Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 08:31:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safe for wallet  (Read 120 times)
lovebts (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 04:01:07 PM

I'm a law student.
Here's the thing. You can constructively leave a password, or a key to a safe containing a password, completely legally as a method of constructively giving access to money to someone else. It should be clear what the value of that asset is, though. Currently, legally, bitcoin is classified as mostly a security commodity, and should be treated as such.

By not leaving the wealth in a will, the property that results will likely go into probate, and other relatives could very well start arguing about who it belongs to. That's always bad news. You never know who in the family is greedy, or just thinks they're entitled to some property. Death does weird things to people.

The best option, in my opinion, is to form a trust with the bitcoin. With a trust, you appoint a trustee to manage the trust, and a beneficiary to profit from it. You submit a document detailing how you would like to manage the trust. By law in literally every US jurisdiction, that trustee can change the structure of the trust based on the circumstances surrounding the management of that trust.

As such, in the event that bitcoin is for whatever reason going to shit, or if there's something else less risky and more profitable at some point, the trustee has the ability to change how the trust is structured.

This is, by far, the best option no matter what you're doing.

Edit: I should probably add that this isn't legal advice. I'm a second year law student, not an attorney. I have very little experience in trusts and estates outside of class and doing paralegal-type duties in firm specializing in wills, trusts, and estates.
datmacro

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 04:05:16 PM

hello a lawyer in the future
In my country, bitcoin and the like have not been legalized yet, and the development history of bitcoin is still too short so I do not think anyone could put bitcoin into a will or the like.
Thanks for your sharing
Ayyaz Mahmood

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 04:39:41 PM

In my country, bitcoin have not been legalized yet, and the development history of bitcoin is still too short so I do not think anyone could put bitcoin into a will or the like.
Thanks for your sharing
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 3782

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2018, 09:03:08 AM

In Bitcoin, all you need to get to your money is the private key and everyone who owns it can spend your money.
Signing a message using a private key is your own contract, you can sign a message on a particular day and mention the names of the people who deserve access to your key after you die.
You can also split your key and encrypt it into parts and give each part to one of your trust lists, no one will be able to access your money until they compiled and decrypted your key. in other words the trust list you have chosen.
If Bitcoin is legally in your country, signing a message in a particular style is sufficient proof of ownership.
Forhadm

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 03:37:07 AM

Without wallet Bitcoin forum account is lassnenn so it's important for forum. it can be safe,when you created an wallet account then you have a password if you want to safe your wallet do not give any one to your password and do not show it any bounty campaign form then you will save your wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: