Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:14:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet online for Bitcoin  (Read 679 times)
Sellingaccs

Activity: 126
Merit: 50

Ask me for Pools, Nodes and Explorers.

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 09:23:18 AM

I always believe in what they do to protect our funds. Their service appeared to help us. for saving our assets.

That's the first mistake that you did, trusting a centralized party to protect your funds while they could just steal all of them and run at some point if some kind of data breach happened and they could not recover from it.

They have long been dedicated to it, and even to this day. Reasonable many hackers are tempted to hack, but it all depends on us, whether we can protect our private key, our data ourselves?

Dedicated people make mistakes at some point. It is just a matter of time when they do, and when it happens you are all on your own.
You cannot protect your funds, if someone else is holding them and has access to them as well. Multisignature would be a bit different.

Yes, I deeply regret that this is related to DNS attack on MEW wallet. I've done bookmarks so at least my funds are safe. Thanks to your warning about DNS attack.

It does not matter whether you did or not. If you used google DNS at the time, even accessing the official site could have caused for your private keys to get stolen assuming that you used some of the unsecure methods. Metamask and such are the recommended way to access MEW as every transaction is signed on your browser's metamask plugin rather than the source code of the page.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AnisahSiti

Activity: 261
Merit: 15

👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 11:54:02 AM

That's the first mistake that you did, trusting a centralized party to protect your funds while they could just steal all of them and run at some point if some kind of data breach happened and they could not recover from it.

Yes, maybe it was my mistake because of my long sense of comfort in the service (wallet online). Thanks for your advice, currently only a few coin assets are in my wallet online. and I've started to move my assets to the hardware wallet.

It does not matter whether you did or not. If you used google DNS at the time, even accessing the official site could have caused for your private keys to get stolen assuming that you used some of the unsecure methods. Metamask and such are the recommended way to access MEW as every transaction is signed on your browser's metamask plugin rather than the source code of the page.

So If I use the Trezor wallet is not safe too?

Thank you for the advice sir, I am still a newbie about the use of wallet, still need a lot of advice and learning. I feel helped by what you say.

▀██▀ ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄██████████▀          T O N U P          ▀██████████▄ ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀██▀
THE ULTIMATE LAUNCHPAD ON TON CHAIN
▀████▄     [      Twitter      ]    [    Telegram    ]    [     Medium     ]     ▄████▀
Sellingaccs

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 12:06:35 PM

So If I use the Trezor wallet is not safe too?

As far as i know, Trezor uses with MEW was not affected.
It should not have been as metamask was neither.

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 07:31:39 PM

I am the same The paper wallet method is way easier to fail than the hardware wallet method. I do not recommend using hot wallets for storage of coins, and never would advise for online wallet as you don't have the full control over your coins.
Skieleton (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 282

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 04:37:17 PM

I am the same The paper wallet method is way easier to fail than the hardware wallet method. I do not recommend using hot wallets for storage of coins, and never would advise for online wallet as you don't have the full control over your coins.
Good advice was ordered by Trezor and it works great Smiley. but for now I have everything in ETH I understand that this is Wallet on BTC anyway? That's how it works?
Sellingaccs

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 04:52:21 PM

I am the same The paper wallet method is way easier to fail than the hardware wallet method.

It is exactly, if you don't know what you are doing. However if you know a bit about security and technology, it will be very simple to do safely.
Even if the script used to generate was malicious, if it cannot store data and submit it online, then the malicious part of the code cannot do anything.
I'll give you an example:

Peter boots off linux live CD on a computer without internet connection and hard drive. He runs the website script for generating paper wallet. However the script has a line that sends the generated private key to server, but as the script cannot save anything on the hard drive, it cannot submit them online as Peter's computers is detached from the internet and does not have any kind of storage media.

End of the story, however it would be theoretically possible to save some kind of file to do this if executed on the Live CD for example. Hardware wallets (with screens) are certainly the best opinion for people without the needed technical knowledge because generating a private key on infected PC would basically cause all of your funds to a very likely possibility of their funds getting stolen. This is the reason why you need to be airgapped while doing it, on a fresh distro without anything downloaded to reduce the risks to minimum.

Good advice was ordered by Trezor and it works great Smiley

Great to hear that!

but for now I have everything in ETH I understand that this is Wallet on BTC anyway? That's how it works?

Not sure if Trezor supports ETH natively, but you can use MEW with the guide found from here: https://blog.trezor.io/trezor-integration-with-myetherwallet-3e217a652e08

The transactions are always signed on the trezor, rather than the website of MEW. However always remember when sending ETH to check the transaction on your Trezor before Signing & Broadcasting it. It is possible for malicious code to send an wrong request to your Trezor, and if you do not check carefully the details, it might end up in the wrong address.

Ps. If sending tokens, the destination address is the contract address so you will have to find another way to verify that this is the transaction that you indeed want to send.

MCVXYZ

Activity: 630
Merit: 24

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 06:38:32 PM

What do you recommend in this situation?

This basically depends on the amount of coins you want to store and the grade of security you want to reach.

The best option would be to use a hardware wallet (for regular spending) or a paper wallet (if you are holding for years, without accessing them).
If you don't want to spend money (or if the amount you hold is not worth it to get a hardware wallet), i would suggest to use a desktop wallet (e.g. electrum with a good password).
I personally would not use a online wallet. Only if you really need to access it from different locations without bringing 'devices' with yourself.

What about brain wallets?

I personally use paper wallet,The fact that wallet is just a container for private keys and we just hold keys and not coins allows me to say that paper wallets are the most secure way to keep funds,so we just use offline bitcoin storage(we don't need to store our keys in computer) and what can be more secure? I don't know.Anyway that's my opinion and of course this wallet has disadvantage too,it would be better to consider and wait for more experienced people's opinions, such as this guy seems.
Berfikirlah

Activity: 139
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 12:07:24 PM

Yes indeed we must secure our assets for example securing in the wallet, just imagine if we do not secure our assets then online criminals will act and steal our assets.
Killrbit

Activity: 224
Merit: 31

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 11:39:06 AM

Generally if you have large amount of funds its always best to store your coins offline, either a paper wallet or hardware one (ledger/trezor). Online wallets no matter how safe will always be at risk of hacks/ fraud/incompetence. The parity wallet which was generally considered one the safest and most reliable places to store coins is one of the best examples of this where a 15year old was able to take advantage of poor coding to essentially freeze what was at the time 400 million in ether (a lot more now).

Of course this decision will primarily depend on your funds but if u have anything over 1k-1.5k its best to pick up a hardware wallet.

░░▒▒▓▓▓▓▓************** DFINANCE is New Age of DEFI **************▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░░
░░▒▒▓▓▓▓* Bitcointalk ▐  TwitterReddit ▐  Telegram ▐  Github ▐  Discord *▓▓▓▓▒▒░░
░░▒▒▓▓▓** A Non-Code Platform for Decentralized Trading Instruments **▓▓▓▒▒░░
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: