Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:32:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Had a talk with my son today about my bitcoins  (Read 410 times)
airdnasxela

Activity: 728
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 03:23:48 AM

I sat my 7yr old son down and showed him my ledger nano and how to use it in case anything ever happens to me.
I explained there is electronic money on it and it will be his one day. Went through the process of wiping it and restoring with the seed. But reminded him never ever tell anyone about it is our secret.

He's a smart kid and was amazed at how it's secured by an extremely complex code and that no one can steal the money you can take it anywhere and it's safer than a bank because the ledger is a bank itself (i know that's not quite correct but still). I didn't tell him how much are on there but told him one day it will be extremely valuable that's why I'm telling him about it is for him when he grows up.

Later that day we talked about how to secure the seed and printing it on a metal plate. He thinks it is so cool.

It amazed me how a child instantly understood it and showed how cryptos are for the future generations not us. We are early adopters so buy at least 1 bitcoin for your kids. Just might set them up for life.
This is a good idea considering that they are the potential future users of digital currencies. What I only can say that you need to be careful in sharing him your keys because he might pressured by his friends or older peers and he might give it to them.  Educate him the best way you can so that he will be also a responsible and a successful user of bitcoin in the future.  Good luck!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Craigne

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 03:26:04 AM

I sat my 7yr old son down and showed him my ledger nano and how to use it in case anything ever happens to me.
I explained there is electronic money on it and it will be his one day. Went through the process of wiping it and restoring with the seed. But reminded him never ever tell anyone about it is our secret.

He's a smart kid and was amazed at how it's secured by an extremely complex code and that no one can steal the money you can take it anywhere and it's safer than a bank because the ledger is a bank itself (i know that's not quite correct but still). I didn't tell him how much are on there but told him one day it will be extremely valuable that's why I'm telling him about it is for him when he grows up.

Later that day we talked about how to secure the seed and printing it on a metal plate. He thinks it is so cool.

It amazed me how a child instantly understood it and showed how cryptos are for the future generations not us. We are early adopters so buy at least 1 bitcoin for your kids. Just might set them up for life.
It is good to share them your knowledge so that they can adapt to these modern advancements easily and smoothly but be careful on sharing him your knowledge and some of your keys.  He might use it for certain purposes that you didn't know.  Educate him the best way you can.  Hoping he will be also successful in this field.
Saveralll

Activity: 365
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 06:49:30 AM

You have to slowly let your child understand the digital cryptocurrency!

Once it was hard for him to remember things that looked complicated!

Buy a BTC for your children and save it, and when they get married they can give them a wedding gift. It must be great!
it's complicated that will make your child more curious and want to solve it. in fact my son who is now 16 years old can already buy his own car. I always taught him that complicated complex first so he would think hard and do not easily give up if given a heavy work. everyone has different ways to teach his child about bitcoin.
WorldBiz project

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 06:53:32 AM

it would be a cool idea to introduce the small course in web-commerce and crypto in schools
teerapz

Activity: 59

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 06:59:15 AM

you are a lovely dad
that great to teach your son coz blockchain technology will change the world and i thing it is 6th era

civilization
industrialization
computer
internet
knowledge base
block chain
samputin

Activity: 1036
Merit: 294

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 07:06:21 AM

Wow. It's amazing that at a young age, your son is able to understand such thing about money especially cryptocurrency. I hope that when he gets older, he would be able to remember that and follow the instructions you have told him. Actually, there are other opinions from this thread that has also a point like, kids often get into trouble through peer pressure. I hope that won't happen to your child. But as you have mentioned, he is a smart kiddo so I think he wouldn't do anything regarding what you taught him that would disappoint you. And you're right. Bitcoin might set them up for life.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
1xBit.com
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████     
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████   
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
!
PsylockReborn

Activity: 420
Merit: 24

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 07:08:26 AM

It would be a very good move educating your child about cryptocurrency but I don't think that its a very smart move telling your child about your private keys since as we all know 7 years old is not that mature enough to understand how important private keys are. It depends on every child though but most of them are not really good in keeping secrets since most of the children are always telling the truth and they can be persuaded by adults to disclose your private keys buy giving them something that they really want and that interests them like things, toys, food or anything that they are fond of. Atleast tell them when they are already in their teens or atleast 18 years old or just disclose your private keys to your wife or another member of the family that you trust the most.

zolfa

Activity: 518
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 07:39:07 AM

teaching bitcoin to a child is a good thing, but I prefer to tell bitcoin in story form.

or sometimes I introduce bitcoin to my child by creating a bitcoin character. all of which tell more specific about bitcoin and crypto world.
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2018, 07:59:33 AM

It's a great thing that you are discussing it with your kid and I am sure with these efforts, he will feel much confident and familiar in the coming decades as we are heading towards decentralized era.

seed and printing it on a metal plate.

However, I would advice you thinking again in this regard because it is not recommended to make even a single digital copy of seed key. You never know which program might pull it from your computer. Precaution is better than cure, don't you think so?
Virtual miner

Activity: 728
Merit: 275

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 07:59:47 AM

That is so cool!! Every time I come across youth, I get inspired by their young vibes and energetic behaviors. It's so good to see them bubbling with lively thoughts and budding with fresh n innovative ideas. I love to interact with them and share their point of views. It adds to my level of knowledge.

Your 7 year kid is too cool man!! It is good to hear something of this sort that how our youth is going to carry the legacy we will leave behind for them. Whatever we do today is going to be a bequest for thee coming generations. So let us leave something innovative for them to do wonders in the coming time.
Dark_raven007

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2018, 12:48:40 PM

7 years is early. At 15, the blood will boil. And it is not known where to delay. I would say that there is money, but I have not told all the secrets yet. And, if you are not sure about your future, you would leave somewhere a hint about it (in your favorite place). In general, it's up to you. But of course, we must think about the future. not only live one day.
mylyn2327

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 01:01:47 PM

It's a good idea that you explained about cryptos to your son at his early age. If I will have my own child someday, I will love to do it also. I will explain bitcoin to him/her little by little and if my child reach the right age and can fully understand then I think that's the time to share the real secret (private keys).
       Keep what you're doing make bitcoin as one of your fruitful conversation with your son.
azhariejaya

Activity: 546
Merit: 112

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 01:16:18 PM

as a parent that knows bitcoin is a good choice to introduce about bitcoin/cryptocurrency early to children, but not only about how to get profit, we should teach our children about features of cryptocurrency as a technology of the future as well as the risks behind the cryptocurrency investment.
sazon84

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 01:22:18 PM

My son is 4 years old.  While I did not tell him about Bitcoin and Crypto-currency.  But I think that at the age of 7 years, a child can understand much already.  I hope that in a few years the study of blockchain will be introduced into the school curriculum.  If not, then in the world there will be many developmental activities for children on this topic.

ETERBASE             Europe's Premier             ETERBASE
——————  Digital Asset Exchange  ——————
  Whitepaper    Telegram Twitter Discord      Announce 
CASTIEL05

Activity: 560
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 01:39:06 PM

We can't deny that children in today's generation are fully updated and technological oriented. They can easily adapt what we will teach to them using internet amd gadgets. There are children that are mentally wise than their own parents and you are lucky because you have a son that has a curiosity about cryptocurrency. For a 7 year old kid, playing games are their priorities but look at your child, he has a big question mark about the trend. It means that your child is a future millionaire.

Roukawa

Activity: 546
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 01:45:42 PM

It is good to see how a little child is interesting about nano ledger. It seems like he was curious about cryptocurrency and it is a good choice that you let him to know about this stuff. As a parent, we should let our childrens to be aware about this, we must teach on how to use cryptocurrency in order for them not to become an ignorant someday. But we need to control them, we must control our facts and lesson for them in crypto because they should learn it in gradual process. Everything takes time and we must wait till there's an opportunity to say it to them.

Kittygalore

Activity: 868
Merit: 63

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 01:50:16 PM

I think they should be really get involved and get curious about these things because this will enable them to think deeper in life. It is like making them responsible for they will have a little job as we say. And also it is not bad buying them bitcoin because bitcoin has its price growing in a long span of time, maybe when he is a grown man he remembers it and bitcoin's price is far beyond its price right now right. It can help them in countless of ways.
JerryJam

Activity: 238
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 02:10:10 PM

It's right that you teach your children the right attitude to money.Modern children very quickly learn new information They are always interested in everything new. I think that in 7 years the child will not understand what bitcoin or blockchain is.When he grows up, maybe he'll be interested. And maybe Vice versa.

TRADE, EARN & OWN THE EXCHANGE           M o o n X           [    ●    JOIN ICO   -   S O O N    ●    ]
──────────     WHITEPAPER     FACEBOOK     TWITTER     LINKEDIN     TELEGRAM     CRUNCHBASE     ──────────
►   No Trading or ICO Listing Fees      ►   Superior to Nasdaq & LSE       ►   US$ 29M Raised in 2 Weeks!
Moiyah

Activity: 630
Merit: 20

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 02:41:46 PM

Although the child is very intelligent and has understood everything perfectly, I think it would be a good idea to write the instructions on paper and keep this paper in a safe place.

Or you can place it in a volt in a secret place where you two only knew where it is. Your son was indeed an easy and fast learner. Though, you have to keep in mind that there are still consequences later on for telling him about it since curiosity took him in.

I believe strong foundation and knowledge about cryptocurrencies will start the future of our children. Instilling it with their mind at an early age will surely contributes to this kind of technology offered by crypto. Your advice hooked me up. I shall buy at least 1 or 2 bitcoin for my child and let it store until she grows up. We may not know how much it will cost in the next years.
Bitcoin.Expert

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 05:40:24 PM

I told my son about Bitcoin –a crypto currency that has changed the face of banking. Actually he knows a little bit about bitcoin by playing a game based on it. I also told him that bitcoin has evolved as a great investment opportunity for people.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: