Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:04:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How much time do we have until the USD collapses?
1 year - 10 (12.7%)
2 years - 8 (10.1%)
3 years - 7 (8.9%)
4 years - 2 (2.5%)
5 years - 17 (21.5%)
6 years - 2 (2.5%)
7 years - 4 (5.1%)
8 years - 29 (36.7%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How long till the end of the USDollar?  (Read 7665 times)
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:51:25 PM

I think they can keep the dollar propped from a total collapse for a long time yet. Too much debt owed to too many countries for it to go away. China may be looking at an alternative, but it would be against their interest to let the dollar collapse.

Inflation will kill us, and we'll start using alternate currencies, and bartering for goods. They'll prop fiat up until after you need a wheelbarrow full to buy a loaf of bread.

You do know that the long term problem faced in the West is deflation don't you?  Inflation has been dead for over 30 years.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 08:03:29 PM

Simply move out of the city and build one of these.

Do you consider this a dugout?

No electricity, no gas supply, no hot and cold water, no toilet... Actually, not very far from a dugout, provided the walls are made from earth. It may look pleasing to the eye, but I don't think this hovel makes a decent, safe and sanitary dwelling... Cool

A hippie retreat! Grin

bobbit

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:06:25 PM

I think they can keep the dollar propped from a total collapse for a long time yet. Too much debt owed to too many countries for it to go away. China may be looking at an alternative, but it would be against their interest to let the dollar collapse.

Inflation will kill us, and we'll start using alternate currencies, and bartering for goods. They'll prop fiat up until after you need a wheelbarrow full to buy a loaf of bread.

You do know that the long term problem faced in the West is deflation don't you?  Inflation has been dead for over 30 years.

Well, if deflation is a general decline in prices, caused by a reduction in the supply of money or credit, I'm not so sure. I see rising prices on everything, not a decline in them. I see people locally getting raises, which leads me to believe money is more available, but worth less...and depending on type of credit, some is easy to obtain...including loans for land. At least here.

I don't consider myself a financial genius by any means, I just don't see a big fast collapse of the dollar...too many forces at work.

I'm always open to hear other views, and learn new things though.
uk1
Copper Member

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 08:07:22 PM

5 years max

dank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:33:49 PM

Simply move out of the city and build one of these.

Do you consider this a dugout?

No electricity, no gas supply, no hot and cold water, no toilet... Actually, not very far from a dugout, provided the walls are made from earth. It may look pleasing to the eye, but I don't think this hovel makes a decent, safe and sanitary dwelling... Cool

A hippie retreat! Grin
I'm quite sure that house has all of the above, except maybe gas, but why do you need gas?

It is much more safe than the houses we live in today, it is more resistant to high winds, tornadoes and earthquakes.  It is better for your health too, better than humans breathing in the byproducts of air conditioners and heating elements daily.

It is also less expensive and you can build your house exactly how you want it.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 08:50:52 PM

A hippie retreat! Grin
I'm quite sure that house has all of the above, except maybe gas, but why do you need gas?

It is much more safe than the houses we live in today, it is more resistant to high winds, tornadoes and earthquakes.  It is better for your health too, better than humans breathing in the byproducts of air conditioners and heating elements daily.

I strongly doubt about that. I see no electric wires but I see kitchenware outdoors, so I guess the food is cooked over a campfire. Without electricity you might use gas for cooking, so no gas either. Central water supply is probably also absent (iron trough outside), so no toilet (perhaps an outhouse somewhere around). Earth walls are just plain insanitary, next to nothing beside log walls... Cool

In any case if it has all of the above how would you call that "back to earth"? Grin

dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:58:57 PM

A hippie retreat! Grin

I strongly doubt about that. I see no electric wires but I see kitchenware outdoors, so I guess the food is cooked over a campfire. Without electricity you might use gas for cooking, so no gas either. Central water supply is probably also absent, so no toilet (perhaps an outhouse somewhere around). Earth walls are just plain insanitary, next to nothing beside log walls... Cool
Kitchenware?  That's a cup.  No electric wires?  They're in the wall.  Electric stove tops cost $100.  Water supply?  Called a well.

I would personally prefer people poop away from my house anyways.  But the great thing is, if you want people pooping in your house, you can build a bathroom inside, because you sorta build it yourself.

How is earth unsanitary, please enlighten me.  If I recall correctly, man made items are the cause of this modern problem of cancer.

Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 09:41:06 PM

Kitchenware?  That's a cup.  No electric wires?  They're in the wall.  Electric stove tops cost $100.  Water supply?  Called a well.

I would personally prefer people poop away from my house anyways.  But the great thing is, if you want people pooping in your house, you can build a bathroom inside, because you sorta build it yourself.

So the only thing which justifies this house as "back to earth" is its earth walls, right? Grin

What are these "earth" walls made from actually? Some type of concrete or plain old clay? Cool
Whatever it might be, wooden logs are much better, their only drawback being combustibility... Sad

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 09:44:55 PM

How is earth unsanitary, please enlighten me.  If I recall correctly, man made items are the cause of this modern problem of cancer.

Have you ever heard about worms, microbes and other evil creatures that live in soil and carry or cause various diseases? Grin
This modern problem of cancer? Are you kidding? Grin

Cancer has been known since ancient times... Cool

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:48:10 PM

You do know that the long term problem faced in the West is deflation don't you?  Inflation has been dead for over 30 years.

Well, if deflation is a general decline in prices, caused by a reduction in the supply of money or credit, I'm not so sure. I see rising prices on everything, not a decline in them. I see people locally getting raises, which leads me to believe money is more available, but worth less...and depending on type of credit, some is easy to obtain...including loans for land. At least here.

I don't consider myself a financial genius by any means, I just don't see a big fast collapse of the dollar...too many forces at work.

Fair points.

Inflation is a narrow measurement of price increases of a basket of specific goods.  Its low or non-existent in the Western economies.  It doesn't include house prices, rent or share prices so its fair to say that some things are getting much more expensive.  The theoretical reason deflation is a problem is that there is a global gut of savings - some inflation might force people to spend the savings and thus get the economy moving.
bobbit

Activity: 215

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 10:03:47 PM

No argument from me on that. There are days I wish it would all collapse fast, and other days I hope it doesn't. I just keep preparing and trying to minimize the effect it will have, if it happens.

You do know that the long term problem faced in the West is deflation don't you?  Inflation has been dead for over 30 years.

Fair points.

Inflation is a narrow measurement of price increases of a basket of specific goods.  Its low or non-existent in the Western economies.  It doesn't include house prices, rent or share prices so its fair to say that some things are getting much more expensive.  The theoretical reason deflation is a problem is that there is a global gut of savings - some inflation might force people to spend the savings and thus get the economy moving.
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 10:34:24 PM

How is earth unsanitary, please enlighten me.  If I recall correctly, man made items are the cause of this modern problem of cancer.

Have you ever heard about worms, microbes and other evil creatures that live in soil and carry or cause various diseases? Grin
This modern problem of cancer? Are you kidding? Grin

Cancer has been known since ancient times... Cool
You're such a troll.

mladen00
Legendary

Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013

K-ing®

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:22:35 AM

Maybe US$ will survive, but inflation... now it depends on those that have US invesment bonds (Japan, China) with +2000.000.000.000 $ in bonds.
When they activate the bonds....

IOTA
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:15:26 PM

Maybe US$ will survive, but inflation... now it depends on those that have US invesment bonds (Japan, China) with +2000.000.000.000 $ in bonds.

the $ will definitely survive, it  might become worthless but it will survive Wink

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:33:02 PM

the $ will definitely survive, it  might become worthless but it will survive Wink

As long as you can use it to pay taxes it has value. 
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:48:10 AM

the $ will definitely survive, it  might become worthless but it will survive Wink

As long as you can use it to pay taxes it has value.  

Actually that's a pretty important point.  Consider a future scenario a few years off....

...you and most everyone has USD/Pounds/Euros/etc and have bitcoins....

...what you going to pay taxes with?  The most worthless thing in the bucket.  What you gonna hang onto?  The bitcoin.  This actually argues for the continued existence of the Most Worthless.
morphKET

Activity: 134

We Are All One

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 03:21:21 AM

i'm going to say it will take about 5-10 years. the end is happening now. the dollar is dying right as we speak. yes there will be some trivial bumps along the way like another 2008, but it's dead. the dollar is on it's last gasps of air. and no, there is no way to bring this thing around. unless the fed goes, irs and all other psychos attached to it, than it MIGHT be able to change. but i sincerely doubt that either way. dollars got to go along with the old fiat system. it's been the restriction on humanity for far to long.

✰ PrimeDice.com | Instant Bitcoin Gambling | Free BTC Faucet | ( 1% edge) *Thread*
If you like my stories, toss a Satoshi or two:
1CHmp1TGSyus29K76S7X6AMtVUejj7BCcj
andreja1982

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:21:05 PM

End of USD means big start of BTC and others cryptocurrencies

NEM NEM NEM NEM NEM NEM NEM NEM NEM
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 04:37:55 PM

End of USD means big start of BTC and others cryptocurrencies

no it doesn't, it means a new currency will be born or an another one will be used, this would have absolutely no influence on bitcoin
but we're arguing for no reason as this isn't going to happen in our life span  Undecided

dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 04:51:02 PM

Sure it will.  Within the next decade.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: