Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:04:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your long-term view of bitcoin?  (Read 610 times)
Kako88 (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:52:47 PM

I am talking about 100+ years after all the coins have been mined.  Assuming it is still around and has value.

-Will currency speculation be extinct? (eg http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/08/george-soros-bank-of-england.asp)

-How will Bitcoin affect income inequality? 
   +Due to human nature, will it change at all?
   +Will it cause central banks to increase/decrease the money supply?

-Will it every be the Worlds Currency? (eg the one currency accepted/exchanged everywhere)

I think as the world becomes more "digitalized", a currency like bitcoin will be needed, I just don't know if the political powers will allow it to become the one.  When it comes down to it, the lawmakers will be reluctant to give up certain powers,  and may cause some headwinds for the future of bitcoin.
Wells75

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:56:04 PM

I guess we will have to wait and see  Wink
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:05:16 PM

I am talking about 100+ years after all the coins have been mined.

Huh

You want predictions about what the world will be like over 200 years from now?

That's like asking those involved in the American Revolutionary War to predict the existence of the internet.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:13:53 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 07:11:53 PM by Gator-hex

I am talking about 100+ years after all the coins have been mined.  Assuming it is still around and has value.

-Will currency speculation be extinct? (eg http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/08/george-soros-bank-of-england.asp)

*No, we will have other crypto coins and commodities to speculate against.

-How will Bitcoin affect income inequality?  
   +Due to human nature, will it change at all?
   +Will it cause central banks to increase/decrease the money supply?

* If it keeps up with energy inflation, like I suspect it will, it will allow people to save for their retirement instead of having their savings inflated away by central banks or forced to invest in risky stock markets.

* You wouldn't have to charge interest on a loan to maintain purchasing power.

* Government would have to run a balanced budget which would mean smaller government.

* You would have true capitalism, with no government bailouts. This would lead to more honest politics.

* There would be less wars because you couldn't raise the finance against your yet to be born citizens.

* We wouldn't have a world fueled by population growth, which would be more efficient on resources.

-Will it every be the Worlds Currency? (eg the one currency accepted/exchanged everywhere)

I think as the world becomes more "digitalized", a currency like bitcoin will be needed, I just don't know if the political powers will allow it to become the one.  When it comes down to it, the lawmakers will be reluctant to give up certain powers,  and may cause some headwinds for the future of bitcoin.

* Politicians don't choose the currency, capitalists choose to accept it, that's why communist countries have empty shelves.

Kako88 (OP)

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:15:02 PM

I am talking about 100+ years after all the coins have been mined.

Huh

You want predictions about what the world will be like over 200 years from now?

That's like asking those involved in the American Revolutionary War to predict the existence of the internet.

Good point! Once we develop time travel, the T-1000's will program all the computer's to mine in collusion so the computers will take over easier.  Thus, the cyber-monkey war will happen a little bit sooner than the alien invasion.

All-in-all, I guess I'd just lay little more on GSP against Hendricks tomorrow night.  I think he is a steal at under -250.
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:32:34 PM

I think by 100 year there will be something else. I could see btc still used in come areas, but largely I think it will be replaced.
irpirate

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:40:02 PM

At the moment no one can predict what will happen with bitcoin in the next few months, let alone 100 years  Tongue
So yeah, bitcoin is pretty unpredictable right now  Huh
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:02:03 PM

i don't know if btc will collapse in the long run or not.. to think it would go one way or another would be foolish to me. but as such, i am riding it all the way to the end. it's kind of like a lottery ticket (but with better chances): there's a very good chance i may lose everything.. but i'm okay with that.
VlaDeMaN

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:16:38 PM

i think the concept is fantastic. in a negative light, i hear a lot of objections from the public over the anonymity which provides a haven for criminal activities. limit this or get the public to be ok with it and i think a major long term barrier will have been lifted.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:24:17 PM

My long term view is that it is going to make me rich!

1001bitcoins

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:26:19 PM

i think they will last foreve!
JDice

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:26:49 AM

In the long term, Bitcoin will be replaced by something else. The question is when  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: