Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:19:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best blockchain for cheap public data records - Need advice  (Read 189 times)
devonneburger7 (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 03:17:29 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2018, 02:39:49 PM by devonneburger7

I was not sure if this is the correct section for this thread but it seems to fit since this is more of a technical discussion.

We have the need to keep a record of data attributes as proof of an event that something had a specific value at a certain period in time. Its not a monetary transaction but more a proof. We think blockchain is the perfect way to make this proof immutable but we have some trouble deciding on which blockchain to use.

Some additional info and requirements:
- Needs to be able to keep a record of data attributes that can not be modified after a specific date in time.
- The chain needs to have explorer where we can link to record as proof.
- Needs to be cheap Smiley
- It can be a private chain but as long as we are not the only node in control of it.
- The frequency of updates does not matter since its only a proof for future reference.
- Estimated record size from my current contract is 128 bytes.

We have considered the following but would like to get expert opinions before we make a final decision:

1) Ethereum
 - At the moment this has everything we need but the GAS is too expensive.
2) Ethereum Classic
 - The GAS price is more affordable but I can't find any public blockchain explorers for making these records transparent.
3) Private chain
 - We feel that going this route would defeat the purpose of surety since it won't be decentralized and not really immutable.
4) Raiden Network
 - Affordable and support for high volumes but the network still seems to be a work in progress.
5) Loom Network
 - Looks promising but can't find any reference to transaction fees anywhere.
6) Ethereum - Rinkeby Testnet
 - This consideration might sound like it was made without a few marbles but first hear me out. We only need a public record that something happened and this supports all the required goodies from the Mainnet like Etherscan record transparency, smart contracts and on top it would be completely free. I'm just not sure if this network would ever be reset or will eventually be discontinued.

We have considered some other blockchains but they either turned out to be a work in progress or too expensive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pebwindkraft

Activity: 257
Merit: 343

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 02:04:59 PM

Bump
Maybe no reply cause some things are missing, like frequency of updates, amount (size) of data set, Numbers of nodes, private or public blockchain...

A first shot: we see that fees and mining costs on bitcoin network can play a vital role. So you may put the public data into relation. Is the public data worth the expected costs of a bitcoin like blockchain? At the end bitcoin was done with monetary values in mind, not for public data...
The same holds true for Ethereum - where there the point is, do you really need the blocks created every minute?
Then there is FACTOM, a blockchain designed to do this proof of publishing. There are certainly others ...
Last recently there were promising things to hear from a system built on Erlang, called Aeternity. I am not quite sure, if this is a me too project, or really bringing new things - they are aiming for high throuput with smart contracts.
I guess the litecoin/Monero “thingies“ are out of scope.
And then there is the dag type of systems, which looks interesting. The costs would need to proof, that they are below established blockchain systems though. But there is IOTA, the Angle, DagCoin, ...
devonneburger7 (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 02:59:10 PM

Bump
Maybe no reply cause some things are missing, like frequency of updates, amount (size) of data set, Numbers of nodes, private or public blockchain...

A first shot: we see that fees and mining costs on bitcoin network can play a vital role. So you may put the public data into relation. Is the public data worth the expected costs of a bitcoin like blockchain? At the end bitcoin was done with monetary values in mind, not for public data...
The same holds true for Ethereum - where there the point is, do you really need the blocks created every minute?
Then there is FACTOM, a blockchain designed to do this proof of publishing. There are certainly others ...
Last recently there were promising things to hear from a system built on Erlang, called Aeternity. I am not quite sure, if this is a me too project, or really bringing new things - they are aiming for high throuput with smart contracts.
I guess the litecoin/Monero “thingies“ are out of scope.
And then there is the dag type of systems, which looks interesting. The costs would need to proof, that they are below established blockchain systems though. But there is IOTA, the Angle, DagCoin, ...

Thanks, FACTOM looks exactly like what we need.
Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 03:39:04 PM

I'm not sure use Cryptocurrencies's Blockchain for storing data is good idea since it would be expensive no matter which cryptocurrency you use.

You what !!!

Block-chain is much more suited to keeping public records out in the open than being used as a currency any day of the week
and centralized chains can provide a fantastic amount of speed at the head of the chain which could then be replicated with time
lag to ensure "Yes" votes don't get turned to "No" votes hours later.

The data structure stores anything and you could even use SHAL that point to documents (Database blobs in other words)

Sorry but I cannot agree with you here.

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 08:49:19 PM

Storing data on a Blockchain like Bitcoin can be done in theory. However, Bitcoin's current activation limit allows 1MB of data to be stored every 10 minutes. Even if you remove that limit, the last node will stop maintaining a copy of Blockchain due to its size, resulting in a centralized and easy-to-break network. Of course, the problem of scalability did not prevent developers from trying to use Blockchain as a storage solution and a project called Archain might have found a solution.

For documents you would store the hash of the document in the block-chain and you should not jump to the conclusion that a trusted party
(Government agency) is not writing the blocks but these blocks are then replicated by 3rd parties to ensure accountability of government held documents.

That's a mirage made in heaven.

it will be archived on blockweave with fees that the user has to pay for the miner finding that volume.

All sounded good until we got to the part of fees !

Democracy at a price, privacy at a price, freedom of speech at a price, it has no price and the people to trust are the ones
that will do it for free, block-chain or no block-chain.

Donations I am happy with, must be 100% optional but apart from that we are not so far apart.

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: