Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:42:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Paper Wallet  (Read 612 times)
warning_btc

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

Decentralized Digital Billboards

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 08:02:44 AM

I just wondering why some people don't use paper wallet to secure their bitcoin, Some of them are just putting to the exchanger and trust their funds that no assurance of safety.I don't understand why they did not use the most secure way to keep their bitcoins.

Any Thoughts?
peoples want increase their bitcoins by trading or investing in altcoins

TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sudarmoon

Activity: 90
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 09:51:38 AM

I also put bitcoin on the exchange and did not put in the paper wallet because I think put the wallet in exchange we can do bitcoin trade with the near term difference with paper wallet.
Drimoge

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 10:21:43 AM

It is true that many people who use the wallet exchange and rarely use paper wallets, maybe I think the wallet exchange has the ease of doing the transaction.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 10:26:24 AM

something that nobody else mentioned is that none of these exchanges, webs wallets, web "vaults",... that some people use to store their bitcoins instead of using a cold storage, they are not saying "we are unsafe"!!! that would be killing their business. instead they all say we are secure, using top secret facilities with high tech security, and stuff like that and it gives newbies some kind of assurance. or maybe we should call it a false sense of security.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
redhondaxrm125

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 03:09:55 PM

I just wondering why some people don't use paper wallet to secure their bitcoin, Some of them are just putting to the exchanger and trust their funds that no assurance of safety.I don't understand why they did not use the most secure way to keep their bitcoins.

Any Thoughts?

I really do not think that a lot of people are doing as what you are saying. Specially the big holders or the ones that are working hard for their possessions. I just can't get myself to see such a scenario. Maybe for some, because they only have small amounts and want to day trade with those bitcoins. But other than that? I really cannot see any reason good enough to make someone do this. The most common thing I see is people doing both for varied purposes. But if there really are people that are doing this with huge funds, and just leave their funds sit on an exchange, they are either rich as fck or on a whole new level of stupidity.
miraxgr

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 04:53:19 PM

I think that many bitcoin holders are not engaged in the correct and reliable storage of bitcoins, because they have never been victims of fraud. Such is the nature of man, to do something after it's already happened. I mean, they're gonna start looking into security when their money disappears from their wallet in one day. Honestly, I don't understand the logic of such people, why take the risk?
Sliro

Activity: 39

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 05:16:32 PM

I save bitcoin or digital coin payment in im Token, because bitcoin is an isovation that uses gidital payment, therefore i store the data "bitcoin and whatever it is i save in im Token.
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 05:24:46 PM

I use the paper wallet as a cold storage to store my Bitcoins but I find it inconvenient to use for recurring transactions so I don't use the paper wallet for more than a single outgoing transaction. I know paper wallet is a secure way to hold Bitcoins but I feel uncomfortable and insecure about using the single paper wallet for multiple outgoing transactions. I use hardware wallet which is flexible and secure in my opinion.
Corsicoin

Activity: 448
Merit: 107

CryptoSport

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 05:45:31 PM

I never used paper wallet.
Paper is too much Toilet significant.
I don't want to associate money with it.
Bite me!

Fancyax

Activity: 196

Personal Text: Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 06:57:29 PM

I don't like them. Wallet papers are easy to be destroyed or damaged. I prefer to save my private keys in different ways to minimize the risk of loosing them.

marmeladko

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 07:16:30 PM

People don’t want to find right way how to store money. Most investors don’t understand Bitcoin and blockchain advantages. They just see how much money they can earn. So they use exchange platform for storing digital assets.

People are lazy and you can do nothing with this.

lillyann

Activity: 308
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 07:24:55 PM

The paper wallet does not have a backup, so losing or destroying it means losing money. As with any type of wallet, do not share keys, i.e. print in this case, to third parties. If we want to ask someone to send us funds, let's do it in the block transactions, described in the above chapter. The chart must be kept in a safe place, not in sight! The last thing is that the paper should be protected from moisture or other means that can destroy the print, whether by laminating or storing it in a dry box. Remember that the sun causes ink fading, and painting can blur the printout to such an extent that it will not be possible to use the wallet.
tensports

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 07:32:50 PM

for long term investment in btc paper wallet is a secure way to store bitcoins but people who like trading daily or short term basis store their btc in exchanges which is not secure way exchanges could be hack
jak3
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 08:29:20 PM

Paper wallets where the very secure way of storing money back in previous days, of course, they are a very old concept but they are not forgotten. I have my paper wallet since 2013 and I am sending some funds every month from my earnings to that wallet even though it was not a segwit address but still, I want to see how much money I can make by this in 10 years.
dado7

Activity: 322
Merit: 141

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 08:36:35 PM

Any Thoughts?
Paper wallets are safe but they are messy: you can lose your paper wallet or you may make a lot of copies but then you might unintentionally reveal one of the copies to somebody.

However, what data do you have to back up your claim that it is not used? I am sure some people use paper wallets.

I don't get this with losing paper wallets. Do you lose your credit cards often?
Paper wallets are easy to use, relatively safe and are, for most people, a perfect choice. I also believe that the majority of people uses them. Maybe you could make a poll if you are interested to know the answer?  Smiley

By the way, use SegWit - safer, faster, and soon to be well adopted.

Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 01:30:09 PM

Any Thoughts?
Paper wallets are safe but they are messy: you can lose your paper wallet or you may make a lot of copies but then you might unintentionally reveal one of the copies to somebody.

However, what data do you have to back up your claim that it is not used? I am sure some people use paper wallets.

I don't get this with losing paper wallets. Do you lose your credit cards often?
Paper wallets are easy to use, relatively safe and are, for most people, a perfect choice. I also believe that the majority of people uses them. Maybe you could make a poll if you are interested to know the answer?  Smiley

By the way, use SegWit - safer, faster, and soon to be well adopted.
what I had in mind is that the paper wallet (not being in a form of a plastic card, but rather just a sheet of paper), can be easily confused with some disposable paper sheets and thrown away. Maybe if you have a safe in your house then you can keep it very very safe, but otherwise your wife or kids may throw it away while doing housecleanings. Or your dog may eat it (have you watched "Paterson" movie?).

If you change the form from paper to some other more durable material (plastic or metal - cryptosteel is a great example) it is much more difficult to lose it like that, I agree.

By the way - I use SegWit Smiley
dado7

Activity: 322
Merit: 141

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 08:16:56 AM

If you change the form from paper to some other more durable material (plastic or metal - cryptosteel is a great example) it is much more difficult to lose it like that, I agree.

There you have it - a very simple solution to a very difficult problem Smiley

Good for SegWit Smiley

chillitabit

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 08:24:01 AM

Any Thoughts?

there are risks related to paper wallets as well. And mostly, it's less convenient for people who think they won't get affected by hacks or exchanges shut downs. Most cautious people are the ones that got hurt already Smiley
rommelzkie

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 08:30:34 AM

Any Thoughts?

Maybe because they are no that technical people and dont want to understand how public address and private key works. Most of these people are new to bitcoin the newbie on crypto world.  This is because it is easy for them to create an account to an exchange example coinbase. then leave it there.

However, as more and more experience they gain and if they continuously read articles about securing bitcoin. The time will come when they will by a hardware wallet or create a paper wallet for their long term HODL crypto.

Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 08:34:51 AM

There you have it - a very simple solution to a very difficult problem Smiley

Good for SegWit Smiley
Actually I etched a thick copper plate with the info I need (it is not a paper wallet, but rather a hardware wallet seed words, but the principle is the same and if it were on paper only, it would be equally easy to lose). And I learnt quite a lot in the process so I encourage everybody to do it himself.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: