Bitcoin Forum
August 01, 2024, 05:13:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: fiatleak - many updates released!  (Read 1064 times)
andrewhodel (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:29:11 PM

http://fiatleak.com/

Perhaps it's been a week since you have seen fiatleak, I have made significant updates to the site over the past week which are described in detail here - https://github.com/andrewhodel/fiatleak/commits/master

Please share the site with your friends, show the US public before the upcoming senate hearing that Bitcoin is a worldwide phenomenon.
Meizirkki

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:37:45 PM

It just keeps "witing for first trade" here. What's going on?
andrewhodel (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:41:04 PM

It just keeps "witing for first trade" here. What's going on?

Open up the console, FF or Chrome, right click on page -> inspect element then select the console tab in the bottom window pane that comes up.

If you see errors, paste them.

If you see nothing, nothing is moving.  Right now I am seeing periods of 30+ seconds without trades, so if you closed the window that fast (which is a long time watching a circle spin round) you would have experienced that.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 1208

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 06:53:53 PM

Code:
Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_qdpivD0Dk6 is not defined (index):38
Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_3By1mr43_h is not defined (index):39
Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_G23Q6qimYm is not defined (index):42
event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead.

Chrome Version 33.0.1707.0 dev-m

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
andrewhodel (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:56:05 PM

Code:
Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_qdpivD0Dk6 is not defined (index):38
Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_3By1mr43_h is not defined (index):39
Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_G23Q6qimYm is not defined (index):42
event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead.

Chrome Version 33.0.1707.0 dev-m

Interesting, I just added mod_pagespeed to apache... but it is not causing this for me.

I have removed it for now, can you refresh and see if this still happens?
Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:58:05 PM

1) Why does it eat up so much CPU? It might as well be mining Bitcoin...

2) Why are the fiat values so high?

3) How do you take into account Bitcoins that are changing hands, i.e. I take $400 and buy a Bitcoin. Someone else then buys it off me for $410. $810 of fiat didn't 'leak'?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 1208

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 07:04:41 PM

Interesting, I just added mod_pagespeed to apache... but it is not causing this for me.

Now it works Smiley

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
andrewhodel (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:10:18 PM

3) How do you take into account Bitcoins that are changing hands, i.e. I take $400 and buy a Bitcoin. Someone else then buys it off me for $410. $810 of fiat didn't 'leak'?

1) you are welcome to critique or modify the code as it is open source

2&3) each trade coming from an exchange gives an amount total of Bitcoins purchased, the currency that it was purchased in and the price that it cost in that currency.  Fiatleak simply takes each trade and adds together the amount of Bitcoins purchased.  As all trades are positive, this number increases...

As one form of exchange increases others decline, the answer to the question you are raising depends on where you draw the line of distinction between currencies of trade.  I draw a strong line between fiat (those with banker chosen inflation) and bitcoin (mathematically enforced maximum resource limit) which is why the site presents the data in this way.

The fact of the matter is that all of Bitcoin's economic value at this point has been derived from a handful of engineers developing software and an even smaller number of engineers developing and selling hardware to a mining market that purchases a small bit of electricity.  This goes to show that value is not a function anything other than acceptance, and it is why it is clear that the acceptance of a new currency like Bitcoin is actually taking away from our current system of fiat money.

If you want to argue more about it, let's do it on a hangout.
Meizirkki

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:13:52 PM

Cool it works now. I thought it was a problem on my end because I was using chrome -- on ipad.
andrewhodel (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:21:51 PM

Now it works Smiley

Cool it works now. I thought it was a problem on my end because I was using chrome -- on ipad.

great! must have been something with mod_pagespeed not rewriting includes correctly.
Inedible

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:22:40 PM

1) you are welcome to critique or modify the code as it is open source

2&3) each trade coming from an exchange gives an amount total of Bitcoins purchased, the currency that it was purchased in and the price that it cost in that currency.  Fiatleak simply takes each trade and adds together the amount of Bitcoins purchased.  As all trades are positive, this number increases...

As one form of exchange increases others decline, the answer to the question you are raising depends on where you draw the line of distinction between currencies of trade.  I draw a strong line between fiat (those with banker chosen inflation) and bitcoin (mathematically enforced maximum resource limit) which is why the site presents the data in this way.

The fact of the matter is that all of Bitcoin's economic value at this point has been derived from a handful of engineers developing software and an even smaller number of engineers developing and selling hardware to a mining market that purchases a small bit of electricity.  This goes to show that value is not a function anything other than acceptance, and it is why it is clear that the acceptance of a new currency like Bitcoin is actually taking away from our current system of fiat money.

If you want to argue more about it, let's do it on a hangout.

1) was just me being silly (no offence intended)

2) is about how inaccurate the value appears to be (by an order of magnitude) (0.1 Bitcoin sold in China has a valuation of $400-ish)

3) is about how people could be misinformed by the information they're seeing

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
andrewhodel (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:37:59 PM

2) is about how inaccurate the value appears to be (by an order of magnitude) (0.1 Bitcoin sold in China has a valuation of $400-ish)

I see .1 Bitcoin sold in China holding a valuation currently of $276.2

That works out correctly for the current exchange rate of 1 BTC to $2762 Yuan.

Not everyone wants the dollar perspective, each currency is listed as their own.
Inedible

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:42:38 PM

Not everyone wants the dollar perspective, each currency is listed as their own.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here (partially because I think you're using Dollars instead of Yuan in part of your explanation).

Taking China as an example, it looks as if the USD value is too high by almost 3 times? I expect 1 Bitcoin to value at around US$400 and the CNY value to be a multiple larger than that. That's not currently the case.

It seems to work fine for US$ when a US trade goes down. Look at the Russian one - the US$ value is totally out.

andrewhodel (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:44:46 PM

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here (partially because I think you're using Dollars instead of Yuan in part of your explanation).

Taking China as an example, it looks as if the USD value is too high by almost 3 times? I expect 1 Bitcoin to value at around US$400 and the CNY value to be a multiple larger than that. That's not currently the case.

It seems to work fine for US$ when a US trade goes down. Look at the Russian one - the US$ value is totally out.

There is no US$ value for the Russian one, it is the value in their currency with a $ before it.

The dollar or peso sign ($) is a symbol primarily used to indicate the various peso and dollar units of currency around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_sign
Meizirkki

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:47:17 PM

I was confused about that too. There are no russian dollars or chinese dollars  Roll Eyes
andrewhodel (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:50:49 PM

I was confused about that too. There are no russian dollars or chinese dollars  Roll Eyes

At the very least, it gets people to question what it really is... a dollar.
Inedible

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:00:14 PM

There is no US$ value for the Russian one, it is the value in their currency with a $ before it.

The dollar or peso sign ($) is a symbol primarily used to indicate the various peso and dollar units of currency around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_sign

That explains it (although I don't get what you mean by the wiki link lol). Why not use the correct currency sign or, if anything, not use a currency symbol at all because the heading is the currency.

andrewhodel (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:15:10 PM

I removed the $.
Inedible

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 08:24:00 PM

I removed the $.

BTW, I'm not having a go - I just didn't understand and now I do.

I think what you've created is great (I said that in your other thread too).

devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:26:15 PM

Looks great so far, I'm looking forward to see the progress made on this  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: