Bitcoin Forum
September 03, 2024, 02:21:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbienewb with questions  (Read 439 times)
skittlesloli (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:56:14 PM

Hi I'm new.

I want to mine bitcoins to help pay for my tuition.
I found a video on youtube that showed me how to get a mining program at this site (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m-cn7Mo5oA).

Now I'm overwhelmed by all the things on this site, all the threads I have to read to get started, incredibly overwhelming.

I don't know what else to say.
OH I didn't ask a question. Ok so... can I just click the link and run the program? I don't trust giveaways and contests, I don't want to rely on people to get me bitcoins. But is there anything I must know before mining?
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:27:53 PM

I don't really think there is much money to be made in mining. Most people who are making money are making it because the price of btc is going up. So if you want, you can buy btc and hope it goes up in value, but I think the days of many people mining for profit are over. btw I do mine and have not made a return on investment.
skittlesloli (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:35:23 PM

(So I hadn't made a post in over 40 minutes, go to make a reply and get denied, saying I've already posted and have to wait a whole 360 seconds?? What kind of joke is this???)

Thank you for the reply.
It does kind of seem like mining is taking longer than before.
I'd just be running it on my computer, so unless the program costs money I wouldn't be investing anything except electricity, which running this thing hasn't made me money yet. Tongue

Would it even be possible to get one BTC a month? At the current exchange rate I only need .75 BTC a month to make my payments.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:45:06 PM

(So I hadn't made a post in over 40 minutes, go to make a reply and get denied, saying I've already posted and have to wait a whole 360 seconds?? What kind of joke is this???)

Thank you for the reply.
It does kind of seem like mining is taking longer than before.
I'd just be running it on my computer, so unless the program costs money I wouldn't be investing anything except electricity, which running this thing hasn't made me money yet. Tongue

Would it even be possible to get one BTC a month? At the current exchange rate I only need .75 BTC a month to make my payments.

With a CPU?

I don't think you can even get 1 BTC per year.  I suspect you won't be able to get 1 BTC per decade (although I haven't tried the math yet on that one).
VlaDeMaN

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:04:32 PM

mining isn't really profitable in the short term unless you have the hardware that will do so. assuming you are a n00b as you claimed the i also assume you have very little hardware.

there is a lot of information you need to familiarize yourself with and you also can't be shy around computers.

cpus are the weakest in bitcoin mining, followed by GPUs and FPGA devices, then ultimately ASIC devices. it started out with cpus, then it got more difficult and GPUS were able to make a dent, then they were surpassed by fpgas, then asics.

i switched to mining other coins because my GPU hardware just doesn't cut it. i will trade the other coins for btc. to me it constantly looks like a break even scenario with little to profit. i only see it being profitable in the long term. mine as many btc as soon as possible and hold em till they blow up. unless you're ready to spend thousands in hardware, or able to make a nice botnet, i don't see how you can profit. might as well just trade btc to profit. good luck!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: