Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:14:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Your biggest bitcoin-buy/sell fuckups - Therapy by writing & reading :)  (Read 5730 times)
emanymton

Activity: 219
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:12:00 AM

Lost 1600 coins during the april crash, I behaved like a pig and was slaughtered.
Ima go back to crying in between taking bites out of this cookie dough tube  Cry
JakeGold

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:14:36 AM

It's expensive to be lazy.

If you learned your lesson, it was the best bargain of your life.
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:17:19 AM

I started buying and selling bitcoins around March 2012. I always kept a fluctuating stash of 100 - 300 coins that I bought for around $5 each on average. There was a mini spike to $14 followed by a flash crash to about $8 in August 2012. I was so proud of myself for selling 99% of my coins near the peak of that crash.  Roll Eyes

At that point, my knowledge of bitcoin was limited, therefore my faith was weak. I thought it was overvalued, so I slowly bought back in over the course of the next year. I have less coins now, and I paid more for them!

Then I sold half my coins at about $120 at the beginning of the SR crash. Again, proud of myself for selling the top (Doh!). Accepted my mistake when we were pushing on $150 and bought back in. I like to think I just donated ~10% of my stash to people who may not have as many bitcoins. I'm ok with sharing.

I want to believe I've learned my lesson, but I'm sure I will continue to give away my coins during crashes. I have put ~35% of my coins on paper wallets that I don't touch no matter what though.

I like this thread. It's comforting  Smiley

Bitcopia

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:19:02 AM

Lost 1600 coins during the april crash, I behaved like a pig and was slaughtered.
Ima go back to crying in between taking bites out of this cookie dough tube  Cry

Ouch. Tell me you kept some...
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:19:25 AM

Have not sold a single coin.
Biggest fuckup was investing 6 BTC in coinlenders.

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:20:10 AM

Buying 1st gen ASIC chips from Avalon in a group buy. Ugh.
MacMiner

Activity: 72

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:24:29 AM

328@7.6 - Manipulator times (bitcoinica, pirateat40...)
emanymton

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:31:35 AM

Still have about that much left, it's nearly time for $1000 a night hookers and scarface like piles of blow... Wink
Oh and also forgot about the 649btc that pirate stole... oh the stupidity  Roll Eyes
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:43:49 AM

Knew about bitcoin back when it was cpu mined.  

Researched it, read up on it, mined it with cpu for 3 days... lost interest.  I don't remember how much it was back then or even if there was exchanges or anything, it could not have been more than 1 or 2 bucks at the time a coin though.  Thought nothing of it and forgot to set my computer to auto-mine when it's not in use. Could have made a mint.

Fast forward a year or two. Interest in BTC was re-kindled when I read somewhere that it was going for $5 a coin. I remember being shocked it was $5.  I was thinking about doing some mining, but was doing the calculations and saw that for all the effort and power costs 'wasn't really worth it' enough to get me enthusiastic to mine with video cards. .....Yup, that was dumb. What was worse was I was working a p/t job reviewing computer hardware for a website and so had access to heavily discounted video cards, I paid about 1/3rd of retail and was getting the newest products on that market, often even before they were sold.

Ugh. Ya.

Got re-caught up in the bitcoin price boom of last year. I bought a few hundred dollars worth of coins at $14 and suddenly they went to $50 -$60, and climbing.

Spent 15 bTC towards a whopping 12 GH coming from Avalon in batch 3. Of course Avalon screwed that up, it was months late, and we'll only give me a 50% roi. You can buy 12 GH for like .6 BTC now or something.

Had a decent amount of Bitcoins and what did I do August? Invested a lot in Asicminer stock. I bought a lot at 3.5-3.8 BTC per share thinking it was undervalued...it slowly declined to around 0.6 BTC per share.

I made some good profit and my mining farm of 8 gpus at its peak brought in a lot of coins, but ended up losing much between Asicminer and Avalon.

So ya those are 5 terrible moves.  I could have made a bundle at least twice, maybe more times...but it's funny even with all those bad decisions I've still come out well ahead (hard not to when we are at $500+, which I still can't believe happened already) and have had a ton of nerd-fun, and now love Bitcoin even more.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Bitcopia

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:27:20 AM

Still have about that much left, it's nearly time for $1000 a night hookers and scarface like piles of blow... Wink
Oh and also forgot about the 649btc that pirate stole... oh the stupidity  Roll Eyes

One man's pain is another man's envy. I would be ecstatic if I had 1600 coins!! Glad you only sold half of your incredible bounty  Smiley
GameKyuubi

Activity: 253
Merit: 1413

DTCxNMC

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:39:35 AM

Bought 5 btc at $20 back in the day.  Sold a bit and here and there managed to both make money but less than I would have if I had just held.  Made a total of $400 profit for a total of $500 but sold at $260~ish and haven't rebought yet.  On the other hand, I grabbed $1k worth of coins at $400 from Coinbase.  Hope we don't crash before that clears on the 20th!

BTC: 15SLrNo6PKVfsH5JLtatJcVkSQXCk1LXyq
full stack Node
dominicwin

Activity: 84

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:41:29 AM

My worst decision was selling 200 bitcoins a few feeks ago when I found 300 bitcoins. Of course I have been buying them up and building up my bitcoin coffers again.

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
GameKyuubi

Activity: 253
Merit: 1413

DTCxNMC

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:40:27 AM

My worst decision was selling 200 bitcoins a few feeks ago when I found 300 bitcoins. Of course I have been buying them up and building up my bitcoin coffers again.

"Found"?

BTC: 15SLrNo6PKVfsH5JLtatJcVkSQXCk1LXyq
full stack Node
btcprice

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:50:16 AM

Cheesy

You're quickly becoming my favorite poster on this board.
emanymton

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 07:38:02 AM

One man's pain is another man's envy. I would be ecstatic if I had 1600 coins!! Glad you only sold half of your incredible bounty  Smiley

I didn't sell half, I literally lost them.
Before the crash I had about 3200 and then after the crash I had 1600 due to my *masterful* trading strategy.

Cheesy

You're quickly becoming my favorite poster on this board.

You're too kind, usually more of a lurker than a poster, but the sob story thread is definitely my time to shine  Grin
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:11:05 AM

Biggest mistake?
Preordering a BFL single instead of buying 130 BTC, nuff said.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:24:31 AM

Selling too much too early.

608?

You got to be kidding me.
davider

Activity: 72

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 08:39:48 AM

Thank you for the therapeutic thread. It feels good to see I'm not the only one screwing up.

I want in half BTC / half LTC in april. I saw altcoins as a quick way to increase my BTC.
I got lucky playing around with feathercoin. I went full in LTC in summer but I panic sold everything during the SR dip.

Short story: if I just bought and hold, now I would have 3x the BTC I have now.  Cry

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:12:31 AM

Ima go back to crying in between taking bites out of this cookie dough tube  Cry

Oh and also forgot about the 649btc that pirate stole... oh the stupidity  Roll Eyes
You poor poor millionaire, I really feel for you ...   Wink
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:45:17 PM

Sold 40 on Friday thinking it'll drop, as if often does, over the weekend.

Within hours a new ATH was reached, then proceeded to continue on up.

Sad

Still, have $16000. Not TOO shabby!

spend this now.

there is seriously very little time left....

Lol, just made my BTC back Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: