Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:20:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-15 - Make a Fortune with ASRock's Latest Mining Machines: H81 Pro BTC &  (Read 5246 times)
andydabeast (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 02:32:43 PM

http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?cat=News&ID=1765

interesting that someone is doing this. I wonder if they know that scrypt is the only way to mine with gpu's for return

make your BTC grow!
https://btc-arbs.com/referral/andydabeast
sharing is caring! LTC- Ld9dvgz5UfSpNXKNXHe766huw2dxi9iTWL

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SlyFoxy12

Activity: 111

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 02:42:35 PM

Not true, BFL are making ASIC miners in a graphics card form factor so it would be useful for that
andydabeast (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 02:46:42 PM

Not true, BFL are making ASIC miners in a graphics card form factor so it would be useful for that

The monarch? Yea I haven't been following that, sorry I forgot. Anyone think this "special" mobo will actually be widely adopted?

make your BTC grow!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:16:16 PM

Am i the only one who find this very very very impressive and interesting? It is the first time some important hardware company produce something specifically for bitcoin!

symaxian

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:34:08 PM

Yeah it took me a second to realize that but it is indeed a strong message.

"Wait... this is the actual ASRock hardware company, making a motherboard specifically for Bitcoin mining? That's pretty groundbreaking."
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 04:14:54 PM

Am i the only one who find this very very very impressive and interesting? It is the first time some important hardware company produce something specifically for bitcoin!

you are 100% right, thought the same.

the first big name in the mining-industrie! thats a big step. they are professionals and in business since a long time. maybe we see Asus, Gigabyte and co in some months/years Smiley !

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:55:56 PM

Asrock is a little late, I wish these boards were available way back in 2011 when GPU mining was the craze.
AMD had recognized 7970 for mining needs in 2012.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
seldon

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:01:53 PM

Nice! Slam in 6 Monarchs and go Smiley

(not gonna roi though..)
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:22:54 PM

BitcoinBlogger has written a nice technical analysis of why the product is a dead-end marketing gimmick not just for Monarchs but also GPU altcoins.

The danger to GPU miners comes from use of graphics cards that only require 2 x 6 pin PCI-e connectors from the power supply.  The 2 x 6 pin PCI-e connectors only provide a maximum of 200W from the PSU, leaving the rest to be provided by the motherboard.  Cards such as certain models of the HD 7950, only require 2 x 6 pin PCI-e connectors but could potentially pull up to 225W total, leaving 25W to be provided by the motherboard.  If the card is connected to a PCI-e 16x lane with 75W available throughput, then there is no problem; however, if the card is connected by an unpowered PCI-e x1 riser to a PCI-e 1x lane [max throughput of 10W] melting occurs.  ASRock has done a good job making sure that the damage won’t be at the 20+4 pin ATX connector, but the physical risers that must be used, and the soldered PCI-e 1x lanes would all be susceptible to damage.

ASRock has provided the changes to the motherboard hardware necessary to provide as much power to the motherboard as is needed to power 6 GPUs; however, the use of PCI-e 1x lanes again necessitates the use of powered PCI-e risers, which negates the ASRock H81 Pro BTC’s only advantage.  Given the fact that the H81 Pro BTC only has 1 PCI-e 16x lane and 5 PCI-e x1 lanes, users will still run into significant power issues the majority of the time if they try to take advantage of all the motherboard tries to offer for GPU mining.

The Butterfly Monarch (BFL) PCI-e card, scheduled for 2014 delivery, would also be a poor match for this motherboard.  Even assuming that BFL makes their target power consumption of 350W it would be impossible to get 6 Monarchs on one motherboard without having two prohibitively expensive power supplies as well as the necessity for powered risers.  There are dozens of better motherboards [better in this instance means PCI-e 16x lanes instead of PCI-e 1x lanes] for mining.

http://bitcoinblogger.com/asrock-releases-bitcoin-mining-motherboard-1-year-late/
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 12:47:15 AM

Yes this is significant!
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 12:53:25 AM

BitcoinBlogger has written a nice technical analysis of why the product is a dead-end marketing gimmick not just for Monarchs but also GPU altcoins.

The danger to GPU miners comes from use of graphics cards that only require 2 x 6 pin PCI-e connectors from the power supply.  The 2 x 6 pin PCI-e connectors only provide a maximum of 200W from the PSU, leaving the rest to be provided by the motherboard.  Cards such as certain models of the HD 7950, only require 2 x 6 pin PCI-e connectors but could potentially pull up to 225W total, leaving 25W to be provided by the motherboard.  If the card is connected to a PCI-e 16x lane with 75W available throughput, then there is no problem; however, if the card is connected by an unpowered PCI-e x1 riser to a PCI-e 1x lane [max throughput of 10W] melting occurs.  ASRock has done a good job making sure that the damage won’t be at the 20+4 pin ATX connector, but the physical risers that must be used, and the soldered PCI-e 1x lanes would all be susceptible to damage.

ASRock has provided the changes to the motherboard hardware necessary to provide as much power to the motherboard as is needed to power 6 GPUs; however, the use of PCI-e 1x lanes again necessitates the use of powered PCI-e risers, which negates the ASRock H81 Pro BTC’s only advantage.  Given the fact that the H81 Pro BTC only has 1 PCI-e 16x lane and 5 PCI-e x1 lanes, users will still run into significant power issues the majority of the time if they try to take advantage of all the motherboard tries to offer for GPU mining.

The Butterfly Monarch (BFL) PCI-e card, scheduled for 2014 delivery, would also be a poor match for this motherboard.  Even assuming that BFL makes their target power consumption of 350W it would be impossible to get 6 Monarchs on one motherboard without having two prohibitively expensive power supplies as well as the necessity for powered risers.  There are dozens of better motherboards [better in this instance means PCI-e 16x lanes instead of PCI-e 1x lanes] for mining.

http://bitcoinblogger.com/asrock-releases-bitcoin-mining-motherboard-1-year-late/

This bitcoinblogger post is COMPLETELY wrong that "the use of PCI-e 1x lanes again necessitates the use of powered PCI-e risers". There is absolutely zero improvements to power supply that a PCIe x16 connector would bring to a PCIe x1 connector. Both have 5 lines providing +12V (B1-B3, A2-A3). Both PCIe x16 and x1 have the same current capacity. Both can melt if too much amps are drawn. I say this as the person who first documented to this community the ability to down-plug x16 cards into x1 slots.
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:03:36 AM

Who cares about the actual motherboard. Gpu mining is obsolete anyway (for bitcoins at least). The big news here is that i see the bitcoin logo in Asrock's website.

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:47:29 AM

This was exactly my first thought when I saw this. Who cares if its a bit late to the game. The fact that a major hardware company(I think they rank #3 for most mobo sales now) ... dedicated any sort of product line r&d, marketing & manufacturering to mining specific target audience is freaking HUGE!

This will facilitate any ASIC based PCIe miners and also scrypt mining. So, the use is still there.

This is just one step closer to a company like intel making an entire product line ... dedicated to doing just bitcoin mining.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
VJLoops

Activity: 64

LTS Scrypt Asic Preorder :P

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:13:39 PM

I haven't been able to find a distributor.  Does anyone have any links they care to share?  Thanks in advance!
LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:18:09 AM

I haven't been able to find a distributor.  Does anyone have any links they care to share?  Thanks in advance!

+1! I've been looking for a place to get a few of these myself to no avail.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 10:23:17 AM

maybe they have problems to produce alot (dont think that actually) or their first production series is sold out already. just wait some weeks...

some weeks ago i saw some on ebay and amazon.

onscreen

Activity: 18

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:30:03 PM

This bitcoinblogger post is COMPLETELY wrong that "the use of PCI-e 1x lanes again necessitates the use of powered PCI-e risers". There is absolutely zero improvements to power supply that a PCIe x16 connector would bring to a PCIe x1 connector. Both have 5 lines providing +12V (B1-B3, A2-A3). Both PCIe x16 and x1 have the same current capacity. Both can melt if too much amps are drawn. I say this as the person who first documented to this community the ability to down-plug x16 cards into x1 slots.

Are you saying powered risers are not needed for 1x > 16x?
andydabeast (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:37:55 PM

Are you saying powered risers are not needed for 1x > 16x?

I just said the heck with it and skipped over researching if my cards and mobo required powered or not and got powered ones lol. will there ever be any harm done if the extra power is not required? P.S. I mine LTC with 6950's

make your BTC grow!
Pizayolo

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:04:17 AM

Available....in paiement BTC  Cheesy

http://www.la-boutique-du-mineur.com/?product=2309

Kiss
culexevilman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin is too valuable to be used as a currency

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 03:31:44 PM

I am selling these new,see my thread。https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=390100.msg4239927#msg4239927
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: