Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:07:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: confusion with bitcoin core wallet  (Read 273 times)
galili17 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 05:04:54 PM

hello im newbie to the world of crypto i sent some btc to an unsync bitcoin core wallet i cant sync it due to my many factors so i wanted to use my btc fron another wallet i followed instructions on internet to get my private key from the console and i checked that the amount its avaliable at the address but when i go to electrum and i import the private that i got from bitcoin core wallet they add an address different than the adress where i sent my money help please
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16623

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2018, 05:21:15 PM

when i go to electrum and i import the private that i got from bitcoin core wallet they add an address different than the adress where i sent my money
My guess is this has to do with SegWit addresses. What does it start with? There are 3 options:
-bc1....

galili17 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 05:53:41 PM

when i go to electrum and i import the private that i got from bitcoin core wallet they add an address different than the adress where i sent my money
My guess is this has to do with SegWit addresses. What does it start with? There are 3 options:
-bc1....
the adress where i sent my btc start with 3 while the adress shown when i add my private key to electrum or blockchain.info start with 1.
thank you
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16623

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2018, 06:49:12 PM

the adress where i sent my btc start with 3 while the adress shown when i add my private key to electrum or blockchain.info start with 1.
Your funds are in a SegWit address, but Electrum shows a legacy address.
I've never actually tried doing this by myself, but I'm surprised I can't find a solution for you. I did read "import into Bitcoin Core" as a solution a few times, but that's exactly what you don't want.

I am very curious how to import (or sweep) your funds!

Note: never post your private key, I'm pretty sure this key gives access to your SegWit address too!

Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 07:07:49 PM

thank you
Use Abdussamad's script to convert it to a format Electrum understands.
Code:
python3 electrum-convert-privkey.py <yourprivatekey> p2wpkh-p2sh | electrum -w wallet_file_path restore
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 07:59:11 PM

Your funds are in a SegWit address, but Electrum shows a legacy address.
I've never actually tried doing this by myself, but I'm surprised I can't find a solution for you. I did read "import into Bitcoin Core" as a solution a few times, but that's exactly what you don't want.

I am very curious how to import (or sweep) your funds!

Note: never post your private key, I'm pretty sure this key gives access to your SegWit address too!

Yes the private key will expose both addresses and give anyone the control of your funds.
thank you
Code:
python3 electrum-convert-privkey.py <yourprivatekey> p2wpkh-p2sh | electrum -w wallet_file_path restore
If that doesn't work op or you don't want to run a scripty, just make a new electrum wallet and send the funds there from the address starting with a 3. You can use an address starting with a 3 in electrum (insert a legacy seed into the recovery option and select a destination path of m/44'/0'/0' (I think that's the right path anyway)).

Then, if you want the address still in bitcoin core then import that key from electrum (right clicking the appropriate address and clicking to get the private key).

I'd advise against using blockchain.Info's web wallet if you can (putting anything online reduces security).
galili17 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 08:47:22 PM

thank you
Code:
hello thank you for your answer i said electrum because i m familiar with thats all is there any other lightwallet that i can import my private key to without facing this problem ? all what i want is to move my btc without sync bitcoin core because in my country we have problem with internet speed so its imposible to me to sync bitcoin core
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2018, 09:53:29 PM

thank you
Code:
hello thank you for your answer i said electrum because i m familiar with thats all is there any other lightwallet that i can import my private key to without facing this problem ? all what i want is to move my btc without sync bitcoin core because in my country we have problem with internet speed so its imposible to me to sync bitcoin core
I found a site where you can just sweep your wallet and send it to your new bitcoin address.

Check this site https://segwitaddress.org/

I just found this when reading about WIF keys and WIF compressed that I thought this is the reason for the different address given from electrum.
You can try to use the sweep feature on segwitaddress.org

Take note I don't know if it's safe but someone posted this site already and test, check here below.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2647709.msg27513995#msg27513995

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 11:12:29 PM

If that doesn't work op or you don't want to run a scripty, just make a new electrum wallet and send the funds there from the address starting with a 3. You can use an address starting with a 3 in electrum (insert a legacy seed into the recovery option and select a destination path of m/44'/0'/0' (I think that's the right path anyway)).
I don't think that's possible, afaik bitcoin core doesn't give you explicitly the seed you start with
I would suggest just create a new wallet in electrum, you can choose legacy (1xxx) or native segwit bech32 (bc1xxx)
then use another tool (you can use coinb.in) to send from your core old address to electrum new address

Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 09:50:09 AM
Merited by TryNinja (1), nc50lc (1), HCP (1), Thirdspace (1)

You can use Electrum.
In the field where you enter the private key, enter p2wpkh-p2sh: in front of the private key.
For example, do this:
Code:
p2wpkh-p2sh:5BlahBlah
Replace "5blahblah" with your private key.
It should import the correct address
galili17 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 01:13:41 PM

thank you
Code:
I found a site where you can just sweep your wallet and send it to your new bitcoin address.

Check this site https://segwitaddress.org/

I just found this when reading about WIF keys and WIF compressed that I thought this is the reason for the different address given from electrum.
You can try to use the sweep feature on segwitaddress.org

Take note I don't know if it's safe but someone posted this site already and test, check here below.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2647709.msg27513995#msg27513995
thank so much you it worked so fine wiith me easy and quick solution
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: