Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:30:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: which coin should I mine on a low-end gpu?  (Read 3004 times)
awais3344 (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:16:09 AM

so I have a gpu that can mine --scrypt at 300khash/s. I looked at coins and I believe that I dont have much luck with litecoin. Should I be mining feathercoin or gldcoin, if I look at it as a longterm price growth benefit. Which one do you think would be good to mine at 300khash/s. I will be able to add another 300khash/s in next month. thank you Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
NEOSCOIN
  +POD Developers +Active Community - V2 Coming Soon! Live In-App Trading, Live Pool Stats - IRC - Arbitrush Anonymous System soon!! NEOSCOIN
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
selavy59

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:44:41 AM

You mean which one will turn you a profit? How can anyone know that. I suggest finding a coin that you are attracted to and mine it as a hobby, get a few coins and then try another alt coin. There are lots of alt coins most will die, some may survive. They may all die including bitcoin. Just have some fun with it but don't bet the bank.
SoNatural

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:49:36 AM

I suggest you take a look at SBC (Stablecoin), 25SBC/block and low difficulty. You'd obtain them quickly, and able to sell them at exchange (as Cryptsy for SBC) and buy them in for lower price again and so on and on...

Feathercoin (FTC) and Peercoin (PPC) are nice too though...
Thenen

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:02:19 AM

so I have a gpu that can mine --scrypt at 300khash/s. I looked at coins and I believe that I dont have much luck with litecoin. Should I be mining feathercoin or gldcoin, if I look at it as a longterm price growth benefit. Which one do you think would be good to mine at 300khash/s. I will be able to add another 300khash/s in next month. thank you Cheesy

http://www.coinchoose.com/index.php, as long as you are mining in a pool, everyone of them should get you almost the same profitability..
awais3344 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:18:02 PM

well, keeping in mind the difficulty of feathercoin, It'll be difficult to get 300ftc a month with 300khash/s right?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
NEOSCOIN
  +POD Developers +Active Community - V2 Coming Soon! Live In-App Trading, Live Pool Stats - IRC - Arbitrush Anonymous System soon!! NEOSCOIN
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DodoB

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:34:13 PM

300khas? i dont think you can mine anything with that. did you mean 300mhas?
awais3344 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:06:15 AM

I think you're mistaken. 300mhash is for bitcoin or other sha256 currencies. Not for scrypt e.g feathercoin, litecoin etc.

NEOSCOIN
voorash

Activity: 19

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:22:46 AM

I am using https://www.multipool.us

I was mining LTC until I discovered this pool earlier today.  It auto-switches to what should be the most profitable coin at that time.  So far so good although like I said I just started with it today so only time will tell for me.
Rupture

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:26:47 AM

Camp out on the altcoin board and wait for a new coin (shouldn't take long) then mine it and dump.
umaOuma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:33:52 AM

http://www.coinchoose.com/index.php, as long as you are mining in a pool, everyone of them should get you almost the same profitability..

It works as long as you immediatelly sell for BTC. But if you want keep alt coins, no one knows what would be best to mine
Sythyn

Activity: 1082
Merit: 505

A Digital Universe with Endless Possibilities.

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 12:45:40 PM

What about middlecoin.com? It automatically choose the most profitable coin and mine them....
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:40:12 PM

I think you're mistaken. 300mhash is for bitcoin or other sha256 currencies. Not for scrypt e.g feathercoin, litecoin etc.
Wait, I am new to this. Could you explain the dfference?

Forever strong.
awais3344 (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:24:33 AM

Wait, I am new to this. Could you explain the dfference?

well, i am a newbie too. But things that I have read has made me understand it this way: since bitcoin has a higher difficulty, network has faster speed of hashing, that's why a bitcoin sha-256 is read with the speed of mhash/s, 1mhash is equal to 1000khash/s. But all the other altcoins like feathercoin, litecoin, worldcoin, gldcoin etc are mined with khash/s speed. so let's say, a ati radeon 5870 mines bitcoin at 300mhash(which is a example, and not an actual speed), its mining speed for feathercoin, and litecoin will be different, you need to look online.

there are 2 wiki pages online.
1=bitcoin hardware comparison
2=scrypt hardware comparison, which will show you a litecoin hardware comparison, which can be used for any scrypt coin.
That's all I know.

NEOSCOIN
JL0z

Activity: 155

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 07:54:19 AM

awais3344,

If you are able to hash with a gpu on scrypt at 300kH/s - this is medium performance GPU much like a 5850 - I have one of these working at about 321kH/s.

Have a look at the network hash rate for the scrypt coins - choose one that has a low network hash rate, then you will probably join a pool to try mining for a coin.  It really doesn't matter which coin, but basically with mining, your electricity costs are likely to outweigh the mining returns.  Alternatively you can choose a new coin and get started at the early stages before a lot of people start mining.

If you are looking for a coin that you could solo mine - you could look at PeopleCoin - the only problem is selling them - they are not worth much, and are only listed on the BtcLtc exchange where you can sell them for Chinese Yuan - I did this for a while to get the fun of actually doing pool mining and solo mining.  The current network hash rate for PPL varies from 2MH/s to about 10MH/s.  Just an hour ago, the network hash rate was 2.5MH/s so my 7850 was doing about 314kH/s at intensity 12 while I am browsing the internet.  If you join a pool, don't forget that your proportional returns are lower, but you get more consistent returns.

Something you can also do, is to get additional cards if your motherboard supports them and increase your hashing rate.

Anyway, good luck.
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:27:15 AM

mine litecoin

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
bitdwarf

Activity: 406

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:39:55 AM

A properly set up 6850 gets 300 YACs a day (or at least it did before today's N-factor change).

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
awais3344 (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:18:28 AM

awais3344,

If you are able to hash with a gpu on scrypt at 300kH/s - this is medium performance GPU much like a 5850 - I have one of these working at about 321kH/s.

Have a look at the network hash rate for the scrypt coins - choose one that has a low network hash rate, then you will probably join a pool to try mining for a coin.  It really doesn't matter which coin, but basically with mining, your electricity costs are likely to outweigh the mining returns.  Alternatively you can choose a new coin and get started at the early stages before a lot of people start mining.

If you are looking for a coin that you could solo mine - you could look at PeopleCoin - the only problem is selling them - they are not worth much, and are only listed on the BtcLtc exchange where you can sell them for Chinese Yuan - I did this for a while to get the fun of actually doing pool mining and solo mining.  The current network hash rate for PPL varies from 2MH/s to about 10MH/s.  Just an hour ago, the network hash rate was 2.5MH/s so my 7850 was doing about 314kH/s at intensity 12 while I am browsing the internet.  If you join a pool, don't forget that your proportional returns are lower, but you get more consistent returns.

Something you can also do, is to get additional cards if your motherboard supports them and increase your hashing rate.

Anyway, good luck.

my electricity is more or less free. just like $20 a month, not much cost for me to run mining. I am buying another gpu as well. and a motherboard with 2 pci slots. but I cannot figure out how to run 2 gpus on one pc. lol. I will get about 600khash/s combined.
I was thinking about mining feathercoin or infinitecoin(which seems so pointless, even ifc's wallet won't sync anymore). Still cannot decide which one I should mine. too many different, and here everyone suggests a different coin!

NEOSCOIN
JL0z

Activity: 155

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:17:28 AM

my electricity is more or less free. just like $20 a month, not much cost for me to run mining. I am buying another gpu as well. and a motherboard with 2 pci slots. but I cannot figure out how to run 2 gpus on one pc. lol. I will get about 600khash/s combined.
I was thinking about mining feathercoin or infinitecoin(which seems so pointless, even ifc's wallet won't sync anymore). Still cannot decide which one I should mine. too many different, and here everyone suggests a different coin!

Ok - are you going to be using Windows or Linux for your mining computer?  I am running Linux on two machines - one with 3x 7950's, and one with a single 5850.  I am using this link for the configuration of Linux, also gives you a good idea of how it works also for Windows.  http://www.cryptobadger.com/2013/04/build-a-litecoin-mining-rig-linux/

Also http://com-http.us/ is good to have a look at the different coins - you can choose scrypt coins and find out about them.  You can also use CoinEX mining pools to get an idea of network hash rate https://coinex.pw/mining/pools

The idea is to try one - you don't need to download the wallet yet, just join a pool and try your hand at mining.  Once you find a coin that you can get consistent returns on, and where your hash rate is a reasonable percentage of the network hash rate, you can try your hand at solo mining which means you will need to install the wallet as this is where you point your mining rig to.  Most of the older coins now have a high hash rate that you can only get returns when pool mining.  FTC has a high hash rate already, and IFC is ok but getting higher.

I first started mining Anoncoin with coinpool 4 weeks ago - this was when the network hash rate was quite low, about 10MH/s, and when it was really good, I managed to get something like 5 ANC every 2-3 hours - this was only for a few days until suddenly the net hash rate went up - currently 150MH/s and returns now are around 1 coin a day, so went looking at other coins.
guugll

Activity: 190

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 11:20:59 AM

technicaly anything with diff below 1

noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:28:46 AM

Try coinchoose.com.