Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 10:31:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: redlisting and ransoms  (Read 535 times)
wannasurf (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:42:02 AM

You fellow newbies following the heated discussion in the other forums where the old timers are getting all heated about even the remote possibility of
adding support for redlisting suspected addresses used for criminal activity?

Coming in late to BTC just a few weeks ago, I'm more pragmatic about that kind of stuff, working with government to establish clear rules etc. I just want to make money and don't fear the prospect of paying taxes. BTC may make it easier to demand/pay randoms of all kinds in the future, not just crypolocker, so I would welcome some blockchain analysis/marking/whatever that might prevent me or my loved ones from being a victim in later years. I do understand the objections about how hard it is to do without tainting everybody (the "most US bills have cocaine on them" reference and so forth)

Am I correct guessing newcomers are less fired up in general than the old timers about anonymity and privacy, and more interested in just making a buck... or is it just me?
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 04:05:24 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2013, 04:19:42 AM by MicroGuy

You fellow newbies following the heated discussion in the other forums where the old timers are getting all heated about even the remote possibility of
adding support for redlisting suspected addresses used for criminal activity?

Coming in late to BTC just a few weeks ago, I'm more pragmatic about that kind of stuff, working with government to establish clear rules etc. I just want to make money and don't fear the prospect of paying taxes. BTC may make it easier to demand/pay randoms of all kinds in the future, not just crypolocker, so I would welcome some blockchain analysis/marking/whatever that might prevent me or my loved ones from being a victim in later years. I do understand the objections about how hard it is to do without tainting everybody (the "most US bills have cocaine on them" reference and so forth)

Am I correct guessing newcomers are less fired up in general than the old timers about anonymity and privacy, and more interested in just making a buck... or is it just me?

The bulk of the people that made money in Bitcoin bought in before 2011 when you get bitcoins for loose change. Now that Bitcoin is in a bubble and with redlists right around the corner, the altcoins are going to surge (and in a big way).

Markets always adjust, competition always arrives, it's the nature of the economics. Bitcoin is just making it a little easier by shooting itself in the foot. But it will happen either way.
Mentaso

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

Bitcoin News-Reviews

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 04:14:08 AM

How do you support that alt coins is going to surge? Gut instinct or a basis on fact?
Are you simply basing this on the techs using virtcurr?

Did you factor in the average user who will become the bulk of the users over time? I highly doubt so.

MicroGuy
Legendary

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 04:24:39 AM

How do you support that alt coins is going to surge? Gut instinct or a basis on fact?
Are you simply basing this on the techs using virtcurr?

Did you factor in the average user who will become the bulk of the users over time? I highly doubt so.

The only thing that has to be factored in is an understanding of human history. Not only is competition inevitable, it's here and now.  Cheesy
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:25:42 AM

How do you support that alt coins is going to surge?

He owns a lot and therefore wants it to happen.  Nothing more.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 04:30:16 AM

Ok. You're right. All praise the mighty Bitcoin the only cryptocurrency in the land for ever and ever!! LOL  Tongue
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3274

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:33:57 AM

... I just want to make money ... more interested in just making a buck... or is it just me?

You seem like a very greedy person, and you don't care about anyone else as long as you can get some money out of it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
kju

Activity: 20

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:45:11 AM

... I just want to make money ... more interested in just making a buck... or is it just me?

You seem like a very greedy person, and you don't care about anyone else as long as you can get some money out of it.

Well, isn't this the basic rule of the game? For everyone who makes a win must be someone who makes a loss. He might be greedy, but so are all the other people playing the game. And of course nobody is forced to play.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 05:00:44 AM

Well, isn't this the basic rule of the game? For everyone who makes a win must be someone who makes a loss. He might be greedy, but so are all the other people playing the game. And of course nobody is forced to play.

Well not it isn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advantage
Mentaso

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

Bitcoin News-Reviews

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 05:51:50 AM

Ok. You're right. All praise the mighty Bitcoin the only cryptocurrency in the land for ever and ever!! LOL  Tongue

Great to see you finally saw the light   Wink

wannasurf (OP)

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:49:49 AM

Yeah... um, I don't think anyone buying in at $400 is doing it for a greater cause.

I think your "don't care about anyone else" is too strong though, I don't know what gave you that impression. Addressing criminal intent with some sort of bitcoin mods would be of general benefit to people, I believe.
ritherz

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:58:54 AM

This thread is quickly turning into
http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1372/40/1372402467894.jpg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: