Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:59:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving staking wallet to external hard drive  (Read 92 times)
Crytptohack (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 15

HodL!

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2018, 07:57:52 PM

I purchased one of those mini pc's to stake a coin, but found out pretty fast that the blockchain takes up a lot of memory, so much that a smaller gigabyte HD will fill up in a month or so. 

So I purchased an external HD and moved over the folder.  It did free up memory on the mini pc and I thought that the blockchain would now be on the external.  But after a week or so, the mini pc is filling up quite fast with the blockchain data.

The coin that I have is syndicate.  Doe anyone know if I can find the location of the blockchain on the C drive and just move it over?  Or do I need to delete everything and start over from the external HD?

Thanks!
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 08:47:45 PM

I purchased one of those mini pc's to stake a coin, but found out pretty fast that the blockchain takes up a lot of memory, so much that a smaller gigabyte HD will fill up in a month or so. 

So I purchased an external HD and moved over the folder.  It did free up memory on the mini pc and I thought that the blockchain would now be on the external.  But after a week or so, the mini pc is filling up quite fast with the blockchain data.

The coin that I have is syndicate.  Doe anyone know if I can find the location of the blockchain on the C drive and just move it over?  Or do I need to delete everything and start over from the external HD?

Thanks!

By any means I'm not a professional with things like this but you should find your blockchain info from %appdata% and then from the corresponding folder.
Don't know anything about resyncing it though.

Crytptohack (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 15

HodL!

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 12:58:36 AM

Thanks!

By any means I'm not a professional with things like this but you should find your blockchain info from %appdata% and then from the corresponding folder.
Don't know anything about resyncing it though.

Thanks for the info, I guess that I will be trying different things.  I'm not too sure how common this is.  I did a search a week ago and there are questions about moving wallets to external HD's.  I'll need to re-read them...
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 02:07:32 AM

Thanks!

I would advise against staking on an external hard drive.  By all means back your wallet up to an external drive but I do not like the idea of running a wallet off one.  If you could get something like a stakebox that might be good...  stakebox.org
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: