Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:07:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I be taxed?  (Read 5184 times)
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 13, 2011, 03:44:53 PM

Until you have to exchange bitcoins for some other currency to do most of your buying/selling you can't escape taxes any easier then you can without using bitcoins. I order for bitcoins to provide that option you'd need to have job paying in bitcoins and be able to buy/sell most of what you buy/sell in bitcoins.

The possibility is there but we're a long way off. Maybe in 10 or so years.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 13, 2011, 05:12:56 PM

There's another one called CoinTumbler at the Onion address: http://lbrmvt4plqojaulx.onion/

Server Not Found error on the onion address.  Is that correct address?

Are you trying to access it thru TOR?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 13, 2011, 10:32:34 PM

I have a question about taxing and how easy it is to find me.

But seriously, how can Bitcoin become ubiquitous without dealing with the tax issue? If it ends up displacing USD or whatever currency is in the country of interest, then the government would essentially get no funding because it is nearly impossible for them to figure out who owns which bitcoins, how me depositing to my "savings" wallet is any different from a commercial exchange, and if specific bitcoins are still even "in" the country or not.

Like it or not, at least some taxation is necessary, so I'm trying to see how bitcoin can succeed when the global scope and decentralization makes it practically impossible to tax? (If this information is out there, please let me know. I've pretty much been reading about bitcoins all week and this doesn't seem addressed.)

The government will probably start to regulate/enforce tax deductions on all (low level) employee paychecks.

The people who own the businesses and own the country still get away with paying relatively low/no taxes.

And it's back to your regularly scheduled program.
river

March 18, 2011, 02:59:12 AM

Taxes are an ACT of government ...

ACTS are NOT LAWS .. they only have to force of law given CONSENT of the citizen.  Since the PEOPLE of every nation today said NO to all government regulations .. they are all unlawful .. and so are the government criminals.

Hence, they only way they GANGS (governments) can TAKE control is at gun point ... so .. lawfully defend  yourself .. 'life, liberty and SECURITY of person and property'

Every community is capable of maintaining itself, its road, health care, etc.

The only reason ANYONE pays taxes today in ANY nation is because of FEAR or CONTRACTS ..... FIAT, government CREATED and OWNED currencies enforced by FORCE.

Paper money ... with their faces on it.  Taxes are THEIR cut of THEIR property that you willingly use for barter/trade.
Worst of all is that almost ALL taxes from every nation do NOT go to the Nation itself, they go to the global bankers that committed crimes against humanity with their corruption.

So .. beyond 'life, liberty, and security of person and propery' ... governments can not lawfully regulate ANY thing they do not create.  Gold, Silver, Bitcoin, etc. non-taxable .. UNLESS .. you SIGN a CONTRACT ... like to create a "LEGAL" (government controlled and regulated) business.

If you trade a FART for a sandwich .. you can NOT be LAWFULLY taxed on the FART .. because you didn't sign a GOVERNMENT CONTRACT.

That's why 90% + of ALL LAWS are CONTRACT LAW.

IE: .. get a job .. any job ... SIGN A GOVERNMENT CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT ... requiring you follow THEIR rules.

You choose ... no contracts, except what you create (if any) for yourself ... hence bitcoin is anonymous, just in case the corrupt bastard try to FORCE their corrupt will on everyone ... again.
ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 04:56:46 AM

Governments discovered long ago that taxing is best done through coercing companies not people. As companies grow it becomes impossible for them to lie to government auditors (among 1000 employees there will always be at least one whistle blower). That's why they collect most personal taxes through payroll deductions. That leaves personal income not from payroll. If contractors start hiding their income governments will require the companies that use them report more details about payments. If investors hide income, brokers will report more details. etc...

So the only income you can hide is minor incidental income from personal exchanges. If these grow big (for example from drug dealing) they'll get you when you try to purchase big items from companies that do report. Ever try to buy a house without going through some reputable companies?

You will pay taxes, even if the only currency is Bitcoin.
river

March 20, 2011, 07:00:02 PM

ffe,

no you won't .. and you don't now your ass from a whole in the ground ... DIRECT TAXATION is ILLEGAL & UNCONSTITUTIONAL by ANY common law rules nation including the U.S. and Canada ..

Since you don't know the laws worth a shit OR how they came to be, keep your miss-informed opinions to yourself ...

Taxes are CRIMINAL .... those who do NOT, consent to, or pay them, are 'patriotic' peoples.

I bet you didn't know that 100% .. 'that means ALL, for you stupid/miss-informed people', of INCOME TAX goes ONLY to interest on the illegal central bank loans to the nation.   Not a single #$@%# penny goes to the nation itself ... nothing ....

Roads are pay for by the oil and gas taxes you pay at the pump/store register .... education and all other community expenses are payed for the LOCAL taxes such as property tax.  But INCOME tax (any direct tax), is a crime in EVERY way .... down to the original criminal 'rulers' that criminally signed the corrupt contracts in the first place.

There are literally millions of people in Canada & the U.S. (including former I.R.S. agents) that do NOT pay them, as well, PUBLICLY admit they do not AND encourage others NOT TO as they themselves have stated .. it's criminal.

"those whom sacrifice there liberties for the illusion of false security, desire neither liberty NOR security" (that was a wise man)

None of it is legal, lawful or constitutional ... so NO ... you do NOT have to pay taxes  ...

this is NOT an opinion .. it is a TECHNICAL & LAWFUL FACT.  PERIOD!
ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 07:33:36 PM

ffe,

no you won't .. and you don't now your ass from a whole in the ground ... DIRECT TAXATION is ILLEGAL & UNCONSTITUTIONAL by ANY common law rules nation including the U.S. and Canada ..

Since you don't know the laws worth a shit OR how they came to be, keep your miss-informed opinions to yourself ...

Taxes are CRIMINAL .... those who do NOT, consent to, or pay them, are 'patriotic' peoples.

You are right River. Taxes are CRIMINAL. I just meant you will pay taxes because you are being coerced to pay taxes. By force.
Bitcoin doesn't help with that.
river

March 20, 2011, 08:13:21 PM

My apologies for the harsh language .. bad morning .... but that's not an excuse .... still my bad!
Anonymous

March 20, 2011, 11:05:54 PM

What can you do about it ? Nothing except shout impotently into the wind which doesnt change anything.

In the world the government has made it acceptable to do what it does and it has the backing of the majority. It will pick liberty loving people off one by one and failing that brainwash their kids into subservience.

If you stray outside the restricted rules you are a terrorist.....

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 11:13:36 AM

"those whom sacrifice there liberties for the illusion of false security, desire neither liberty NOR security" (that was a wise man)

I think you wrote the quote incorrectly....

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Dobry Den

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 05:43:39 PM

I don't have any control about which coins I spend so my best bet would be to put it in some sort of mixing service that I read about in the forum a while ago. Am I correct about this?

It is possible to work out which bitcoins belong to who, but it requires some effort. The IRS (or equivalent) would not be able to cope with the burden.

That's not how auditing works.

If you were to be audited by the IRS, they generally start at a very transparent transaction (like the purchase of a house), then work backwards to determine the source of funds. The onus, of course, is on you to lead them down the trail, and the general case is that your paid taxes don't add up to expended funds, so they extrapolate your purchase history as unreported earnings. Then you're retroactively responsible for those taxes + punitive fees and possible litigation.

It's no different than if you launder money. No matter how complicated and untraceable your laundering practice is, investigation starts at wherever your money rears its head in a transaction and you're going to have to explain it. The government doesn't just "give up" if it's too complicated: They just place the burden on you to uncomplicate it, else they attribute the disparity to negligence (at the very least).

I'm not a lawyer and this is only my observation.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: