Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:08:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what would an alt market independent from bitcoin look like?  (Read 220 times)
European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 11:40:15 AM

i've seen some talk of binance adding fiat pairs once they're settled in malta, though binance themselves seem to be denying it. you also have bittrex looking into dollars for corporate customers and i expect poloniex may do something with fiat when circle get their act together.

by that point there'll pretty much be no need to use bitcoin as a gateway to any other coin.

so would that make a fundamental change in how the markets interact or do you reckon they'll all still live and die together?
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 12:36:49 PM

if and only if people use these markets and actually trade altcoins with fiat instead of bitcoin then we may start seeing less volatility in bitcoin specially during mass altcoin dumps where people sell their altcoins for bitcoin then sell bitcoin for fiat and crash everything!

but i am doubtful because people trade altcoins mostly because they want some place where they can invest their bitcoins not their fiat. and the alt/fiat markets have not had as much demand.

so would that make a fundamental change in how the markets interact or do you reckon they'll all still live and die together?

any effect that it may or may not have will be only affecting part of the market not all of it so they will continue "to live and die together" like before.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
Xxxurrrad

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 12:45:46 PM

Perhaps it will have an effect in the future. This year, it will not have any strong impact on the dependence on bitcoin.

MyCryptoBank  ――  Legal and Reliable Crypto Bank
Whitepaper  ――  CRYPTOBANK FOR CRYPTOCOMMUNITY  ――  Announce
―― Medium ―― YouTube ―― LinkedIn ―― Telegram ―― Facebook ―― Twitter ――
henrybek3

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 12:53:43 PM

Crypto places the bitco in the leading position to become the most known of the money market. Although the spread of ethereum-based tokens poses a prospective risk for BTC, it is difficult to think of a crypto money market without Bitcoin in the current market conditions.
sonic22

Activity: 144
Merit: 19

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 01:02:58 PM

i've seen some talk of binance adding fiat pairs once they're settled in malta, though binance themselves seem to be denying it. you also have bittrex looking into dollars for corporate customers and i expect poloniex may do something with fiat when circle get their act together.

by that point there'll pretty much be no need to use bitcoin as a gateway to any other coin.

I think if that ever happens then BTC will for sure become less volatile. Miners would prefer to convert their daily proceeds straight to fiat, new altcoin investors will purchase alts of their for fiat, too. However, BTC will still remain an equivalent of gold in crypto  world.
JungleBadman

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 01:48:20 PM

Its an interesting concept and one that I would like to see happen. I think at the very least it would go some way to negate volatility and maybe a situation like what has happened this Jan/Feb/March would be less severe.
I still think BTC pairings will be most popular because many people hold and invest bitcoin and its easier to go from BTC>ALT than from BTC>FIAT>ALT with less fees also. FIAT/ALT pairing will only potentially effect new money entering the market and make it more fluid and simplified.
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 07:16:54 PM

but i am doubtful because people trade altcoins mostly because they want some place where they can invest their bitcoins not their fiat. and the alt/fiat markets have not had as much demand.

i'd love to know the proportion of traders who are in it to make bitcoin gains versus fiat gains. there must be a class of altcoiner at this point who've never touched bitcoin and have no plans to.

but as you say there's no such thing as a legit bitcoin interest option so playing with alts is the next option in many eyes to attempt to get a return.
CryptoAlphaStar

Activity: 574
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 07:30:40 PM

I think it is pretty much independent for a long time. I joined in September and I am entering/existing through Ether every time. Never touched Bitcoin, except the one I am holding.
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 07:34:59 PM

I think it is pretty much independent for a long time. I joined in September and I am entering/existing through Ether every time. Never touched Bitcoin, except the one I am holding.

it can of course be physically separate for individual traders, but we're talking about the market as a whole here. in no way does any coin do its own thing completely independent of others, or bitcoin. this is something that might start to change that.
Dread

Activity: 315
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 09:10:29 PM

at this moment Bitcoin it s a icon of cryptoidustry

take a look at market without this coin - that be a green market without trust history

⚪ Byteball     ❱❱❱     I T   J U S T   W O R K S .    ❱❱❱
Sending Crypto to Email  -  Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments  -  ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD          TELEGRAM          TWITTER          MEDIUM          SLACK          REDDIT
sorrysteve1

Activity: 294
Merit: 107

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 11:20:24 PM

I think that even if bitcoin isn't used as a channel for altcoins it will still greatly influence their prices and success. We are still too early in the adoption of cryptocurrencies to escape the fact that bitcoin and cryptocurrency are largely synonymous to the general public. Therefore when bitcoin tanks the other currencies tend to follow suit.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
langdong

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 11:43:56 PM

More volume, less volatility. New trading pairs added, Fiat pairs especially. "Alts" backed up by huge companies, VC, states maybe? Who knows.
So yeah, we will most likely see this scenario in a few years. I'm pretty confident in this. At least we will see the market being more independent from Bitcoin. And also Bitcoin's dominance will decrease over the years with all those new alts coming in the market.
Bitcoin is still number one and the one coin that started it all. But don't forget what happened to MySpace, Yahoo, Nokia etc.
entrepmind23

Activity: 644
Merit: 261

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 03:44:03 AM

There would be less volatility in bitcoin price because traders would have more choices then as base coin instead of just bitcoin, ethereum and tether. There would be more volume added to the crypto market because more people can easily buy a coin using fiat money without the need to buy bitcoin or ethereum first to trade it. I would be happy myself if it would happen because there are times when I need some fiat so not converting to bitcoin would give me more funds to convert to fiat. As bitcoin is making rapid movements, the altcoins wouldn't be that much affected anymore because it is independent of bitcoin.

░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
           ░▒█████████████████████▒░
         ▓███████████████████████████▓░
      ░███████████████▓░▒███████████████░
     ▓██████████▓▓▒░        ▒▒▓▓██████████
   ░███▓                               ▒███▒
  ░████               ▒▒▒               ████▒
 ░█████░           ░███████░            █████▒
 ██████░          ░██      ██▒          ██████
░██████░          ██       ██           ██████▒
▓██████           ██░ ░   ░██           ███████
▓██████         ████████████████        ███████
▓██████        █████████████████        ███████
░██████▒       ███████████████       ░██████▓
 ███████       █████████████████       ▓██████
 ░███████       ████████████████      ▓██████▒
  ▒███████▒       ░ ░     ░ ░       ░███████▒
   ░████████▒                     ▒████████▒
     ▓████████▓░               ░▓█████████
      ░██████████▓░          ▓██████████░
         ▓██████████▒     ▒██████████▓░
           ░▒██████████▒▓█████████▓░
                 ░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
PsylockReborn

Activity: 420
Merit: 24

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 04:00:33 AM

There will be a change in bitcoin's value if this will happen. I think the value of Bitcoin will go down as well as Eth but when it comes to stability I guess it will be a little bit stable. No one can really tell since its never been tested but with my own opinion I guess it will have a very big impact on BTC.

This would be the time that alts will rise in value since they can be easily purchased using FIAT and there are lots of new crypto enthusiasts coming every year so lets just have to wait what the future will bring into crypto.

There would be less volatility in bitcoin price because traders would have more choices then as base coin instead of just bitcoin, ethereum and tether. There would be more volume added to the crypto market because more people can easily buy a coin using fiat money without the need to buy bitcoin or ethereum first to trade it. I would be happy myself if it would happen because there are times when I need some fiat so not converting to bitcoin would give me more funds to convert to fiat. As bitcoin is making rapid movements, the altcoins wouldn't be that much affected anymore because it is independent of bitcoin.

I concur. Accessibility of the alts will be very easy and we don't have to be worried about the fees of btc transactions when depositing into an exchange.
Elcapsono

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

THE ENERGY EFFICIENCY PROTOCOL

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 05:00:40 AM

So the market of alts would look a bit probably more stable and the growth is more dynamic, but we still would not see that one of the coins overtakes bitcoin. Everyone has his own limit, through which he can not jump, regardless of events.

▄▄██ █████ █████ █████ █████ ██▄▄
▄████ █████ █████ █████ █████ ████▄
████▀  ▀███ █████ █████ █████ █████
▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄
████    ███ █████ █████ █████ █████
▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀
████    ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀███ █████ █████
████                 ██ █████ █████
▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄
████    █▀███████    ██ █████ █████
████    █ ███████    ██ █████ █████
▀▀▀▀    █ ▄▄▄ ███    ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀
████    █ ███ ███    ██ █████ █████
████    █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█    ██ █████ █████
████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀████
▄▄▄▄                            ▄▄▄
█████ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄████
 ████ █████ █████ █████ █████ ████
   ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀   
bluenote.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀

█▀▀▀█▀▄
█   █  ▀▄
█   ▀▀▀▀█
█ ▀▀▀▀▀ █
█ ▀▀▀▀▀ █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█▀▀█▀▄   █
█  █  ▀▄ █
█  ▀▀▀▀█ █
█ ▀▀▀▀ █▄█
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Summary
WhitePaper
Fabsquire

Activity: 798
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2018, 10:07:11 AM

I guess it could also help to make the markets more mature and get the coin's out that are now only used to pump and make more bitcoin for a selected few.

berrygood

Activity: 308
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2018, 11:43:03 AM

You can't transfer usd between exchanges, and there is a risk associated with holding usd so usd can never take place of btc in the markets. Fiat is not a big deal for me.

mu_enrico
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 2142

Slots Enthusiast & Expert

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2018, 01:20:27 PM

I agree that fiat doesn't offer same flexibility as BTC,
Fiat-Crypto must involve KYC, deposit and withdrawal fee will be higher in some case, and cannot transfer fiat between exchanges..
So I guess BTC still useful

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 01:23:21 PM

You can't transfer usd between exchanges

this is a good point but you can transfer between exchanges with countless other coins too, and when bitcoin is slow and expensive using it to transfer makes no sense at all.
sexy1983

Activity: 223
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 01:34:33 PM

It is still the leader of the mainstream currency. The future may be able to pull out of bitcoin's influence, but this year it is not.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: