Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:36:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why treat bitcoin as money and not code/software?  (Read 1430 times)
Sovereign_Curtis (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:59:25 AM

I figure this is probably a great place to ask this question.

So I'm in the shower this morning, and it hits me: Bitcoin is just ones and zeroes. Sure it has lots of the features and benefits traditional currency can provide (and a whole lot more), but it's just code, right? So how come (besides the fact government just loves to steal) bitcoin is being treated like it's money and not software? Having someone sign an End User License Agreement would be a hell of a lot simpler than having to gather tons of information on them.

Then maybe I wouldn't have to drive to Canada to see a Robocoin kiosk in action.

(Yes I'm in NH, yes I know the Lamassu guys, but I still haven't seen one of their machines)
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:59:54 PM

So I'm in the shower this morning, and it hits me: Bitcoin is just ones and zeroes. Sure it has lots of the features and benefits traditional currency can provide (and a whole lot more), but it's just code, right? So how come (besides the fact government just loves to steal) bitcoin is being treated like it's money and not software? Having someone sign an End User License Agreement would be a hell of a lot simpler than having to gather tons of information on them.

Then maybe I wouldn't have to drive to Canada to see a Robocoin kiosk in action.

(Yes I'm in NH, yes I know the Lamassu guys, but I still haven't seen one of their machines)

Bank accounts are just 1s and 0s as well.  If bitcoin was treated as software, then bank accounts would have to be treated as software too.
Sovereign_Curtis (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:13:25 PM

Bank accounts are just 1s and 0s as well.  If bitcoin was treated as software, then bank accounts would have to be treated as software too.

The comparison is not bitcoin and bank accounts, its bitcoin and the USD.

Bank accounts are just a bank's way of accounting and displaying transaction information, etc.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:50:01 PM

Bank accounts are just a bank's way of accounting and displaying transaction information, etc.

USD are just some pieces of paper with ink on it.
Money is defined by the way you use it, not by the stuff it's made of.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 03:13:23 PM

We as individuals can treat bitcoin as software, code, anything we please.

But what really counts is the consensus view. For example, gold is not good for much other than filling teeth or making jewelry yet it's one of the most sought after materials in the world. Why not just treat gold like an ordinary mineral?

I like this explanation.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:33:17 PM

The point is that "money" that you have in a bank is just 0s and 1s in a computer database maintained by software, "bitcoins" is just 0s and 1s in a computer database maintained by software.  To say that "bitcoins" is software because it is "just 0s and 1s" is to say that the transfer of value can't be represented as a transaction entry in a computer based transaction ledger.

And bitcoins are just the bitcoin protocol's way of accounting and displaying transaction information, etc.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:42:24 PM

Bitcoin is actualy three things combined into one:

1. Coins
2. Protocol
3. Payment network

Except that there isn't any such thing as a "coin" in bitcoins.  Only transactions on a payment network that transfer control of value by way of a mutually accepted protocol.

Correct use of terms would be, for example, "I have received some bitcoins over Bitcoin" for the case when you received bitcoins using direct access to
payment network (Bitcoin-Qt or MultiBit software)

Or if you want to be technically correct:

"I have discovered an accounting ledger entry in the publicly shared ledger database known as 'the blockchain' which encumbers value with a requirement to provide a digital signature from a private key that I happen to have access to before I can re-encumber any of that value with a similar requirement."

or "I have received some bitcoins over BTC-e exchange" for the case when you received bitcoins without accessing payment network (transfer of coins happened within BTC-e exchange domain, BTC-e user to BTC-e user).

Or perhaps:

"My account over at the BTC-e exchange has been credited with a promise from BTC-e to transfer some value upon a request from me."

Commonly used term for later case is offchain transaction.

True, that is a "commonly used term".  I prefer to think of it as an uninsured, unregulated, un-audited "bank account" with a small foreign company.
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:00:01 PM

+1
OP, have you seen the new 100 dollar bills?  They look like monopoly money.  Roll Eyes  But yes, life would be simpler without the governement breathing down our necks, but redefining bitcoin as software won't change that.

Sovereign_Curtis (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:02:23 PM

+1
OP, have you seen the new 100 dollar bills?  They look like monopoly money.  Roll Eyes  But yes, life would be simpler without the governement breathing down our necks, but redefining bitcoin as software won't change that.

I agree that that ship has sailed. There were so many people who were thrilled when the government said bitcoin is money, either forgetting or ignorant of the fact that the US government does not tolerate competing currencies that have a farts chance of threatening the dollar.
JP Warschild

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:58:15 PM

Federal Reserve has expressed some interest in it's member banks creating crypto currencies.  

http://www.chicagofed.org/digital_assets/publications/chicago_fed_letter/2013/cfldecember2013_317.pdf

It's more likely they go the co-opt route than try to ban btc outright.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:10:35 PM

+1, bitcoin is just a software, nothing more.

All this regulation bullshit is just that, bullshit, why should we need license to install a software?

mindfulmojo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:27:57 PM

Online banking is NOT just showing your how much you have in your account...  Roll Eyes

I'm not going to go into great detail here, but look up fractional reserve banking...

Basically, every time a bank makes a loan, they create money out of thin air! Crazy!

Even crazier when you think how much the federal reserve is "printing"....
JP Warschild

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:31:12 PM

Moneymasters covers history of money and what it is.  Watch it on Youtube.
Sovereign_Curtis (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:38:56 PM

Moneymasters covers history of money and what it is.  Watch it on Youtube.

I've seen it. He does a great job reviewing the history, then goes on to say the answer is to cut out the Federal Reserve and allow the Treasury to inflate the money supply, instead...
PinkPotatos

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Girls dont crypto?

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 08:50:28 PM

Bitcoin is just a decentralized public ledger that records transactions to and from address's. Those transactions could represent anything, and in this case, currency. But imagine. It could be votes.

Accepted by, more merchants! - Franko 弗兰克币 - 自由的货币
Earn FRK with your sig
Sovereign_Curtis (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:04:37 PM

Bitcoin is just a decentralized public ledger that records transactions to and from address's. Those transactions could represent anything, and in this case, currency. But imagine. It could be votes.

Or exchanges of ownership of code? That's what I'm saying. It's just information/data. Sure information/data has value, just like anything else, and in this case it's features and benefits make it great for trading basic units of value, but it's still just ones and zeroes.
cdtc

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Both bitcoin and dollar are created out of thin air, so basically its all about what people trust more.

BetFury                                                     
🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹
                                                    Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                   
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:14:31 PM

Both bitcoin and dollar are created out of thin air, so basically its all about what people trust more.
But bitcoin can't be created at will

cdtc

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:18:43 PM

But bitcoin can't be created at will
Yes it cant, but still it holds no real value its all about accepting and trusting.

BetFury                                                     
🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹
                                                    Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                   
7queue

Activity: 177

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:48:41 PM

What is Money? What we mostly have is Debt, that is why bitcoin is increasing in value, it is not Debt! bitcoin is stable, the fiat currencies are not and that is why bitcoins value fluctuates (alright there is more to it)

Go to your local library (if you still have one) and go to the Law section and grab a Blacks Law Dictionary and look up Money, heck look up a lot of words you thought you knew!

Now then, just what does professor farnsworth think the future of bitcoin really is? Is it going to usurp our current method of labour trade for real Freedom?

As another poster stated bitcoin is not just money, it is so much more!

8 )

8 )
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: