Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 10:56:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does not it bother anyone that BTC value increasing too fast?  (Read 7655 times)
btcprice

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:12:57 PM

Global adoption, supply and demand. What do you expect the price to do? Check out the speculation forum, people are literally begging for cheap coins.

People were saying the same 6 months ago..

The demand from the Chinese wasn't present 6 months ago like it is today and the supply isn't all that much greater. Naturally the price will go up.
jdbtracker

Activity: 727
Merit: 500

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:13:59 PM

Well we have to look at this carefully this demand is coming from China, What will happen once the buying volume goes down? demand outpaces supply of Btc? The price will level off, but it could set off a wave of buying that could self sustain itself, It depends on how large the outside market is compared to china's.

It could remain stable any more rapid rises should be analyzed to see the size of the correction before it happens, It'll bounce back, but...Wink if the demand is there, it could go to 1000.00 USD. That would mean a market cap of 12 Billion USD/BTC in circulation, that is a lot of cash to be moving around, the velocity of money should rise with the extra capital injected into the system. I am thinking it could create a Bitcoin business boom, maybe get a little circulation happening on the streets for a change.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 10:15:39 PM

Well we have to look at this carefully this demand is coming from China, What will happen once the buying volume goes down? demand outpaces supply of Btc? The price will level off, but it could set off a wave of buying that could self sustain itself, It depends on how large the outside market is compared to china's.

Once the people find out that there's more than one make and model of automobile, the capital will begin spilling over to other automakers.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:16:07 PM

Its rising fast however it should slow down soon!
mateo

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:19:38 PM

Yes it worries me a lot. Only speculators and short-term hoarders like bubbles, merchants generally hate them and I am one.

Rise in value is welcome as masses adopt the currency, but that rise has to be no more than 5% per year. Otherwise, it encourages hoarding and greatly discourages trading (which is, you know, the whole point of currency). And when a bubble pops Bitcoin will receive another dosage of negative press which will offset it's mainstream adoption again. In the end it's merchants who accept Bitcoin, that can make it a currency, not speculators, and merchants will not accept it, if it's jumping in value so wildly.

The volume on the exchanges is paper thin, and all it takes is one guy with a 1000 BTC suddenly deciding to liquidate his holdings, and then all this greed of hoarders, that you see on the boards here, will be replaced with fear and then - another crash, long-term damaging Bitcoin once again.

BTC to the moon!
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:20:43 PM

Bubbles may be good for speculation but they are detrimental to a currency.  A currency requires stability.  If the consensus is that, "This is just Bitcoin" and "It will always be like this.", then Bitcoin will never be a legitimate currency.  It will forever remain a speculative commodity, until people lose interest and move on to the next hot investment idea.  And that's not even adding manipulation to the equation, which all but renders Bitcoin useless as a currency by itself, and offers nothing to replace our current monetary system.  Those with the most, will skew the markets in their direction.  Same shit, different name.

It may be time to accept the fact that Bitcoin is not about anything other than making as much money hoarding and speculating as possible.  Everything else is just sales market pitch to get more people buying in, to swell the bubbles and feed those at the top of the pyramid. Most everyone else is going to be bagholders, sooner or later.  This is a rerun with fancier coding.  I guess I should just say, "thanks" and make sure I don't get caught holding one of those bags.   Wink

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
mateo

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:21:37 PM

Global adoption, supply and demand. What do you expect the price to do? Check out the speculation forum, people are literally begging for cheap coins.

The demand from the Chinese wasn't present 6 months ago like it is today and the supply isn't all that much greater. Naturally the price will go up.

Cyprus. Isn't that what speculators used to justify the rise in price the last time?

BTC to the moon!
cdtc

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:28:33 PM

There is a big game maybe bigger than btc? Somehow value rising continuously. This never been happen before. I see that everybody happy with that. But this a baloon and when it is end damage maybe bigger than expections. Everybody speaking about bitcoin on tv, on newspapers etc. Many people investing to bitcoin. Many people will loose their thrust after that big fall.

What you thing? Someone trying to kill Bitcoin forever?
It doesn't worry me, I think it will rise even more when more and more people find out about it.

BetFury                                                     
🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹
                                                    Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                   
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:46:45 PM

In some plausible scenarios the actual value of bitcoin as a tool to solve real-world problems is quite high.  In that case, the value is not really increasing all that quickly and has a ways to go.

I continue to believe that things will probably not play out as described, but it seems to be becoming ever more possible.  I'd love to be wrong in my estimates.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jdbtracker

Activity: 727
Merit: 500

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:53:43 PM

This will be determined by the depth of the average pockets. A lot of people are buying BTC every month, using it as their investment fund for the future. If this  plays out right, we could get a windfall of people; Bigger market, more movement, more customers, it starts working more like a currency. The ATM recently installed in Vancouver, is proof there is demand, but the hassle of trying to get it is daunting and could be detrimental to a mass adoption; We need more ATMs on the ground.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:54:39 PM

Cyprus. Isn't that what speculators used to justify the rise in price the last time?

A lot of people did. But, it's many factors which could of made it raise. And, it's pretty much just speculation which doesn't really mean anything.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:59:11 PM

Rise in value is welcome as masses adopt the currency, but that rise has to be no more than 5% per year.

There is no way to control the rise in value and second a rise of 5% per year with no speculation would mean the underlying economy is growing at 5% over the rate of monetary inflation per year.  For something as small as Bitcoin that would be a death sentance.  It would take decades for the userbase to grow even into the millions.

If you want slow steady rises in value wait a decade or two.  Bitcoin will either be gone or it will be magnitudes larger and the rate of growth will have been reduced significantly.
cainy393

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:18:42 PM

I honestly can't see bitcoin continuing like this forever. It's price is increasing at such a rate that I believe it must at some point collapse under it's own weight. The price will drop so severely that most disregard bitcoin for the foreseeable future and it is left at a meager price with only hardcore enthusiasts still using the currency.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:28:31 PM

I honestly can't see bitcoin continuing like this forever. It's price is increasing at such a rate that I believe it must at some point collapse under it's own weight. The price will drop so severely that most disregard bitcoin for the foreseeable future and it is left at a meager price with only hardcore enthusiasts still using the currency.

Sure.

Bitcoin has crashed hard in the past and it didn't bring about doom and gloom despite similar predicts both before and after major crashes.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:32:45 PM

Sure.

Bitcoin has crashed hard in the past and it didn't bring about doom and gloom despite similar predicts both before and after major crashes.

That's very true and likely will be true moving forward.  However, I suspect it will expose Bitcoin as something that is not a viable currency.  And if people don't believe it's a viable currency, it doesn't matter how high or low the price is.  The may speculate on it but they simply won't use for commerce.  And honestly, what percentage of the world population speculates for a living?

DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:49:01 PM

What is new and support constant price rise, is that Bitcoin is a defaltionary currency.. It's the first time a defaltion economy is created and is used..

Price may keep going up forever...
Rupture

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:02:06 AM

Nope. Too the moon!
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:04:08 AM

What is new and support constant price rise, is that Bitcoin is a defaltionary currency.. It's the first time a defaltion economy is created and is used..

Price may keep going up forever...

And likely the last...deflation prevents spending and thus it's not an economy at all but just a speculative commodity, with a finite shelf life.  But, we'd never known if we hadn't tried right?  After this experiment is over, hopefully we can come up with some realistic solutions to our monetary systems problems.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:13:20 AM

And likely the last...deflation prevents spending and thus it's not an economy at all but just a speculative commodity, with a finite shelf life.  But, we'd never known if we hadn't tried right?  After this experiment is over, hopefully we can come up with some realistic solutions to our monetary systems problems.

Keep waiting.  Bitcoin actually has monetary inflation and will have it for over a century.   Price deflation would still be likely in Bitcoin even in the rate of printing was much higher.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:16:14 AM

Bubbles may be good for speculation but they are detrimental to a currency.  A currency requires stability.  If the consensus is that, "This is just Bitcoin" and "It will always be like this.", then Bitcoin will never be a legitimate currency.  It will forever remain a speculative commodity, until people lose interest and move on to the next hot investment idea.  And that's not even adding manipulation to the equation, which all but renders Bitcoin useless as a currency by itself, and offers nothing to replace our current monetary system.  Those with the most, will skew the markets in their direction.  Same shit, different name.

It may be time to accept the fact that Bitcoin is not about anything other than making as much money hoarding and speculating as possible.  Everything else is just sales market pitch to get more people buying in, to swell the bubbles and feed those at the top of the pyramid. Most everyone else is going to be bagholders, sooner or later.  This is a rerun with fancier coding.  I guess I should just say, "thanks" and make sure I don't get caught holding one of those bags.   Wink

What the hell do you expect dude?

Your arguments suggest no open source decentralized currency could ever be effective, because there is no way in hell you are going to give people the opportunity to invest in an open limited technology that is also a potential useful currency and NOT have MASSIVE fluctuations and volatility in its adoption phase.

I mean you are arguing against Bitcoin as a currency because of it's price volatility.

Then just go promote fiat. Or a centralized Ripple currency or ask Google to make Google coins. Because there is absolutely positively no way around the fact that disruptive technologies grow exponentially and with exponential growth you WILL have extreme volatility for months and years.

It amazes me how short sighted people can be.

And currency is only 1 of a myriad of potential globally disruptive aspects of the btc technology. Amazing.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: