Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:17:09 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweeping from all addresses in Bitcoin-Qt into new Armory addresses  (Read 4704 times)
smfuser (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 01:22:00 AM
Last edit: November 17, 2013, 01:40:00 AM by smfuser

Can anyone please explain how I can sweep all funds from a Bitcoin-Qt wallet into an Armory offline wallet (preferably without using the offline system), where the funds from each original address would be swept into a corresponding new Armory address holding the identical amount?  So if the original wallet had 100 addresses, then 100 new addresses would be created in the Armory wallet.

Unless the address is quite old, "Import/Sweep Private Keys" does not appear to work (apparently the private key is not recognized because the public key is compressed).  However, is there a reason the sweep function isn't currently available at all for watching-only wallets (even for non-compressed public keys), if sweeping means sending funds from the original key into a standard (deterministically generated) Armory address?  I understand why importing (i.e., keeping the original key) isn't possible with a watching-only wallet, but I'm wondering whether I'm misunderstanding how sweeping works.

My understanding is that I can't control which key(s) are used as the source of funds when sending from Bitcoin-Qt.  However, I've read that if the amount being sent can be drawn from a single source key, then multiple source keys will not be used.  Does that mean I can simply send all funds for each address to a new Armory address in decreasing order of size?

Some of the addresses contain identical amounts of BTC.  For such cases, I'd prefer to know which address would be used ahead of time, but even if I can't, it should be ok provided that only one source address would be used since I can simply verify which one it was after the transfer.
smfuser (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 01:52:16 AM

I see that Coin Control for Bitcoin-Qt is one option (but my online system is a Mac), and some other clients may allow coin control, but my intention was to use only Armory from now on, so I'd like to know the easiest way to sweep everything into Armory.  If my idea above won't work, is there another client that can import my Bitcoin-Qt wallet and then permit me to transfer from there into Armory's wallet?  Either way, I'd appreciate any feedback.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 03:57:14 PM

I don't understand.  Why not generate an address in your Armory wallet, open Bitcoin-Qt, and send all your money to your Armory wallet? 

If you are using auto-bitcoind, you'll have to close Armory and then open Bitcoin-Qt.  But that's fine.  Money still moves even when Armory is not connected. 

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
smfuser (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:46:41 PM

Why not generate an address in your Armory wallet, open Bitcoin-Qt, and send all your money to your Armory wallet?

Thanks for your reply.  My question was whether sending from Bitcoin-Qt can preserve a one-to-one correspondence between my original Bitcoin-Qt addresses and new Armory addresses (which is what I meant by "the funds from each original address would be swept into a corresponding new Armory address holding the identical amount", and "if the original wallet had 100 addresses, then 100 new addresses would be created in the Armory wallet").  For example, if I have 3 addresses in Bitcoin-Qt (B1, B2, B3), I'd like 3 new Armory addresses (A1, A2, A3), with all funds from B1 sent to A1, B2 to A2, B3 to A3.  (I actually have closer to 100 addresses to sweep).

My concern is that anything I send from Bitcoin-Qt to a new Armory address might mix funds from multiple addresses in an unpredictable manner.  However, is it true that Bitcoin-Qt always draws from 1 address if it can?  If so, could my idea of sending in order of decreasing address balance ensure that every new Armory address will receive funds from only a single Bitcoin-Qt address?  (By the way, all the source addresses should only have a single key pair, because they were never used to send funds before, so they should have no hidden change addresses).

My understanding is that sweeping the list of private keys for B1, B2, etc. in Armory would do what I want (although I'm not sure whether sweeping multiple keys at once would sweep everything into a single new Armory address, in which case I would have to sweep each key one at a time).  However, I see 2 problems:

1) Most of the private keys aren't accepted (apparently since the more recent ones have compressed public keys).
2) I'd like to sweep into an offline wallet, and I don't see how to access the sweep function on the watching-only wallet (and it's also disabled on the offline wallet).  Is it currently simply not possible to sweep private keys (even in a supported format) into either a watching-only or offline Armory wallet?

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding anything above, and I'd appreciate any suggestions.
jzcjca00

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 01:49:37 PM

I have the exact same question.  Does anyone know the answer?

I don't want to simply sweep all my coins, which were acquired in various ways from different sources over a period of many months, into a single address.  That would mean that anyone receiving coins from me could essentially see my entire Bitcoin history and know exactly how many bitcoins I have, when I acquired them, etc.  It opens me up to an unreasonable invasion of privacy.

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 03:39:54 PM

Sorry, there is no way to do this without importing the keys or merging all of them.  But as you said, they are compressed, so Armory can't import (or sweep) compressed keys yet.  There really isn't a good way to do what you're looking for with the current version of Armory.

However, after this next release is out and stable, I will be working on the new wallets which will support compressed keys.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
wisefear

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 06:28:57 AM

I have the exact same question. Is this possible yet? (As of March 15, 2014)

I am using Armory Version 0.90-beta on Mac (which I believe is the latest version).

I have a Watching-Only wallet (private key is stored on offline computer).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: