Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:11:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How are you preparing for an Economic Collapse/Great Depression 2.0?  (Read 3170 times)
beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:27:33 PM

i have done.. nothing, really. but maybe this thread can be of use to some people who are looking for ideas on what to do in the event of a great economic collapse, which most of us tend to believe is coming within our lifetime.. or even this decade. what are some suggestions? if i were a millionaire, i'd consider it a good investment.

- stockpile some chlorine. in the event of a great economic collapse, clean water will be scarce. you only need a small amount of chlorine to purify water.
- possibly invest in solar panels and renewable energy/resources?
- buy some guns/firearms to protect yourself?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:29:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonhfBv64dE

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:38:32 PM

moringa oleifera is a low maintenance, high nutrition plant. you don't need to water it much, and it has protein/vitamins to feed you. i do have some, so i guess that's a start. though it does taste putrid, it'll keep me alive. hell, it even purifies water for you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moringa_oleifera
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:00:59 AM

I has a boat. Or, I will sometime between bitcoin becoming more valuable than it is and everything imploding.

The idea goes like this: Put up a windmill, maybe several, to power the fridge/water filters/nav/etc. With the ability to convert sea water to drinking water, and everything powered by the wind (either sails or electric engines, or both), all I'd need to do is fill up on food once a month or whatever and live out to sea during troubled times.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
lucaspm98

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:13:31 AM

I'm a small "prepper". 50 gal rain barrel, another 50 gallons of water, bug out bags, small solar panels, stockpiled foods, and lots of other things randomly stockpiled. Also have a ton of junk silver which I believe will be a new currency along with Bitcoin if the dollar collapses. Im not a crazy person fearing an alien invasion, but the world is getting more and more volatile and it's better to be safe than sorry.
BitCloud

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:21:47 AM

Costco dry food + a couple gallons of olive oil and coconut oil frozen
Water purifiers
Keeping family fit
renaxi

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:15:47 PM

Getting my education done so i have some knownlegde on electrical Circuits and electricity. Then safe up money and get myself a 20+ hectare Island a bit away from the society. Get some windmills, solar panels and other powerforms. Plant some pines, beech and fruit trees. Getting some farm animals like cows and chickins, maybe stockpile some cannfood and wheat for replant. Making a house from bricks because they need less renovation and are better to withstand temperature changes. Stockpile alot of chemicals, mostly for normalday uses, but some for development.

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:20:30 PM

In which region would your island reside?

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:34:31 PM

i have done.. nothing, really. but maybe this thread can be of use to some people who are looking for ideas on what to do in the event of a great economic collapse, which most of us tend to believe is coming within our lifetime.. or even this decade. what are some suggestions? if i were a millionaire, i'd consider it a good investment.

- stockpile some chlorine. in the event of a great economic collapse, clean water will be scarce. you only need a small amount of chlorine to purify water.
Beer.
renaxi

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:35:41 PM

Don't know yet, but was thinking of getting something within the temperated climate zone. And where there aren't any earthquakes.

renaxi

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:38:25 PM

Beer.

Beer? Just make it yourself. Nobody would hurt a guy, who know how to make beer. ^^

Rupture

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:40:15 PM

There is a difference between doomsday and a stock market crash, well, for most people anyway.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:47:34 PM

I has a boat. Or, I will sometime between bitcoin becoming more valuable than it is and everything imploding.

The idea goes like this: Put up a windmill, maybe several, to power the fridge/water filters/nav/etc. With the ability to convert sea water to drinking water, and everything powered by the wind (either sails or electric engines, or both), all I'd need to do is fill up on food once a month or whatever and live out to sea during troubled times.

Keeping in mind that weather is getting increasingly unpredictable and volatile as solar activity wanes. Hope its a big boat. The other thing, having had some  interaction with marine industries - maintenance.  Ocean going boats require lots of it.
dank
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:48:55 PM

Don't know yet, but was thinking of getting something within the temperated climate zone. And where there aren't any earthquakes.
I had my eyes on the Caribbeans if you want to be neighbor islands.

Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
renaxi

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:54:06 PM

I had my eyes on the Caribbeans if you want to be neighbor islands.
Mhh, doesn't sound bad, but the price will have to be pretty reasonable, or the bitcoins vaule would have to raise to way beyond what it is now. But sure sounds like a good idea. But atleast 5 years before i start earning some serious money. So would be around 7-8 years before you would see me as your neighbor. Smiley

cdtc

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:26:24 AM

I wont prepare, I mean thinking like this doesn't make any sense.
Living in constant fear and preoccupations if  something bad is gonna happen doesn't make much of a life.
A car could run over you just tomorrow, so whats the point?

BetFury                                                     
🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹
                                                    Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                   
dank
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 01:02:32 AM

No worries, bitcoin should raise a good 10,000% or so by then.

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 01:03:43 AM

Living in constant fear and preoccupations if  something bad is gonna happen doesn't make much of a life.

The forecast calls for high winds and unprecedented snowfall. It is relatively calm, with just a few flakes falling. Do you
a) ignore all warnings, and start a 5 day hike in shorts and a T shirt, carrying nothing because nothing bad could ever happen(or you are going to be hit           by a car anyway)

b) Dress warmly, and carry shelter & supplies
c) Stay home with a cozy fire and some supplies

a) seems singularly foolish to me. Why do anything for future comfort or gain if you expect to be hit by a car tomorrow. This doesn't mean go live in a bunker with your dog for the next 10 years, but some forethought and planning for possible scenarios is a sound practice. Being prepared doesn't mean living in fear. Most who prepare for setbacks do so for peace of mind because they DO NOT expect to be run over by a car tomorrow.  
cdtc

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 01:31:16 AM

The forecast calls for high winds and unprecedented snowfall. It is relatively calm, with just a few flakes falling. Do you
a) ignore all warnings, and start a 5 day hike in shorts and a T shirt, carrying nothing because nothing bad could ever happen(or you are going to be hit           by a car anyway)

b) Dress warmly, and carry shelter & supplies
c) Stay home with a cozy fire and some supplies

a) seems singularly foolish to me. Why do anything for future comfort or gain if you expect to be hit by a car tomorrow. This doesn't mean go live in a bunker with your dog for the next 10 years, but some forethought and planning for possible scenarios is a sound practice. Being prepared doesn't mean living in fear. Most who prepare for setbacks do so for peace of mind because they DO NOT expect to be run over by a car tomorrow.  

You cant compare weather and this these are different things. All that sounds a little too much obsessive about material goods and personal comfort to me.And I don't see people preparing for things like this anywhere but in America. People survived far worse things.

BetFury                                                     
🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹
                                                    Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                   
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 02:15:25 AM

....doesn't mean go live in a bunker with your dog for the next 10 years, but some forethought and planning for possible scenarios is a sound practice. Being prepared doesn't mean living in fear. Most who prepare for setbacks do so for peace of mind because they DO NOT expect to be run over by a car tomorrow.  

bunker?

How about gaining some basic skills?  Machine shop, welding, carpendry, concrete and the segments of engineering behind them.  How engines and motors and such work.  And there's a lot more to gardening than one might think.

A lot of people today are terribly ignorant about the basics.  Like, a hobby of building race cars would generate some survivors...
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: