Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:57:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Airdrop Hunters - Beware of scams + Security Tips  (Read 151 times)
btccrusher (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 07:44:20 PM

Beware of scams.
A legit Airdrop never asks for 'Private Key' or 'Fees' or 'Donations'. If you spot an airdrop asking for any of the things mentioned above, avoid it. There are plenty of good fishes in the sea, focus on catching them.

Security Tips:
1. Do not share private keys with anyone else.
2. Do not save passwords or private keys on an online drive. Not even in the encrypted mode.
3. Keep strong passwords with a combination of at least one UpperCase Alphabet+Lower Case Alphabet+Number+Symbol. Such strong combinations are almost impossible to crack.
4. Do not use common words as passwords.
5. It's better to use at least 15 characters as a password. (I'll go for 20)
6. Never delete an old wallet.
topchiiy86

Activity: 196
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 07:50:41 PM

I agree that most of airdrops are SCAMs now, so it's quite risky to participate in every airdrop. And even if you get some tokens it doesn't mean that you can sell them for a good price. I can recommend to participate only in those airdrops when ICOs cancel their main public sale and hold an airdrop instead.
hodl2018

Activity: 36

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

I'll follow rules. Thank you.
FrueGreads
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 08:05:38 PM

I actually think there are more problems involved with scam aidrops, than having your private key stolen. With this I mean, that even if someone understands that having to give your private key is of course a scam, they can still be caught with malware if they install a wallet to receive the airdrop, or by going to a malicious website, or even just by using a google spreadsheet because it's possible to get them run scripts and infect your computer. Airdrops are very dangerous in my opinion, and I just stopped using then completely, unless it's an official airdrop from an well known coin.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

Slugmonkey

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 08:07:44 PM

I am sure that these tips would come in handy to all the newbies out there. I was once browsing the bounty spreadsheet and found out that a user had given his private key as public key. I was shocked to see that people have absolutely no clue that these things are meant to be secure. So a lot of awareness is needed.
BTCeminjas

Activity: 322
Merit: 23

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 08:08:45 PM

I have also encountered that airdrop fills up form, they ask for a donation and the also ask email address and password but if I saw that form I usually refuse the site, when you first encountered just like shady fill-up form for airdrop.
The unmalicious kind of fill'en form never ask your password in an email address and that donation also just avoid them and that's what probably scam project.
Maestro75

Activity: 1960
Merit: 329

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 08:09:56 PM

Beware of scams.
A legit Airdrop never asks for 'Private Key' or 'Fees' or 'Donations'. If you spot an airdrop asking for any of the things mentioned above, avoid it. There are plenty of good fishes in the sea, focus on catching them.

Security Tips:
2. Do not save passwords or private keys on an online drive. Not even in the encrypted mode.
3. Keep strong passwords with a combination of at least one UpperCase Alphabet+Lower Case Alphabet+Number+Symbol. Such strong combinations are almost impossible to crack.
4. Do not use common words as passwords.
5. It's better to use at least 15 characters as a password. (I'll go for 20)
But what has No 6 got to do with airdrop warning?
Can anyone fall for this, 'A legit Airdrop never asks for 'Private Key' or 'Fees' or 'Donations'. If you spot an airdrop asking for any of the things mentioned above, avoid it' Only someone with a bread brain will respond to the demands above from a purported airdrop site.

B.I.O.K.R.I.P.T|
  BiokriptX Fair Launch is now live in PINKSALE
|🟣 Twitter
🔵 Facebook
🟣 Telegram
milewilda
Legendary

Activity: 3136
Merit: 1133

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 08:10:17 PM

With just having these two things you would really be somehow secured towards into your own wallet.Keeping it online is risky but would really be hard for hackers if its encrypted but the risk still remains and you might lose those online. Always have a back up.

Ebenezer559

Activity: 401
Merit: 10

Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 08:41:31 PM

Recently I have stopped hunting airdrops because they are not reliable, many instructions and one the other time even asked for my private key. Before then I have been told by my brothers not to give anyone my private key. Anyone who ask for private key is a scammer
GabrielKiara

Activity: 273
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 09:14:15 PM

Good advice, Never share a pivate key and be careful of web phishing. It is good to install etherAddressLookup and Ethersecuritylookup from myetherwallet admin team (You can google it), Both add ons prevent you from getting phishing. Good luck and be careful!
btccrusher (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2018, 09:08:26 AM

I actually think there are more problems involved with scam aidrops, than having your private key stolen. With this I mean, that even if someone understands that having to give your private key is of course a scam, they can still be caught with malware if they install a wallet to receive the airdrop, or by going to a malicious website, or even just by using a google spreadsheet because it's possible to get them run scripts and infect your computer. Airdrops are very dangerous in my opinion, and I just stopped using then completely, unless it's an official airdrop from an well known coin.

Thank you for pointing out that.
Yes, malware infected site, scripts, plugins, and software are big threats too. We should stay away from phishing sites and such new tools unless we trust the site.
Starxoff

Activity: 116
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 09:39:33 AM

I would like to advice not to share any personal information at all, cause a lot of airdrops try to collect data for sale.
suharshsehgal

Activity: 27

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 12:39:27 PM

Security Tips:

Didn't quite get this last point, for security purpose or someone who has an address might transfer some funds to it?
btccrusher (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2018, 09:28:01 PM

Security Tips:

Didn't quite get this last point, for security purpose or someone who has an address might transfer some funds to it?

That's a point, Mr. Satoshi suggested us, one should never delete a wallet. It's for backup and there may be more reasons technically, not sure right now.
edgycorner

Activity: 1064
Merit: 382

Hurrah for Karamazov!

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 09:32:51 PM

Pretty handy rules which can prevent petty thefts.Everyday you can see a new thread, where people tell how all of the tokens and ethers they owned got hacked.
Majority of hacks could have been prevented, if only they could follow these points.

OP, add another rule of using different password for your wallet and ICO's websites.ICOs are selling the username:password combination that gets registered to crackers as combos.Everyone should use a different and more secure password for wallets!
richminded

Activity: 798
Merit: 268

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 09:35:54 PM

I would like to advice not to share any personal information at all, cause a lot of airdrops try to collect data for sale.

Basically most of them do this thing so don't risk everything just to have a small amount of profit which is still not guaranteed in the future.I'd better to do participate in a bounty campaign than joining any airdrop that is asking for too much information. So be careful guys, and prevent yourself from being broke.
Noobaru

Activity: 504
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2018, 11:26:17 PM

Very nice tips. I agree with most of the aspects, especially with private key and password. You should never reveal or type in your private key under any circumstances. If you do, you can say goodbye to assets on the wallet. Also password - uppercase letters, alphanumeric (people use @ most of the time or # and &) numbers. And a word that is somehow stupid, maybe even a slang in your language. Those are almost impossible to crack (unless phished) and would take ages to brute force through.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■       SKYNET.co       ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Nwankwobtt

Activity: 487
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 11:40:30 PM

Thank you for the security tips. I am quite new to airdrop and bounties and I hope I won't be a victim to these online scammers. I have ordered for an offline wallet too

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: