Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:22:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: six months later and I'm lost  (Read 1146 times)
spoonbender (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:19:30 AM

Hello,

Back in April, I was given a small amount of bitcoin as a gift. I got myself a wallet at blockchain.info, and set up the Bitcoin Qt wallet on my computer. I experimented with sending bitcoin by sending some to myself, and I can see this transaction when I log in to blockchain.info.

Here's my question: I left my bitcoin alone for several months, and now I'm using Multibit instead of Bitcoin Qt. Multibit only shows the pittance I left behind when I made the experimental transfer, which shows up on blockchain.info as "unspent output". How can I get this "unspent output" back into my wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:26:02 AM

The easiest way would be to send you the Bitcoins you see in Bitcoin-Qt to an address you got from you new Multibit wallet.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:31:48 AM

Hello,

Back in April, I was given a small amount of bitcoin as a gift. I got myself a wallet at blockchain.info, and set up the Bitcoin Qt wallet on my computer. I experimented with sending bitcoin by sending some to myself, and I can see this transaction when I log in to blockchain.info.

Here's my question: I left my bitcoin alone for several months, and now I'm using Multibit instead of Bitcoin Qt. Multibit only shows the pittance I left behind when I made the experimental transfer, which shows up on blockchain.info as "unspent output". How can I get this "unspent output" back into my wallet?

the question is, do you still have your wallet.dat from the bitcoin QT client? i hope you didn't change computers for reformat. if you don't have that, the seed, or the private key.. then you are assed out sorry to say.
Rupture

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:46:46 AM

As long as you still have the wallet.dat you're good
spoonbender (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 02:53:11 PM

The reason I switched to MultiBit is because I got a new computer. I'd actually forgotten about the bitcoin because it was static. I've got my Qt login, but never exported the .dat file. :-(   Guess I'm screwed. Funny because I'm really good about doing backups, generally speaking. I just never thought to back up the wallet because I guess I never realized I couldn't just log in with my identifying info and access the bitcoin. I'm lucky it wasn't a large amount of money.

What was truly astounding to me, however, when I logged on yesterday to get back up to speed with bitcoin, was that the value of what I'd been given had quadrupled! So even though I lost basically everything, I'm going to start over, and this time I know to back up the wallet.
MahaRamana

Activity: 338

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:15:58 PM

like a real wallet full of cash, you have to remain aware of it or it gets lost or stolen...
rednazbtc

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:18:13 PM

It's lost.

Johanna

Activity: 255

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:19:09 PM

The reason I switched to MultiBit is because I got a new computer. I'd actually forgotten about the bitcoin because it was static. I've got my Qt login, but never exported the .dat file. :-(   Guess I'm screwed. Funny because I'm really good about doing backups, generally speaking. I just never thought to back up the wallet because I guess I never realized I couldn't just log in with my identifying info and access the bitcoin. I'm lucky it wasn't a large amount of money.

What was truly astounding to me, however, when I logged on yesterday to get back up to speed with bitcoin, was that the value of what I'd been given had quadrupled! So even though I lost basically everything, I'm going to start over, and this time I know to back up the wallet.

If you didn't backup your wallet.dat file you are doomed. Your wallet is gone....

coqui33

Activity: 198

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 03:23:23 PM

To avoid similar future loss, read topic "4.1 Security" in Getting Started With Bitcoins.

Armed Citizens and the Law -- NRA-certified firearms instructor
spoonbender (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:06:07 PM

Thank you cocqui 33, I have added that link to my Evernote for permanent reference.

OK, so I have a follow on question: when bitcoin gets lost like that, or when it gets seized by a government, as recently happened in the news, like this: https://blockchain.info/address/1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4xqX, what happens to it in the long run? Is it forever out of circulation?
coqui33

Activity: 198

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 06:22:21 PM

when bitcoin gets lost like that, or when it gets seized by a government, as recently happened in the news, like this... what happens to it in the long run? Is it forever out of circulation?
If no one can find the private key, the coins are lost forever. If the FBI knows the private key, it is up to the agency whether or when to spend them or exchange them for dollars.

Armed Citizens and the Law -- NRA-certified firearms instructor
co5hike

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:31:10 PM

Thank you cocqui 33, I have added that link to my Evernote for permanent reference.

OK, so I have a follow on question: when bitcoin gets lost like that, or when it gets seized by a government, as recently happened in the news, like this: https://blockchain.info/address/1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4xqX, what happens to it in the long run? Is it forever out of circulation?

It is forever out of circulation only when someone loose private key (access to the Bitcoin addresses)

spoonbender (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 05:16:18 AM

Thank you for explaining this.
spoonbender (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:20:57 AM

Hello again,
I may have great news, but I need your help to figure it out. I had a brain fart before - I didn't delete the user account on my old computer, but I /did/ uninstall most of the programs (including Bitcoin Qt), and lowered the user privileges. I haven't accessed the user in a couple of months (which is why I thought I'd deleted it), so most of the stuff I uninstalled is pretty intact, I think. I reinstated Admin privileges and ran Recuva, which found 21 .dat files. None of the .dat files are identified as a wallet, so I don't know if they're useful. Do I have a chance of claiming my lost bitcoins, or are these dat files going to be useless? How do I figure it out?
sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:29:46 AM

Hello again,
I may have great news, but I need your help to figure it out. I had a brain fart before - I didn't delete the user account on my old computer, but I /did/ uninstall most of the programs (including Bitcoin Qt), and lowered the user privileges. I haven't accessed the user in a couple of months (which is why I thought I'd deleted it), so most of the stuff I uninstalled is pretty intact, I think. I reinstated Admin privileges and ran Recuva, which found 21 .dat files. None of the .dat files are identified as a wallet, so I don't know if they're useful. Do I have a chance of claiming my lost bitcoins, or are these dat files going to be useless? How do I figure it out?

If you ran Windows 7 then your wallet file is: "C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin\wallet.dat"
If you ran Mac OS then your file is: "DiskName/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/wallet.dat"
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:32:27 AM

In Windows \Appdata\ is hidden by defult.

spoonbender (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:45:01 AM

It was there!!!!!  Grin Grin Grin   How do it get it into Multibit?Huh
Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:59:24 AM

There should be an option to import a wallet.dat (backup) file. maybe?

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:03:15 AM

that makes 5 lost wallet threads today by my count

glad it is looking like this is a happy one

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
spoonbender (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:19:53 AM

The import options are .key .json and .aes.json

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: