Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:35:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it too hard to get Merit? (not a CryBaby post)  (Read 439 times)
Wookii (OP)

Activity: 152
Merit: 18

Czech/English translator for ICOs

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 06:57:29 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2018, 04:57:26 AM by Wookii

Hello everyone!

As the title says, do you think it is too hard to get Merit? To get Merit, you need to produce high quality post. But not only that, someone has to consider the post to be of high quality. And not only that, that certain someone has to have Smerit... Now you need to meet those 3 criteria and everything has to be at exact time. So taking the time of posting the article into account too... So to get anywhere near sr. member rank now you need to produce articles of following criterias:

Variables:

• Quality
  • Interest
  • Smerit
  • Time

Interest is produced by quality so you can say Quality=Interest, now you will get merit only if the interested person has Smerit, so Merit = Smerit * Interest (if the interested person has 0 smerit, you will get 0 merit), also you need to post it at a time the interested person would be online... So we need to update the Quality=Interest to Quality * Time = Interest. The time can move between 0 and 1. 0 being wrong time, the interested person would not be able to see the post so the interest = 0. 1 is being the correct time and your post will meet with the targeted audience.

If we put everything together, we get Merit = Smerit * Quality * Time. What can we deduce? First of all, if there is too little Smerit between users, you will never get merit even though you produce high quality posts... Second of all, if you post high quality psot at a wrong time, once again, you will get 0 merit. Lastly, if you post anything at the right time and people with enough smerit see it, but the quality is not high enough, once again you get 0 merit.

There are just too many variables and it is really difficult for new members to rank up. I have seen people with more Activity than me with 0 Merit, being jr. members or memebers (with difficulties). Is tehre any chance for the revision of the Merit system?

Thank you for your time and have a great day!

AX 1 ❱❱ Capital Appreciation Mining Token
❱❱❱ CrowdSale:  April 16, 2018  ❰❰❰
 [ White Paper ]  [ Bitcoin ANN ]  [ Facebook ]  [ Instagram ]
 [ LinkedIn ] [ Telegram ]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 06:59:31 AM
Merited by TMAN (1)

There are just too many variables and it is really difficult for new members to rank up.
False. It is still too easy, especially becoming a jr. member.

Is tehre any chance for the revision of the Merit system?
No.

This is a crybaby post. Go away.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Wookii (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 07:10:55 AM

There are just too many variables and it is really difficult for new members to rank up.
False. It is still too easy, especially becoming a jr. member.

Is tehre any chance for the revision of the Merit system?
No.

This is a crybaby post. Go away.

Oh common, I have put quite a lot of effort into the post and you are jsut a hater Sad( JK, well it is really easy to become jr. member can't argue with that, but that is not a bad thing though. The member is not that hard too, but requires some effort at least... Anyhow, i expect you getting the legendary status before merit system?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 07:14:07 AM

Anyhow, i expect you getting the legendary status before merit system?
If you are insinuating that I'm in favor of this flawed solution to spam because I was already a legendary member, then you are most definitely the crybaby that this thread makes you look like.

Oh common, I have put quite a lot of effort into the post and you are jsut a hater Sad(
If you want me to be frank, then I'd say that I consider this thread a shitpost and would demerit you for it if I could.

Just lock this thread.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
RAMSHIVDEEPAK

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 07:19:53 AM

There is no need to write again and again on same old topic related to merit..... merit and merit.there is no need to change ,it is working with good speed.
You will not get any merit for this type of post.There is only one way to get merit, write quality post with some new or unique topic that will enhance the knowledge of members .
Wookii (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 07:21:18 AM

If you are insinuating that I'm in favor of this flawed solution to spam because I was already a legendary member, then you are most definitely the crybaby that this thread makes you look like.

Well as i could see in the past, it was much easier fir higher ranked members to actually get Merit. People tend to send Smerit to Sr. Members and above more often, even on a single comments, not just posts...

If you want me to be frank, then I'd say that I consider this thread a shitpost and would demerit you for it if I could.

Oh my, you don't have the "GrumpyKitty" title just for the show ey? This post is meant for a discussion, not a one way thinking like yours. Different people have different opinions, i do not force my opinion on you and i take your opinion int oaccount. I understand you don't have any issues with the system, as you are standing at the top of the system.

TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 07:35:18 AM

If we put everything together, we get Merit = Smerit * Quality * Time. What can we deduce?

We can deduce that you have completely missed the point.

A forum is a place where people come together to discuss a shared interest, in this case Bitcoin. Where that is happening people are getting merited not on an arbitrary measurement of quality or how much time was involved but on how useful other people valued that interaction.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Wookii (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 07:43:18 AM

We can deduce that you have completely missed the point.

A forum is a place where people come together to discuss a shared interest, in this case Bitcoin. Where that is happening people are getting merited not on an arbitrary measurement of quality or how much time was involved but on how useful other people valued that interaction.

Got you. I do understand the point, just one addition. This forum is for a long time not only about Bitcoin. It has become the sanctuary for all of the cryptocurrency discussions. I also do understand, that the quality measurement is subjective as someone might find even single line post worth meriting. The thing is, people love the sense of progression. That is also one of the reasons to have ranking system (sure, the additional features are there too). And as i understood, ranking only based on activity was too easy to misuse (leading to spam etc.). But the Merit system might still prove to be too difficult sometimes, hindering the progression too much. On the other hand, the lower ranks actually do not limit the use of the forum...

TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 08:04:53 AM
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (1)

Got you. I do understand the point, just one addition. This forum is for a long time not only about Bitcoin. It has become the sanctuary for all of the cryptocurrency discussions.

It's worth noting that altcoin forums like cryptocurrencytalk.com are practically deserted and everyone chooses to come to the Bitcoin Forum. Not because it is a sanctuary, but because they can get paid to post here.

I also do understand, that the quality measurement is subjective as someone might find even single line post worth meriting. The thing is, people love the sense of progression. That is also one of the reasons to have ranking system (sure, the additional features are there too). And as i understood, ranking only based on activity was too easy to misuse (leading to spam etc.). But the Merit system might still prove to be too difficult sometimes, hindering the progression too much. On the other hand, the lower ranks actually do not limit the use of the forum...

I really don't think it is too difficult to rank up for people that use the forum for what it is intended for. It certainly is difficult for people that came here to earn money from posting about something they're really not interested in. It may slow the process down for some well intentioned people but I don't see that as a problem. Over time it will just make the ranks a little more meaningful.

Here's some numbers to illustrate my point.

2,044,505 accounts.
850,000 active accounts (estimated before this was hacked).
13,807 accounts received 1 or more merit (source).

Of that 13,807 I would estimate maybe half would be here if they weren't being paid and almost all of them would have no problem ranking up.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 09:41:06 AM

As the title says, do you think it is too hard to get Merit?

No.

People tend to send Smerit to Sr. Members and above more often, even on a single comments, not just posts...

I'm not a senior member or above, but I've currently been merited 138 times.

But the Merit system might still prove to be too difficult sometimes, hindering the progression too much. On the other hand, the lower ranks actually do not limit the use of the forum...

You've answered your own question. Being a junior member does not hamper your ability to use the forum whatsoever. The only reason to get angry about the merit system is because it is hindering your ability to get paid to shitpost.

There is no need to write again and again on same old topic related to merit..... merit and merit.there is no need to change ,it is working with good speed.
You will not get any merit for this type of post.There is only one way to get merit, write quality post with some new or unique topic that will enhance the knowledge of members .

Hilarious that you would berate another member for spamming about merit, when you have started multiple threads complaining about merit.
Wookii (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 10:01:20 AM

Hilarious that you would berate another member for spamming about merit, when you have started multiple threads complaining about merit.

This is the first topic I have started on this subject... Anyhow, as you can see, I have earned some merit even though I am not as active on the forum (not participating that much in forum based bounties, I specialize in translations), but I jsut wanted to discuss this subject. I get it why the Merit is here, but so fat, people are still kind of... Holding the Smerit, not really distributing it, just rarely. So maybe it just needs more time for people to gather more Smerit and change the way of thinking to share it more? Also, when i first started on this forum, I actually thought i would be giving away my own merit (and I am sure I was not the only one)... Sure, it was my fault for not reading enough articles about it Smiley

Keeshan

Activity: 213
Merit: 36

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 11:54:17 AM

It's actually very easy to get a lot of merits. You just have to:

1. Go back in time
2. Shitpost all day long
3. Rinse and repeat until more than thousand posts
4. Wait for Merit system
5. Voila, 500-1000 merits

If you want to collect 500-1000 merits now, forget it man, Satoshi himself (disguised) would not make it. Smiley

https://ibb.co/jAvrBn

mangtomas

Activity: 318
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 12:01:45 PM

lol. Tongue because of this threads many user of here threads argueng about meritsystem that how to get higher rank because of merit. by the way. just calmdown dude. your post related and similar in another topic. just make sometimes post that not related in merit. so other user well unite.  Grin
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 12:18:41 PM

If you want to collect 500-1000 merits now, forget it man, Satoshi himself (disguised) would not make it.

Somebody should tell the users that have already earned >500 merit...
Silentsweeper

Activity: 149
Merit: 14

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 12:36:52 PM

To complained about merit will not help you. To belong to this forum you need to be active and you must be patience.
Alone055

Activity: 1013
Merit: 197

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 12:37:52 PM

Aren't you supposed to be using + (plus) in place of * (multiply) in those estimates of yours?  Huh

athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 02:45:21 PM

Hello everyone!
There are just too many variables and it is really difficult for new members to rank up. I have seen people with more Activity than me with 0 Merit, being jr. members or memebers (with difficulties). Is tehre any chance for the revision of the Merit system?

Thank you for your time and have a great day!

This is not quite right. Having a lot of activity doesnt mean you would have a lot of merits because lot of activities doesnt mean you are a great and high quality poster, and to counter your statement, there are many people that have a lot of merits but low in activity points, why dont you bring this up? Because you only see the bad sides of this system.

And no, there will be no revision in near time i guess.
Keeshan

Activity: 213
Merit: 36

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 02:58:45 PM

If you want to collect 500-1000 merits now, forget it man, Satoshi himself (disguised) would not make it.

Somebody should tell the users that have already earned >500 merit...

99% of them are given merits when the new system is introduced.

If you want to "post constructive post" here you have to be a tech person, because for some reason people here hate Altcoin section, marketing, bounties, airdrops and similar.

Well, all of that is a part of THIS FORUM.

People managing this forum have the identity crisis it seems. They hate altcoin section, but still, it is a big part of their forum.

I have a suggestion, just delete every part of the forum that isn't tech part of the Bitcoin and it will make merit system righteous.

Very simple.

Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 03:33:25 PM
Merited by TryNinja (1)

it is really difficult for new members to rank up

I have got a "not a CryBaby" question for ya... Why do you want to rank up? Does bitcointalk prevents you from posting in major sections? Cuz last time i checked that was not the case... Smiley
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 10746

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 04:09:46 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2018, 05:58:30 PM by DdmrDdmr

I believe that the main variable is interest. That is after all what posts should aim at, being interesting. Whatever you write can be viewed in many ways by different people, depending on what each one of us is drawn to, and just as in real life, in the forum we won’t get consensus on the degree of interest a post can achieve. Interest is in itself a multidimensional variable.
Interest will be correlated to quality in general, whereby quality will determine whether that interest is held throughout the post.
Factors such as tempo, language, expressiveness and tone all conform the support of the post, contributing to the overall perception.

Then you’ve got the placement factors which give your post visibility: post’s name, heat, posting section, thread, thread size, recency and time, to name a few. These factors are yours to consider and conform your credentials to be spotted by others. Visibility is a prime factor and actually one of the most critical, since good posts can get buried easily by others in a couple of minutes or hours at the most.

Now when you’ve got a post which is candidate to be interesting to some, and placed with a minimum of visibility, the next factor that weighs in is your audience. Good and interesting topics to some, may be disregarded by others due to the content’s no being interesting to them.
Lastly, you need to have attracted enough interest for some of the audience to pocket out some sMerit as a reward for your post. This is however a secondary factor to posting, although it is obviously relevant in a system that does bare ranks, and constitutes a means of recognition.

Having said all that, the point is that the formula is really much more complicated when you give it a thorough though.
Regardless, activity is a factor to use with care. Some are really active bringing nothing to the table, whilst others post with less frequency but more though into every post. Not all posts are going to be candidates to a Nobel or Pulitzer, but the trashcan should not be an objective either.

And no, I doubt the system is going to be revised so soon (monitored yes, but no revised). A brief one day "scare" was enough back on April the 1st ...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: