Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:15:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does not it bother anyone that BTC value increasing too fast?  (Read 7655 times)
Gordonium

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 05:19:10 PM

Bitcoin Market Capitalization is about the amount the government debt grew each day in 2009. So I would think Bitcoin is still REALLY undervalued. Probably more so than any other asset in the history of finance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:32:26 PM

You know I agree that it is speculative demand and that it may crash a little but I don't agree that you can dismiss Bitcoin like that and say it doesn't solve any real world issues. The speculative demand is there *because* it solves real world problems and people see it is limited in quantity and now is the time to get into it.

It is still very hard to send money to a lot of countries and also to send money from a lot of countries. Bitcoin does solve that problem because it is not regulated or dependent on a slow moving central authority (private sector or otherwise) to approve it's use in these various untapped markets. It makes it impossible to impose capital controls. That is huge!

How are people going to use those Bitcoin?  They have to turn them into government fiat.  Which means banking system, which means the same problems as we've always had.  I'll say it again...just creating a currency "free" from government, does nothing to resolve the issue that have our global monetary system on the verge of collapse.  It just insures that there will be a few new rich people and a bunch of bag holders.  And let's not even get started on the decentralization of Bitcoin, which anyone by now should be able to see is a farce.  It's totally centralized around the huge mining farms and the Bitcoin foundation.  He who controls the miners, controls Bitcoin.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:35:54 PM

He who controls the miners, controls Bitcoin.
And who controls the routers, controls internet.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:38:42 PM

But if they try to partition or censor the internet, it is simple to set up new routers to rejoin the partitions.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:43:43 PM

My main issue is not that you question bitcoin as a/the major world currency. Or that you question a deflationary currency.

My main issue is you seem to paint the subject of bitcions success or failure as black or white, a be all or be nothing. There are so many things bitcoin can be - a means of frictionless money transfer, a real store of wealth, a niche currency, a country's currency, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

So to just run around calling bitcoin nothing more than a speculative bubble is disingenious by you, imo. Especially if you read as much as you said you have.

I personally believe bitcoins can have a 100 billion dollar market cap and be a niche currency at best. That's not failure. That's not a bubble. That's a small part of a global financial system.

You sound to me like someone who had the opportunity to buy bitcoins cheap and did not. Now you complain about potential future bitcoin millionaires. That's not geniune, imo. Because you are justifying not owning bitcoins because of some idealistic belief that bitcoin isn't the answer to the worlds financial problems. You know, it probably isnt THE answer to the world's financial problems. But that doesn't mean it isn't going to carve out a nice little niche for itself in the world. (ie 100 billion market cap+)

First, it is black or white to me.  That may not jive with your thinking, but that doesn't make it wrong.  Simply put, Bitcoin can be a store of value and/or a transactional currency.  There's not much grey area there.  Second, it's not disingenuous for me to state as much.  It's called an opinion and for people who espouse "Freedom" there continues to be many who don't like anyone talking contradictory to Bitcoin "religion".  I'm not here for Bitcoin religion and I don't stay involved in the crypto space for such nonsense.  I'm here to solve our world monetary issues.  I don't honestly care if it's Bitcoin or something else.  The brand name means nothing to me.

I hold Bitcoin.  I had an opporutuinty to buy at around $70 right before the SatoshiDice sale, so again, more speculation from someone who obviously values speculation over facts.  Live in your delusions.  But IMO, this a bubble.  It is not due to increased spending of Bitcoins, it's pure speculative demand.  Now, maybe it will all smooth out when the hype is gone and people will begin spending over hoarding.  Maybe theoretical Austrian economic concepts will prove to be true.  But for now, it's just a simple gold rush.  Tulip manic and potentially, a soon to collapse pyramid. Everything economists have been saying would happen from the start.  And even if all that should work out perfectly, Bitcoin still fails to solve our REAL world monetary issues, as I've previously stated.  Now, those are MY opinions.  If that leaves you butthurt, "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." 

This is where you are disingenious. Tulips had no value. Pyramid schemes have no product or service.  This is the lowest form of argument against bitcoin. You will understand this one point one day ---> Bitcoin is a technology and technologies are more speculative and volatile because of their potential.

I'm sorry that the bitcoin "religion" - whatever that is, lol - leaves YOU butthurt. I'm sure Jeremy Allaire is really interested in this religion, lol.

Just be happy you bought at $70 and keep it as a hedge against your own lack of vision.

An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:47:32 PM

And let's not even get started on the decentralization of Bitcoin, which anyone by now should be able to see is a farce.  It's totally centralized around the huge mining farms and the Bitcoin foundation.  He who controls the miners, controls Bitcoin.
Just wait, if BTC starts getting really used as a normal online currency to buy goods the gov will start putting regulations on who buys miners, i mean you wouldnt want terrorists to control 51% of the mining power, now would you?
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:49:15 PM

Access, yes, but cannot meddle with the information stored (assuming standard SSL encryption). You might rather say, he who controls the keys controls the information.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 08:24:21 PM

This is where you are disingenious. Tulips had no value. Pyramid schemes have no product or service.  This is the lowest form of argument against bitcoin. You will understand this one point one day ---> Bitcoin is a technology and technologies are more speculative and volatile because of their potential.

I'm sorry that the bitcoin "religion" - whatever that is, lol - leaves YOU butthurt. I'm sure Jeremy Allaire is really interested in this religion, lol.

Just be happy you bought at $70 and keep it as a hedge against your own lack of vision.

I'm very happy and I intended to put my Bitcoin profits into Ripple infrastructure.  You know...an actual potential solution to the entire problem, not just one little currency.  Oh, the sweet irony.   Wink  So please by all means...continue to inflate the bubble.  The war chest only grows larger.    Grin

AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:56:48 AM

I'm very happy and I intended to put my Bitcoin profits into Ripple infrastructure.  You know...an actual potential solution to the entire problem, not just one little currency.  Oh, the sweet irony.   Wink  So please by all means...continue to inflate the bubble.  The war chest only grows larger.    Grin

I don't hear very many people saying good things about Ripple these days, make me wonder why.  Huh

kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:07:46 AM

I don't hear very many people saying good things about Ripple these days, make me wonder why.  Huh

From what I understand, there:s not as much speculation and ROI potential for Ripple due to the volume.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:09:13 AM

From what I understand, there:s not as much speculation and ROI potential for Ripple due to the volume.

Weird, considering the large corporate backing it has. 

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:17:27 AM

Access, yes, but cannot meddle with the information stored (assuming standard SSL encryption). You might rather say, he who controls the keys controls the information.
Assume nothing. The NSA doesn't.

EDIT: To answer the original question- yes. Yes it does. But then again, I love it.

more or less retired.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:21:20 AM

Yes, because speculation is what will fix our world monetary issues.   Roll Eyes

windjc
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:22:28 AM

This is where you are disingenious. Tulips had no value. Pyramid schemes have no product or service.  This is the lowest form of argument against bitcoin. You will understand this one point one day ---> Bitcoin is a technology and technologies are more speculative and volatile because of their potential.

Why don't you just go work for Ripple?

I mean, I have never seen a person such a fanboy of a corporation who also preaches financial freedom for the people.  If you are good coder, I'm sure they are hiring.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:25:36 AM

I mean, I have never seen a person such a fanboy of a corporation who also preaches financial freedom for the people.  If you are good coder, I'm sure they are hiring.

Ripple is open source, thus one does not need to work for Ripplelabs.  Or did you not get the memo?  And it's not about being a "fanboy", it's about seeing the difference between real solutions to our problems and speculative hype.  If Bitcoin was actually a real solution, I would gladly say so.  Unfortunately, I can not make that claim but I will take the Bitcoin money, just like the rest of you.   Wink

windjc
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:29:35 AM

I mean, I have never seen a person such a fanboy of a corporation who also preaches financial freedom for the people.  If you are good coder, I'm sure they are hiring.

Ripple is open source, thus one does not need to work for Ripplelabs.  Or did you not get the memo?  And it's not about being a "fanboy", it's about seeing the difference between real solutions to our problems and speculative hype.  

Ripple is open source. I got the memo. But Ripple Corp. also owns a huge amount of Ripple and they also own all their private stock. How much of the Ripple private stock do YOU own? So congrats on making their board of directors wealthy. Good luck with that.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:31:29 AM

Ripple is open source, thus one does not need to work for Ripplelabs.  Or did you not get the memo?  And it's not about being a "fanboy", it's about seeing the difference between real solutions to our problems and speculative hype.  

Ripple is open source. I got the memo. But Ripple Corp. also owns a huge amount of Ripple and they also own all their private stock. How much of the Ripple private stock do YOU own? So congrats on making their board of directors wealthy. Good luck with that.

I hope they get ridiculously wealthy.  I hope they are the first US Trillionaires.  Unlike some, I don't have an issue with people making money.  You don't see me knocking people for getting wealthy on Bitcoin do you?  Not really sure what point you're trying to make.  

AndrewWilliams

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:34:53 AM

Sorry, I was buried in Ripple/GoldCoin/MegaCoin propaganda threads!  Cheesy
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:36:05 AM

I hope they get ridiculously wealthy.  I hope they are the first US Trillionaires.  Unlike some, I don't have an issue with people making money.  You don't see me knocking people for getting wealthy on Bitcoin do you?  Not really sure what point you're trying to make.  

Yes, I do see you knocking people for getting wealthy. Or should I cut and paste the post you made about how bitcoiners becoming wealthy was just as bad as our current wealthy bankers.

You are constantly knocking bitcoin almost any chance you get. I'm glad you a passionate about Ripple. But shouldn't you join/start and Ripple forum? Seriously.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:46:37 AM

Yes, I do see you knocking people for getting wealthy. Or should I cut and paste the post you made about how bitcoiners becoming wealthy was just as bad as our current wealthy bankers.

You are constantly knocking bitcoin almost any chance you get. I'm glad you a passionate about Ripple. But shouldn't you join/start and Ripple forum? Seriously.

You misunderstand, it's not about wealthy, those comments are about Bitcoin not solving the problems, so the people end up being beholden to wealthy Bitcoiners under a new currency.  A currency that few have and the majority have to come to the few to get.  Same old thing, just a different fiat.  You apparently don't understand much of our global monetary issues and thus my comments are flying over your head.  I can see you are emotional but that's really your issue.  You are also free to click that little ignore button at any time you choose, to join the rest of the crybabies who I'm glad I don't have to listen to anymore.  

There's a little thing called freedom, maybe you've heard of it.  So I'll continue to post as long as I choose.  I'm not here to be your friend and I don't care if I hurt your feelings.  I say what I want, when I want and if that's too much for you, then kindly stop responding.  If you'd like to have an actual conversation, that doesn't include your feeling getting hurt everytime someone mentions Ripple, I'm more than happy to do that too.  It's your call, sport.   Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: