Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:10:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The biggest threat to Bitcoin...  (Read 2128 times)
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:42:07 PM

The revolution will be compromised.

how can you validate bitcoins.
they are not moving place only moving adress , they stay the same bitcoin forever.
Result one day all bicoins will be tainted....
so there is no way to pull this of , tecnicaly!
its like the coke traces on dollar bills.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:48:06 PM

Let's pontificate on the dynamics of "forking":

Does this sound reasonable?

TLDR: I think the forking dynamics result in an unstable equilibrium such that one chain eventually becomes dominant.  

True. I think that could be a scenario.

Nevertheless it would definitely damage the mainstream adoption and market valuations of all cryptocurrencies imo.

You are right when you assume that the valuations will go for chain A and chain B to 50% at first. But also both will loose alot more cause of the overall confusion and trust that was lost to mainstream adopters that werent aware of such things to happen.
If such a incident really occurs and alot of people find themselves in the middle of a nerd-/kiddy-fight with maybe thousands of US-Dollars invested even trust in cryptocurrencies in general will take a HUGE hit. Like beetcoin put it right who gurantees that the next altcoin wont run into such inner-circle-fights again?

It would lead to the insight that cryptocurrencies maybe a good mean to perform value transactions but not a good place to invest wealth.

I see your worry, but I guess I am more optimist about the collective wisdom of our bitcoin community.  

If such a fork were credibly on the table, it would be televised in advance across the community.  I think in most disputes it would be clear before the first forked-code is downloaded which chain will win.  The miners have an incentive to "make the right choice" from the get go, so we would see all sorts of polls and surveys to help them make their decision.  Mainstream adopters would just get dragged along with the majority, without any real effort or concern on their part.

In the (extremely?) unlikely event that we do have a ~50/50 forks, again I think this would be predicted in advance.  Perhaps people running the web-wallets like Blockchain.info (the wallets the mainstream users use) could simply track the coins on both forks and calculate wallet balance based on the real-time market value of the pre and post fork coins.  Again this would be fairly transparent to the mainstream user.  Somehow, I think market forces would solve the problem very quickly without causing too much pain to the mainstream user.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: