in Java SecureRandom lib).

Also in the event that ECDSA is degraded the pubkey being unknown (payments are to pubkeyhash) provides an added layer of security.   Commonly people assumes algorithms are either "safe" or "broken" where broken means someone can instantly find a private key from the public key.  The reality is often algorithms are merely degraded.  As an an example a flaw could be found in ECDSA such that it takes on average 2^60 operations to perform a preimage attack (normally 2^128 by brute force.  Now 2^60 is a relatively large number but a dedicated attacker with sufficient resources could attack (over the course of months) a known PubKey.  If the PubKey is unknown no attack is possible. 
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:08:34 PM

Address Chains, forthcoming in the new version of Bitcoin Qt.

Vires in numeris
btcdrak
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:09:28 PM

Address Chains, forthcoming in the new version of Bitcoin Qt.

Is it actually being implemented or one of those things that has been sidelined?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:13:05 PM

then teach them how to transact properly through a youtube tutorial. instead of putting in protocol bureaucracy that will cause transaction delays..

this to me is not about teaching people the right way, but to hit people with a delay stick as many times as it takes until they get it right.

have you atleast made a massive announcement that there will be expected transaction delays if people do not transact properly, on bitcointalks main thread, or the foundations website.

no? well start tutoring people before knocking their financial kneecaps with block change protocols

i must also highlight the voting (stats taken at time stamp of this post

We should have waited longer, but I guess it needs to move forward now.   - 19 (11.8%)

which simplified down is
103 say no to implementation 64%
58 say yes implement the change to miner protocol 36%

so why luke have you decided to go against consensus and implement it with elegius?

I read the poll more along these lines. Opposed: 43.2% In favour with varying degrees of support: 56.5% Rounding 0.3%. There is a fair degree of support for this. We must also keep in mind the following

Why does my Bitcoin address keep changing?

Whenever the address listed in "Your address" receives a transaction, Bitcoin replaces it with a new address. This is meant to encourage you to use a new address for every transaction, which enhances anonymity. All of your old addresses are still usable: you can see them in Settings -> Your Receiving Addresses.
from https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ#Why_does_my_Bitcoin_address_keep_changing.3F The original design of Bitcoin was that address reuse is to be the exception rather than the norm and what is been done here follows this intent. I get the distinct impression here that Coin Validation has fired a shot across the bow of Bitcoin and someone has just shot back.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:18:33 PM

What?

What's the risk?

Also in the event that ECDSA is degraded the pubkey being unknown (payments are to pubkeyhash) provides an added layer of security.   Commonly people assumes algorithms are either "safe" or "broken" where broken means someone can instantly find a private key from the public key.  The reality is often algorithms are merely degraded.  As an an example a flaw could be found in ECDSA such that it takes on average 2^60 operations to perform a preimage attack (normally 2^128 by brute force.  Now 2^60 is a relatively large number but a dedicated attacker with sufficient resources could attack (over the course of months) a known PubKey.  If the PubKey is unknown no attack is possible. 

Yes. This is a crucial difference between reuse for inputs only (for example a donation address) and reuse after an output.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:55:34 PM

I have used bitcoin the following ways with address re-use.  I thought it was a strength of bitcoin.

I.  Auction bidding.

I sold shares in my Avalon to different people.  They were careful to pay my auction address from an address that they controlled.  This auction address received many payments, often times payments from the same source.

This let me and all the people interested in bidding be confident that we were not victims of joy-bidding.  I think this was a good way to run an auction, it was transparent.

I refunded non-winning bids to their payment address.  Again, everyone was able to see that I refunded those bids.  I think this was a good use of bitcoin.

II.  Payouts of mining pool

I receive my mining proceeds into an address that is only used to receive and disburse these proceeds.  Each Tuesday I take the proceeds of this week's mining earnings and issue a bitcoin sendmany to the successful addresses.

At this time, I do not know the identity of many of my shareholders.  I only have their address.

I don't see the increased danger in making many disbursement payments to the same set of addresses instead of 1.  I also don't see how to communicate with my shareholders to ask them for new payment addresses, as I don't know their identity.

I try to be respectful and informed.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:10:27 AM

I.  Auction bidding.

This can be accomplished with a BIP32 address chain

II.  Payouts of mining pool
I also don't see how to communicate with my shareholders to ask them for new payment addresses, as I don't know their identity.

Worst case scenario if you stop sending regular payments I am sure they will contact you. Smiley
In the future you could have them generate a BIP32 public key, put that PubKey in a message and sign the message with the existing address as a cryptographically secure way to transition.
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:13:11 AM

I.  Auction bidding.

Is this supported with blockchain.info or bitcoin-qt at this time?

I try to be respectful and informed.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:14:14 AM

I.  Auction bidding.

Is this supported with blockchain.info or bitcoin-qt at this time?

No however I would strongly encourage you to advocate for them to update.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:31:03 AM

the other thing to note is:

Gavin A proposes adding API callbacks into the bitcoin URI so that retailers do not have to use unique addresses per customer, but using one address and be able to track which TXID belongs to which customer by use of the API callback.

so we have Gavin A trying to reduce the need for unique addresses. and we have Luke Jr trying to increase the need for unique addresses.

can we find a room for the main dev's to go in and slug it out for a few matches as to something that can be agreed on that is best for the community..

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: