Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:31:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoin as an open-source game currency  (Read 1683 times)
Electrongolf

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

What's Your Gig?

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 11:57:27 PM

I think BTC as in game currency is a great idea. It would be crazy fun, and serve as stabilization tool for the BTC economy.

Imagine if there was a Second Life, Civilaztion type game where you can earn BTC based on skill. This would accomplish three things:
1) Remove the barrier for entry for using BTC- Regular people will begin using it without thinking about the technical and political baggage.
2) Stabalize the economy- There will always be a place where BTC has a use, and a basis from which to determine value.
3) Encourage exchange instead of investing - People will see value in spending BTC, as opposed to hoarding it. Spending in game (investing) earns coins faster than waiting for the price to go up

Spending BTC outside of the game, on products like yours, could be an added bonus to using the currency.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fiatpirate

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:01:04 AM

I think BTC as in game currency is a great idea. It would be crazy fun, and serve as stabilization tool for the BTC economy.

Imagine if there was a Second Life, Civilaztion type game where you can earn BTC based on skill. This would accomplish three things:
1) Remove the barrier for entry for using BTC- Regular people will begin using it without thinking about the technical and political baggage.
2) Stabalize the economy- There will always be a place where BTC has a use, and a basis from which to determine value.
3) Encourage exchange instead of investing - People will see value in spending BTC, as opposed to hoarding it. Spending in game (investing) earns coins faster than waiting for the price to go up

Spending BTC outside of the game, on products like yours, could be an added bonus to using the currency.

Electrongolf, you are right on. To add to your three key advantages, the sharing of BTC for p2p sales of game artifacts would hopefully make the "IRS Regulations" issue less murky. Of course, any game that has BTC transfers for their product is going to take a cut, so that might be an issue of it's own.

I think we could also take the concept of BitCoins to cheaper arcade style online games as well. If someone were to create a series of low CPU usage arcade games and provide winnings in BTC to high scorers each day, it may serve the purpose to advance the BTC money into mainstream. The arcade games could run BTC miners as part of the website in order to generate BTC. When the day ended, the site keeps a percentage and gives the day's high scorers a piece of the pie as well.

P.S. I'd do it myself, but I am swamped with other programming work.
Nuavis

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 03:38:44 AM

Don't bitcoin transactions take a while to verify?

Also people stop playing games all the time so tons of money would just get lost in the system, maybe if when you logged off all the money got sent to a central wallet, then it could be redeemed when you logged back on? The game's revenue could come from banned account's cash or user's who haven't logged on in a year etc.
leeloulee

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 05:13:00 AM

I wish runescape would accept bitcoins

SGT longdong
Nuavis

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 05:40:20 AM
Last edit: August 19, 2011, 12:48:10 PM by Nuavis

If anybody really wants to do this I'd be willing to help, although I'm only a mediocre programmer
Anonymailer (OP)
aka BitBacco

Activity: 662
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 11:57:51 AM

I wish runescape would accept bitcoins
We should start a letter writing game to all our favourite game devs!

MacMiner - The first, best and easiest to use native Mac coin mining app: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=197110.0

BTC: 12vZf8mjaXvHorXWVWfv7nZspHa8L8kfoG LTC: LLRqwo3YcLqoRyfZRVmUevtd2Y35Vvnt4w
fiatpirate

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 12:03:51 AM

Don't bitcoin transactions take a while to verify?

I think the transaction time that you are talking about is the time it would take to convert dollars or euros into BTC. The actual transaction time is fairly marginal.

Also people stop playing games all the time so tons of money would just get lost in the system, maybe if when you logged off all the money got sent to a central wallet, then it could be redeemed when you logged back on? The game's revenue could come from banned account's cash or user's who haven't logged on in a year etc.

Good point on the people who simply would not ever use the coins. Probably would want to bank them at the game's website, then allow people a cashout process if they choose.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: