Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 12:31:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought some btc ... now what?  (Read 1116 times)
imsoulrebel (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:58:50 AM

Hey all, I just purchased some btc and was curious when it clears whats my next step? Where do I keep it? I tried to download the btc qt but it errors out. I was hoping to send some to btc-e to trade for other alt coins and send some to a wallet... not sure how to setup a wallet, digital or physical.  Any help would be great thx
gracesfall

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 01:13:25 AM

Depends on if you want to just hang on to your BTC or make it work for you. I just got started myself and here is what I did:

a. get myself a wallet - I used CoinBase.

b. if you want to have your BTC work for you to earn *more* BTC get on an exchange where you can purchase gHz in a mining pool that will generate BTC as well as other types of cryptocurrency (e.g. Namecoin, Litecoin, etc...). I'm using CEX.io and so far have been very happy. I didn't have enough extra cash to purchase whole gHz, so I currently have 0.480 gHz (about 0.03744 BTC) and in about 8 hours I've earned 0.00042986 BTC - on less than half a gHz. I've also accrued some other cryptocurrency that gets mined alongside BTC.

That's just my experience, but so far I'm stoked!

Good luck Smiley

Cynthia
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 01:22:07 AM

I cover all of this in my book Bitcoin step by Step.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
CoinGeneral

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

The General

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:30:32 AM

First you should have downloaded a wallet first before buying any BTC. They need to know the address to send it to.

Don't listen to the first two, they're advertising themselves, look at their links they offer, only profits them while barely helping you.

Here's what you do

!) Download a wallet, because QT doesn't work for you download a different one
2) Run it and wait for it to sync with the network, should take 8+ hours maybe
3) Go to the address tab
4) There you click on 'create new address'
5) Give that address you created to the person
6) They will send BTC to that address
7) Then you will see it appear in your wallet

InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:40:17 AM

re one of the responses above -- coinbase is not a wallet. if we're going to call it that, it's a 3rd party wallet that does not give you control over your bitcoins. if anything happens to coinbase, your coins are in jeopardy. get your own wallet. qt, electrum, multibit -- all are great. encrypt it well and make backups.

don't trust any 3rd party to hold your coins. if there is one lesson for newbies to learn, that is it.

p.s. coinbase sucks anyway
gracesfall

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 01:43:58 AM

re one of the responses above -- coinbase is not a wallet. if we're going to call it that, it's a 3rd party wallet that does not give you control over your bitcoins. if anything happens to coinbase, your coins are in jeopardy. get your own wallet. qt, electrum, multibit -- all are great. encrypt it well and make backups.

don't trust any 3rd party to hold your coins. if there is one lesson for newbies to learn, that is it.

What is the transfer time on those wallets you're recommending?
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:47:19 AM

Get a wallet and keep it! Dont lose it!!
tekke
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:48:01 AM

+1. Right now your next step is download your wallet. I recommend qt, and transfer your bitcoins to this wallet. Then make some backups and store them. Keep your coins and enjoy the ride  Wink
gracesfall

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 01:56:35 AM

+1. Right now your next step is download your wallet. I recommend qt, and transfer your bitcoins to this wallet. Then make some backups and store them. Keep your coins and enjoy the ride  Wink

What's the link for QT? I'll give them a look. How quickly do they transfer $$ to / from your bank account, payment recipients, etc...
Authentic

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

1FRpXqj6kedknh5uNpdo8FS3U49XJPJJy1

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:02:28 AM

What's the link for QT? I'll give them a look. How quickly do they transfer $$ to / from your bank account, payment recipients, etc...
It's a software program. A Real Bitcoin Wallet always is. If you store your bitcoins on a website, you don't own them - you're trusting them to the website owner.

http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Choose from the first category: "Software wallets".

"Bitcoin-Qt" is the one they were talking about. I recommend you MultiBit.

lucaspm98

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:03:57 AM

1. Put the bitcoins in a secure, offline wallet.
2. Hold them until the price rises to a certain point.
3. Decide if you want to sell or keep on holding them.
4. Huh
5. Profit.
imsoulrebel (OP)

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:19:31 AM

thx for all replies....Been trying to run bitcoin qt and I get "failed to read block" is it compatible with  64 bit win? I was playing around and through this website found ppcoin and got that wallet to run, maybe running 2 isn't compatible? Looks like multibit will load easy enough.... also I purchased through coinbase is there a better alternative in the usa?
gracesfall

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 02:43:37 AM

I've downloaded Bitcoin-QT, now just waiting for it to sync up and I'll be transferring everything off of CoinBase.

Thank you for the tip about using a software wallet, btw. I appreciate it.
Johanna

Activity: 255

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:11:09 AM

Hey all, I just purchased some btc and was curious when it clears whats my next step? Where do I keep it? I tried to download the btc qt but it errors out. I was hoping to send some to btc-e to trade for other alt coins and send some to a wallet... not sure how to setup a wallet, digital or physical.  Any help would be great thx

Secure your wallet and put a really long password so no body can get it.....

lucaspm98

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:15:04 AM

Secure your wallet and put a really long password so no body can get it.....
Yes, make sure you use a secure password that you don't use anywhere else.
Authentic

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:18:04 AM

thx for all replies....Been trying to run bitcoin qt and I get "failed to read block" is it compatible with  64 bit win? I was playing around and through this website found ppcoin and got that wallet to run, maybe running 2 isn't compatible? Looks like multibit will load easy enough.... also I purchased through coinbase is there a better alternative in the usa?
Running 2 different wallets at once should not be a problem.

The solution to your Bitcoin-QT problem might be to start the program with the -reindex flag.

That means you must run (for example - this depends upon where you installed Bitcoin):
C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -reindex

And yes, I think CoinBase is the best way to buy Bitcoins in the USA right now.

MilesJohan

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:27:06 AM

bitcoin-qt should the best, did you try redownload and reinstall it? Online wallet are dangerous....

MileyJohanson
raspcoin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:30:25 AM

MultiBit is a good choice for new users. It is both lightweight and secure.

Authentic

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:18:56 PM

MultiBit is a good choice for new users. It is both lightweight and secure.
That is why I recommended that client.

gracesfall

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 01:28:07 PM

Bitcoin-QT is almost done sync-ing...lol. I started last night around 11pm and it is now 8:30am.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: