Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 03:43:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why China is investing so much in bitcoin  (Read 1830 times)
BitchicksHusband (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:07:16 PM

I put this in the Bears thread, but I think it deserves a topic of its own.  Many people think China has no money (or at least no money to invest) but this couldn't be further from the truth.

This recent 60 Minutes episode about empty apartment buildings is very enlightening as to why there are so many bitcoins being bought by the Chinese:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50152767n

Once you realize how much money they have and how few investment opportunities, you'll understand the appeal of bitcoin.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:13:30 PM

Isn't that news from 2 years ago? And I haven't saw many Chinese buying. I presume there a handful of rich speculators on bttchina.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:16:03 PM

There are a lot of wealthy people in China. Not much a middle class, but the recent economic boom has produced alot of wealth and they're looking for investments.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
BarkinTree

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:23:03 PM

Isn't that news from 2 years ago? And I haven't saw many Chinese buying. I presume there a handful of rich speculators on bttchina.
i would guess the same. looking at volume, this is still a tiny phenomenon. it doesn't make sense to try to explain this as a mainstream phenomenon.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 10:45:07 PM

The chinese are working on a counterfeit bitcoin as we speak. thats all they are good for.

You make a good point. The Chinese are likely to have a short attention span with bitcoin similar to other "booms" they go through and once they find another diversion, whether it be a bitcoin counterfeit or not, there is likely to be a global drop in investor demand = lower prices.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
BitchicksHusband (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:21:51 AM

And I haven't saw many Chinese buying.

Where have you been?  You really think all that activity on BTCChina is being done by a handful of people?

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:28:52 AM

There are about 5 sites as large as BTCChina, which together should have traded billions of yuans on one single rally day.

Here is a link for some perspectives: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334630.0

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:53:12 PM

No, its not mainstream in china, but I don't see why that means the OP doesn't have a point.

The government isn't truly capitalist, which means it destroys most investment opportunities. BTC represents not only an investment opportunity, but potentially a way of getting away from both that government, AND the US government, at the same time. Its a natural place to turn to.

Rupture

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 01:14:31 AM

There are a lot of wealthy people in China. Not much a middle class, but the recent economic boom has produced alot of wealth and they're looking for investments.
Don't they have the highest amount of billionaires? Around 1,200 or something
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 02:49:07 AM

Here is why the *china is investing in bitcoin* thesis *could* be bullshit:

Yuan trading volume appears to be cannibalizing Euro trading volume. This can be explained with two different things:
At first, it was the cheaper or free trading fee schedule of Chinese exchanges.
Later it's also propping up the *China is investing in Bitcoin* -myth,

You can see a graph consistent with this thesis here:
http://data.bitcoinity.org/#caaabbdiaa

This is easy and convenient to do for traders who are also in the forex market, Dollar/Euro and Dollar/Yuan pairs are both very popular and available for cash-outs in both directions.
hate along
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:23:14 AM

Here is why the *china is investing in bitcoin* thesis *could* be bullshit:

Yuan trading volume appears to be cannibalizing Euro trading volume. This can be explained with two different things:
At first, it was the cheaper or free trading fee schedule of Chinese exchanges.
Later it's also propping up the *China is investing in Bitcoin* -myth,

You can see a graph consistent with this thesis here:
http://data.bitcoinity.org/#caaabbdiaa

This is easy and convenient to do for traders who are also in the forex market, Dollar/Euro and Dollar/Yuan pairs are both very popular and available for cash-outs in both directions.
hate along

+480

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
goldlyre

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:33:56 AM

Chinese TuHao (vulgar riches) and Chinese DaMa (old ladies) are swarming into the Bitcoin market to hastily snatch whatever coins that still left.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:53:09 AM

i'm not an expert on economics, but isn't the housing bubble part of the problem? the chinese don't want to hold onto debased USD, and their economy/currency are not doing so well.. so their money has to go somewhere right?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: