Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:26:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we discuss an alternative entity to the bitcoin foundation?  (Read 3132 times)
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:18:19 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2013, 01:36:10 AM by gweedo

Maybe some that gives more power to the community? Make funds and spending more transparent? Who wants to spearhead this and get the rolling. I think this would be great for a new foundation and the current foundation.
videos4btc

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:21:48 AM

Maybe some that gives more power to the community? Make funds and spending more transparent? Who wants to spearhead this and get the rolling. I think this would be great for a new foundation and the current foundation.

Maybe, have everything voted on , messages and funding through the blockchain. Keep EVERYTHING transparent.
videos4btc

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:25:28 AM

Maybe, have everything voted on , messages and funding through the blockchain. Keep EVERYTHING transparent.

Transparency should be a huge part. I also think it should have a board but the community can vote and that vote weights heavy more than a board seat.

+1 to this ^^ . It just make sense.
safeminer

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:33:06 AM

Aye to this one.

Transparancy is the core of bitcoin. People who want to change this should not be at the wheel. I say off with their heads
videos4btc

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:34:41 AM

Aye to this one.

Transparancy is the core of bitcoin. People who want to change this should not be at the wheel. I say off with their heads

Hell, even name it Decentralized Foundation for a Better Bitcoin.  Call it a day.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:23:35 AM

the word foundation.. why
using it means you have to register it with a government and then form a selected board and all the other blah.

how about call it a consortium. much like w3c. you can still set rules such as how many board members, what the consortiums aims are, how their funded etc etc.. exactly the same as a foundation.. just without having to tie it to a government register. meaning its a global consortium instead of an american government registered and audited group.

bitcoin does not need identity checks supervised by the USA. so why dogleash bitcoin to USA LAW

while trading bitcoin for products priced in bitcoin, thats for us to supervise our own money
while trading bitcoin for altcoin , thats for us to supervise our own money
while trading altcoin for products priced in altcoin, thats for us to supervise our own money

only identity check when you want FIAT above the amount allowed by the country of the desired FIAT you want.
EG
$10k a year limit
Euro 1k a day or Euro 10k a year

EG if you want to convert bitcoin into dollar to go to a bank account then and only then inside the exchange do you follow the fincen laws.
EG if you want to convert bitcoin into pounds to go to a bank account then and only then inside the exchange do you follow the FCA laws.
EG if you want to convert bitcoin into Yen to go to a bank account then and only then inside the exchange do you follow the FSA laws.
EG if you want to convert bitcoin into Euro to go to a German bank account then and only then inside the exchange do you follow the BaFin laws.
EG if you want to convert bitcoin into Euro to go to a French bank account then and only then inside the exchange do you follow the AMF laws.

you get the idea

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Rupture

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:40:07 AM

Maybe no central council at all? Or would that lead to total anarchy.
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:52:32 AM

I think bitcoins is at a stage where we need a representative body, that can help important project. That can take positions for the community, with the help of the community directing. It is for sure not going to hurt if done properly which is not what the bitcoin foundation has done.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 02:03:30 AM

Brilliant!  Let's do it!

Personally, my alternative to the Bitcoin foundation is me, and the voluntary relationships I form that involve Bitcoin.

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 02:10:30 AM

Bitcoin has already started the slide down the slippery slope.

Fortunately, there are many altcoins still standing strong by Satoshi's ideal of an independent and free currency. The next step in the evolution is the emergence of the altcoin.
Walter Rothbard

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 02:25:07 AM

Brilliant!  Let's do it!

Personally, my alternative to the Bitcoin foundation is me, and the voluntary relationships I form that involve Bitcoin.

But don't you want a place for business can turn to and go how do we get involved? Or to have project be sponsored and reward those people? Or even just a place where bitcoins can get a place that can explain how and why any place should use them?

I don't want a place to do that - I want lots of places to do that!

Let there be many Bitcoin foundations, instead of one.

steelboy

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:35:02 AM

A decentralised solution for a decentralised currency. That's crazy talk Wink
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:10:46 AM

No, if you don't like the foundation, fix it, don't just abandon the idea and walk away.

more or less retired.
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:13:43 AM

No, if you don't like the foundation, fix it, don't just abandon the idea and walk away.

That is exactly what I am trying to do. Completion will fix them, it is kinda hard when you have major bitccoin businesses and most of the dev team with them, but I am trying.
kwest

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:02:37 AM

I wouldn't mind having one or several trade organizations open to any and all businesses that use bitcoin, where owners can voice their own opinion separately from the foundation, and perhaps vote - again, separately from the foundation.

Alternatives for people of differing opinions are important for a democracy to work. And seeing as bitcoin is primarily an economic tool today, I feel that trade organizations/groups are key, just as political parties are in democratic countries.

You can't have just 1 party, you need several in order to more accurately represent the people's different opinions.
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:08:45 AM

I don't really see a reason for another "Foundation."

Bitcoin can run on it's own just fine. All it does is open the door to bad things like red and blacklisting coins.
kwest

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:30:54 AM

I don't really see a reason for another "Foundation."

Bitcoin can run on it's own just fine. All it does is open the door to bad things like red and blacklisting coins.

My reasoning behind having multiple trade organizations is just that; in order to combat red/blacklisting by uniting business owners who oppose such a thing. That's not the only benefit of course, but it's a major one that is highly relevant today.
jedunnigan

Activity: 279

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:33:02 AM

Whatever you do, base it not in rhetoric but in code.

You can't stop the Foundation from meeting with regulators at this point. That shipped has sailed. However, if you disagree with changes they make to the protocol you can have the code be your protest; disable and otherwise hinder redlisting efforts, etc...

But just imagine if the Foundation dissolves, who talks to the government? Someone has to; whoever takes their place probably won't have a private forum you can peruse and speak your mind. We might not even know who they are.

So what's that saying about keep your friends close your enemies closer...
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:38:58 AM

reposting this from other thread because I feel it's relevant:

I just had a thought that core developers could be on the payroll of the community. I think the Bitcoin community could and should lead by example and provide a model of financing the developers based on voluntarism. I know we have our fair share of people believing that voluntary cooperation can solve any sort of problem.

It's not hard to imagine. Each person working on/with the protocol can report their activities and progress and we, appreciative of their hard work as we are, sent some BTC their way. This way if some of them are not performing to the expectations of the Bitcoin community, we can not only voice our concern in a thread like this, but simply withdraw funding.

Just a thought.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
xDan

Activity: 688
Merit: 500

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:50:29 PM

I'd like to see some kind of Kickstarter type thing solely for Bitcoin related projects. Maybe it exists? If so, it needs popularising..

Bounties in the Project Development forum are a good part.

I suppose there is: https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/active?category_id=19

But reading that is all a bit hit-and-miss. Perhaps it's better to fund actual developer(s)...

but yeah.. maybe some sort of counter-foundation; a group with the purpose of developing or promoting the anonymity enhancing aspects of bitcoin.

I haven't joined the regular foundation, but this "counter-foundation" would be something I'd join.

Or maybe, just a "shim" foundation, a small group of people/marketers who work to promote projects relevant to the anonymity aspects of bitcoin. e.g. I don't much read the project development forum, but quickly scanning it I see a few things I should probably donate to. Wouldn't it be nice to get notifications of some sort for the best or most anonymity enhancing "original-satoshi-vision" of these projects? (and those run by devs with a good track record). And weekly updates/newsletters about this, updates on projects most needing funding etc.

Perhaps even we can donate to this foundation, and then when a certain amount of BTC is received, all members hold a vote on which project to be funded. (That way, some larger projects can be funded, rather than many smaller ones...)

e.g.

- community propose and vote on some btc projects
- nominate a destination funds address for, say, the top 10 voted on projects
- everybody sends money to the address of their favourite project
- at the end (either indicated by a time limit, or a specific combined total desired), the project with the most bitcoin "wins", and all bitcoins are combined and just this single project is funded

or maybe this counter-foundation doesn't involve itself at all with actual dev work, their only job (and donations go towards) raising awareness and marketing/promoting existing projects/kickstarters that fulfil some specific "Bill of Bitcoin Rights". (To be written... Wink )

/rambling

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: