Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:20:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Sentiments?
You're an idiot, don't do this! - 154 (47.2%)
I don't like this, but I agree we need to move forward with it. - 27 (8.3%)
We should have waited longer, but I guess it needs to move forward now. - 26 (8%)
Great, it's about time! - 44 (13.5%)
You're a hero, let's get this deployed everywhere ASAP! - 49 (15%)
If it's from Luke, it can't be any good. - 26 (8%)
Total Voters: 326

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Miners: Time to deprioritise/filter address reuse!  (Read 51779 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:03:33 AM

Do the wallets support this (when will they)?

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 10:09:47 AM

IMHO coins are simply coins.
On a related note, that's what I tried to express here: http://bitcoinism.blogspot.com/2013/11/eli5-bitcoin.html

Of course coins are coins, but when the men in black show up at your door and start asking you about tx between you and other addresses as they try to id people, then you shall realize why not all coins are equal :p

That is why the real solution to fungibility is making all coins dirty.  They do not have time to question millions of people.

That is how assymetric warfare works boys :p
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:12:02 AM

IMHO coins are simply coins.
On a related note, that's what I tried to express here: http://bitcoinism.blogspot.com/2013/11/eli5-bitcoin.html

Of course coins are coins, but when the men in black show up at your door and start asking you about tx between you and other addresses as they try to id people, then you shall realize why not all coins are equal :p

That is why the real solution to fungibility is making all coins dirty.  They do not have time to question millions of people.

That is how assymetric warfare works boys :p
Use mix service for that purpose. Rely on everyone changing address every time is always risky and will only give you false sense of safety.
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:40:27 PM

If it's this important shouldn't Eligius start forcing new addresses for every withdrawal?
Yes, migrating to HD/recurring invoice ids has been on the todo list for Eligius for a long time.
Unfortunately, wallet software has not matured enough for that yet.

So you don't support using new addresses, but think everyone else who doesn't support it should be punished?
Isn't that a bit hypocritical?
I think this move should have waited a few more months at least, but we're out of time it seems.
In other words, I would vote "We should have waited longer, but I guess it needs to move forward now."

If you want to lead from the front, wouldn't a better approach be to develop the website frontend for supporting multiple addresses, and offer that up to other sites to reuse, at the same time as putting in the 'de-prioritisation'? At the moment you've introduced a problem, but not the solution.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 04:44:50 PM

If you want to lead from the front, wouldn't a better approach be to develop the website frontend for supporting multiple addresses, and offer that up to other sites to reuse, at the same time as putting in the 'de-prioritisation'? At the moment you've introduced a problem, but not the solution.
From what I can tell the code needed to do this is available.  See here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334316.msg3598018#msg3598018

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:16:27 PM

Do the wallets support this (when will they)?

If you mean this mining patch, they support this already, even though the client running the patch is different to the standard wallets available today (so this is not even a soft fork, to put it another way)

If you're talking about the key-chains/BIP32, I think the plan is to include that feature in the forthcoming 0.9 Qt/bitcoind client.

This patch only seems to affect donations and webmerchants that re-use addresses right now, and the former could route around it right now by adding a bit of Bitcoin RPC code into their webshop coding. I don't think the days of using this method are over, and it's actually a better method for privacy. Anyone with a copy of a BIP32 keychain can see how much money has been paid to that keychain (but you can create as many keychains as you like, just like with regular public keys now). So if you've got a an always-on server on the web, and are using a webpage (i.e. that you run or have permission to insert the appropriate code into) to request bitcoin for whatever reason, you can use the tried and trusted (and private on a per-payee basis) way to take payments or donations.

Vires in numeris
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:32:47 AM

i have a number of addresses but i have it organised so that each address is a ledger for a particular project

i do not want to have to set up a new address with a regular customer everytime they pay me.
EG. BTC-E or BITSTAMP customers do not want to forced into keep looking for a new deposit address everytime they want to deposit into their account. they prefer the option to refresh address or continue using original address linked to their username.

i do not then want to have balances split over hundreds of addresses which would add KBytes of data to the next tx i send, meaning higher fee's for pool owners to take .. hmmm i might have hit a spot here where a pool owner would love this as a selfish reason to make them more money at the expense of user convenience.

i do not want delays when topping up my cold store address (paper wallet)

i do not want to wait 10 hours because in the last 30 seconds only 60 people out of millions are also re-using addresses
i do not want to wait 3 hours because in the last 30 seconds only 18 people out of millions are also re-using addresses

i want to wait just 10 minutes because millions of people are able to do with their own funds the way they want.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:38:01 AM

i do not then want to have to have balances split over hundreds of addresses which would add KBytes of data to the transaction, meaning higher fee's for pool owners to take .. hmmm i might have hit a spot here where a pool owner would love this as a selfish reason to make them more money at the expense of user convenience.

Please learn how Bitcoin works.  The number of addresses used as inputs in a tx is irrelevant to the tx size.   Each INPUT (same address or different) uses ~150 bytes.  10 inputs from the same address = ~1.5KB.  10 inputs from 10 addresses = ~1.5KB.

i do not want ...

Ok you don't want it.  Then mine blocks and don't apply the patch.  Problem solved.   You didn't ever think you were able to force miners to include your tx in a block did you?  The patch doesn't give miners some brand new novel power/authority.

i want to wait just 10 minutes because millions of people are able to do with their own funds the way they want.

And miners are free to prioritize transactions how they see fit.  Isn't freedom great.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:48:40 PM

Please learn how Bitcoin works.  The number of addresses used as inputs in a tx is irrelevant to the tx size.   Each INPUT (same address or different) uses ~150 bytes.  10 inputs from the same address = ~1.5KB.  10 inputs from 10 addresses = ~1.5KB.

here he goes meandering the subject offtopic.
learn "sweeping"

instead of me just receiving 100 TX's where customers pay no fee individually. i have to make a transaction that groups all of those together to bring them into an address i want. EG a project address, or a cold store paper wallet public key.

and im not going to send each transaction individually to avoid fee's especially knowing the second TX will have to wait for the next block and the 3rd will wait for the block after that. and so on for 100 blocks thanks to luke JR protocol causing a 16 hour delay atleast.

and if you look on the main bitcointalk thread you will see many people complain about lengthy delays just to get their coin accepted into a block.

this is much like banks.. ruining a good financial system for personal gain. the financial system protocol should not be used to cause miners to gain more profit or be in favour of them. it should be a unbiased system.

a comparitive would be banks only wanting to deal with people with 20 credit cards and willing to accept high interest on those cards.

security of the network and making peoples financial freedoms easier to manage should be top priority. not mining pool owners 'cut' of the pie bigger by forcing people to transact differently or pay the consequence

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:53:47 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2013, 05:25:20 PM by DeathAndTaxes

There is no "personal gain".  A tx with 10 inputs from the same address is no larger or smaller than a tx with 10 inputs from 10 unique addresses.  So please (I honestly mean it) spend some time learning about how Bitcoin works before you start throwing around FUD.

Miners have ALWAYS had the power to prioritize tx as they see fit.  Always, back to the genesis block.  If you are realizing this for the first time well that is kinda sad.  If Luke never published the patch his pool would still be able to internally prioritize tx as they see fit.  Why are you so afraid of freedom?
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 05:22:24 PM

i have to make a transaction that groups all of those together to bring them into an address i want. EG a project address, or a cold store paper wallet public key.

You can do this in one transaction, one block, one fee.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
murraypaul

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:31:16 PM

Why are you so afraid of freedom?

Why are you (those proposing this) so afraid of my freedom to reuse an address?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:33:11 PM

They aren't. You are free to continue to reuse addresses.   Freedom of choice means a CHOICE.   It doesn't mean other people have to support your choice if they disagree with it.   Nobody is forcing you to change how you operate.  Miners have always had the right to prioritize tx.  After every block SOME tx are not included.  The patch simply changes which tx have priority, nothing more.
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:33:13 PM

People wanting anonymity can reuse addresses. No need to force anything down people's throats.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
murraypaul

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:35:44 PM

They aren't. You are free to continue to reuse addresses.   Freedom of choice means a CHOICE.   It doesn't mean other people have to support your choice if they disagree with it.   Nobody is forcing you to change how you operate.  Miners have always had the right to prioritize tx.  After every block SOME tx are not included.  The patch simply changes which tx have priority, nothing more.

The clear purpose of this is to dissuade people from reusing addresses, you wouldn't disagree with that?
While I still have the option, you are making it a poorer option than it was before, for political reasons.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:40:25 PM

The clear purpose of this is to dissuade people from reusing addresses, you wouldn't disagree with that?
While I still have the option, you are making it a poorer option than it was before, for political reasons.

That is called freedom.  Freedom doesn't mean people always doing what you WANT them to do, thats easy. In fact it often means people doing something you disagree with, freedom of speech means someone having the freedom to say things you might find hurtful or offensive.

Yes freedom can be scary.  Freedom can mean you are inconvenienced.  Freedom can make you question if your choice is worth it.

So once again why are you so afraid of freedom?

Also "I" am not doing anything. At the time of the writing I am not mining (although may in the future) and I didn't right the patch.  I just happen to agree with it.
mootinator

Activity: 274

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:44:58 PM

It stinks of social engineering. If not reusing addresses is the only way bitcoin will survive there will be no need to pressure people into doing that.

No
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:46:04 PM

It stinks of social engineering. If not reusing addresses is the only way bitcoin will survive there will be no need to pressure people into doing that.

That is short sighted thinking:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_externalizing
mootinator

Activity: 274

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:51:08 PM

That is short sighted thinking:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_externalizing

Umm. Who is externalizing what cost by leaving things alone.

Simply forcing suppliers and service providers to take on more responsibilities and cost is not a healthy externalization of cost.

So forcing busy charities/businesses to have sophisticated systems to accept payment as opposed to a QR code printed on paper is healthy how? I really don't follow your line of thinking.

No
murraypaul

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:54:26 PM

That is called freedom.  Freedom doesn't mean people always doing what you WANT them to do, thats easy.
In fact it often means people doing something you disagree with, freedom of speech means someone having the freedom to say things you might find hurtful or offensive.

Yes freedom can be scary.  Freedom can mean you are inconvenienced.  Freedom can make you question if your choice is worth it.

So once again why are you so afraid of freedom?

And I could turn every single one of those questions back at those favouring this patch.
The difference is that you are actively trying to stop me doing the things that you don't want me to do, that might inconvenience you. I'm not trying to stop you reusing addresses whenever you want. So which of us is trying to restrict freedom again?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: