Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:55:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Forbes Love Bitcoins?  (Read 1553 times)
applelover (OP)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:03:07 AM

I've seen the most consistent, intelligible, non-negative press on bitcoins from Forbes.com.  Why is that?
lucaspm98

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:06:42 AM

They are less biased than many other news sources, and their financial experience may show how Bitcoin can be a solid investment.
applelover (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:12:44 AM

Maybe it is forbes himself who directs them to be like that.  I remember Forbes ran for President on the basis of a flat tax, so I am guessing he is more liberterian than other powerful people.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 03:24:07 AM

We need to ask this guy if there's a Bitcoiner in their midst: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:27:46 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2013, 03:44:26 AM by Carlton Banks

No, wrong.

Some of the most negative press has come out of Forbes of late. Jon Matonis era seems like a long time ago, don't think he's written for Forbes in 6 months.

Jon used to cover the innovative aspects of Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies, things you can do with Bitcoin that are brand new concepts to money system, such as frictionless transacting, brain wallets, black markets, instant electronic settlement etc.

Forbes editorial policy has been to cover nothing but regulatory hurdles and black markets since Jon left their roster. There have been several technical developments, the sort of topics Jon used to cover, both before and since that have received zero coverage in Forbes.

These are real achievements in the development of financial tools, and Forbes have been whisper silent. Why?

Vires in numeris
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 03:48:38 AM

No, wrong.

Some of the most negative press has come out of Forbes of late. Jon Matonis era seems like a long time ago, don't think he's written for Forbes in 6 months.

Jon used to cover the innovative aspects of Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies, things you can do with Bitcoin that are brand new concepts to money system, such as frictionless transacting, brain wallets, black markets, instant electronic settlement etc.

Forbes editorial policy has been to cover nothing but regulatory hurdles and black markets since Jon left their roster. There have been several technical developments, the sort of topics Jon used to cover, both before and since that have received zero coverage in Forbes.

These are real achievements in the development of financial tools, and Forbes have been whisper silent. Why?

Wow! I thought he was still there. It looks like it's been four months now.
applelover (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:33:32 AM

No, wrong.

Carlton, what mainstream media gives bitcoins better coverage?
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 04:36:23 AM

I've seen the most consistent, intelligible, non-negative press on bitcoins from Forbes.com.  Why is that?

They realize that digital currencies are the future. I suspect we'll see some altcoin articles in the coming months!
Rupture

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:32:25 AM

Forbes prefers bankers.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 07:30:45 AM

Kasmir Hill who works for Forbes and writes many articles about Bitcoin is someone who is very informed on many matters of Internet privacy and does her due diligence with her Bitcoin research knowing where to go to get information as close to the source as possible. She also lived on Bitcoin for a week so she has a good understanding of how it works.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:24:54 AM

They are about the same as the rest of big media

They will be wary of over-committing to btc or any other new paradigm

But some of the matoniis articles have been refreshing and enjoyable

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:53:17 PM

No, wrong.

Carlton, what mainstream media gives bitcoins better coverage?

I think you're trying to say that we should be pleased with the quantity of Forbes articles on Bitcoin, and not their quality?

Vires in numeris
applelover (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 05:00:53 PM

carlton, no, for instance i thought this recent article published in forbes was downright good

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/15/bitcoin-companies-and-entrepreneurs-cant-get-bank-accounts/

quality writing, various pieces of real world facts, no stupid opinions one way or the other about bitcoins
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:44:01 PM

carlton, no, for instance i thought this recent article published in forbes was downright good

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/15/bitcoin-companies-and-entrepreneurs-cant-get-bank-accounts/

quality writing, various pieces of real world facts, no stupid opinions one way or the other about bitcoins

She didn't even read the title or the name of the Bitcointalk thread she linked to. If she had, she would have noticed that the topic wasn't about the CoinValidation website at all, it was concerning an entirely separate proposal. That will only have confused anyone who followed it and read a few posts, until they too realised that they'd been given an inaccurate steer. It just seems lazy.

Journalists are judged by their abililty to purvey correct, unbiased information. With comments like this: "Bitcoin is a baby currency. When it grows up, it could do serious damage to the banking hegemony, but only if the banking industry is willing to nurse it to adulthood.", Hill only underscores her one-sided view, and only proves that her fundamental understanding of cryptocurrency is pretty superficial at best. The two halves of the second sentence directly contradict each other on multiple levels; the banking industry just isn't going to help with the growth of a system that in any way threatens the basis of it's business model.

She can write well, but she's frequently out of her depth writing about Bitcoin. Hell, she confessed herself to be out of her depth when trying to figure out how to buy BTC and use the system. She is learning more and more though, it's just a little insulting to the intelligence of readers of a publication aimed at high net-worth investors that someone should be blundering around trying to make sense of technological developments in finance then calling it journalism. And getting paid, no doubt handsomely, to do so.

Vires in numeris
Shallow

Activity: 938
Merit: 255

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:46:29 PM

That's funny, I'm always seeing articles about how it will never work

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
applelover (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 04:44:14 PM

Carlton I generally I agree with you.  I still maintain my position that RELATIVE to other coverage I've seen on bitcoins, such as from bloomberg, washingtonpost... forbes has been better.  I agree with you though, Forbes is shitty too.

I still did learn some news from the article I linked.  I didn't know banks were shutting down businesses having to do with bitcoins.  Or that the FBI was planning to sell their seized bitcoins.  in most articles i learn absolutely nothing.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:42:58 PM

Carlton I generally I agree with you.  I still maintain my position that RELATIVE to other coverage I've seen on bitcoins, such as from bloomberg, washingtonpost... forbes has been better.  I agree with you though, Forbes is shitty too.

I still did learn some news from the article I linked.  I didn't know banks were shutting down businesses having to do with bitcoins.  Or that the FBI was planning to sell their seized bitcoins.  in most articles i learn absolutely nothing.

It's true, Forbes are the best of a bad bunch.

It's a curious overall posture that the the press as a whole are ending up taking. The big-money-bags "I know Donald Trump, he once tipped me when I worked the desk at the Four Seasons" crowd that read Forbes are getting more information than anyone else. The people that read the print edition, those that either have or want to give the impression that they actually need high-rollers investment and lifestyle tips, didn't read a word from Jon Matonis. He was always a Forbes "blogger", never to be in print (although maybe the occasional article snuck in, not generally a Forbes reader myself).

Meanwhile, the rest of the press throughout the world have been either a little active, or very tight lipped.

Western press: very active overall
  • Financial Times - it's the new tulip bubble, it has problems with technical economic and regulatory stuff etc
  • Wall Street Journal - ditto the FT really, plus slightly more about money laundering and drugs
  • New York Times, Washington Post et al - price volatility, drugs, money laundering, firearms (unsubstantiated), people trafficking (unsubstantiated)
  • London Times, Daily Mail, Guardian - price volatility, drugs, money laundering, firearms (unsubstantiated), people trafficking (unsubstantiated)

Eastern press: barely a thing
  • CCTV - Economics in 1/2 hour on Bitcoin as a primer, explaining the technology
  • CCTV - carefully targeted TV piece to the local Chinese population
  • The Hindu - Mining specific piece, written by an executive from Indian mining company, no less
  • Indonesian-Daily-whose-name-I-forget - Canadian ATM coverage, with the expected basic overview
The Western press have taken their coverage, and the overall negativity towards it, more seriously than anyone, anywhere else. To contrast talking and action, the Chinese have been buying BTC, manufacturing ASICs and mining with them like nowhere else. Indications are that India may move the same way.

And right in the middle (in more ways than one), Russia have been stirring the pot like crazy, almost as much coverage as Forbes, and generally positive (call it cautious optimism).

Make of it all what you will.

Vires in numeris
applelover (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:51:58 PM

Why do you think the Indians have been to slow to get behind bitcoins? From what I read their currency sucks, and they have desperately been trying to buy gold, but cannot even do that.

Also, why do you think the coverage in China is bad? Bitcoins have had neutral coverage from state owned media, what else can you expect from them?

I hate western media so much.  Not only is it biased, but the reporting doesn't even have any quality behind it, these guys who write bitcoin articles, or articles on anything, don't even seem to call a single person to get any real reporting done; they just copy paste some articles they find on google and change a few words.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 07:50:25 PM

With Indian uptake, it seems that a combination of lower prevalence of internet (and presumably the infrastructure to support that), less stable and prevalent electricity supply, and also the culture of buying and understanding the money value of gold (although as you say, that's been getting penalised by the Indian government recently).

With China, I wouldn't characterise it as "bad" coverage as such, just very thin coverage. And that's maybe to be expected. If the Chinese press had been going crazy for Bitcoin, I don't think the Chinese state, who make no secret of the extent that they control the press, could dodge the bullet of the Western press saying "Chinese plot crypto-socio-fascist currency to take over World by stealth!". That might be a bit of an exaggeration of what the Western press would come out with, but I think some moderate version of this principle is what informed the Chinese game plan. With big booms/marketing pushes happening in South America, Europe, Russia Canada and the US, all taking place before the Chinese media moved to support, they can kind of make out they turned up half way through the party. But the Chinese have arguably the most to gain from Bitcoin's success, so they played a the best hand they could IMO.

Think of the poor Japanese: the "Satoshi Nakamoto" thing, along with the Mt Gox thing, really put them in the crosshairs. No wonder the Japanese have literally only just knocked on the door, saying "I heard all this noise, you guys never even told me you were having a party?!!" And to be fair, they're in the top 5 of the countries with most to gain from a big Bitcoin.

Vires in numeris
Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:08:11 AM

They all realise bitcoin is something that has potential!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: