Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:49:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transactions Withholding Attack  (Read 27522 times)
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:14:11 AM

I digress that is off topic here but the point must be stated for the record

Is Bitcoin a Ponzi scheme?

In a Ponzi Scheme, the founders persuade investors that they’ll profit. Bitcoin does not make such a guarantee. There is no central entity, just individuals building an economy.

A ponzi scheme is a zero sum game. Early adopters can only profit at the expense of late adopters. Bitcoin has possible win-win outcomes. Early adopters profit from the rise in value. Late adopters, and indeed, society as a whole, benefit from the usefulness of a stable, fast, inexpensive, and widely accepted p2p currency.
The fact that early adopters benefit more doesn't alone make anything a Ponzi scheme. All good investments in successful companies have this quality.

I asked you to post that in the linked thread that discuss why it is a ponzi scheme. And you have not refuted the reasons given in the thread I linked to. Indeed early adopters can only profit at the expense of late adopters. And they can't exit, because the investment has no value other than as a ponzi (no significant currency use). The statistics prove bitCON can never be a currency. Distribution is lacking and can't be fixed (not without offchain fractional reserves which means bankruptcy and government regulation). Read the linked thread for why. And reply there if you want to.

Done now provide your solution to the problem in this thread

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AnonyMint (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:17:01 AM

I refuted you over at the other linked thread. The solution is never stop coin rewards. That also improves the distribution problem, which fixes the fact that BitCON can never be a currency, as I explained in my rebuttal at the other thread.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
AnonyMint (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:26:42 AM

since bitcoin is, itself, resistant to regulation.

Hahaha. Hahahahahahaha!

Again, I don't need to disprove your theory.  I only need to point out objections.  If you can't defend your theory, then you don't have one.  I can prove that off-network transactions exist today, if I desire. I can tell you how to do some with a MtGox account, and I've done it many times before the Silk Road was brought down.  Coin-mixers do them as a matter of their primary function.  All that is required for them to grow in scope is for a market force to require them.  Something as simple as a percentage rise in the transaction fee would be enough.  A government crackdown would certainly do it.

I told you that offchain is irrelevant to whether my attack is an attack for onchain transactions.

Also offchain reintroduces 3rd party risk, which means government and courts will be involved. So same result and smell, the government gets control.

One.  Mining as a secondary effect to electro-resistive heating.  I.e. you can't undercut the miner who's rig heats his flat.  There is also whole threads regarding using asics embeddeding into heat cable to warm pipes.

Of free energy and perpetual motion!  Roll Eyes

I didn't write "reduced" costs, I wrote "free" costs.

Two.  The Wal-mart|McDonalds|Sears alliance versus the Target|BurgerKind|JCPenny union.  Competing cartels can mine at a negative profit, because they're primary business is selling retail products, not mining for bitcoins.  

Great you argue against cartel attack by citing an alliance of large corporations a "free" mining option.   Huh

As if they do it for free  Roll Eyes

That happened long before you think, but why couldn't Microsoft gain a regulatory capture advantage over Linux?  Because it wasn't a company that could be regulated, it was simply the product of a new kind of development.  Open source.  Which turns out to be rather resistant to regulation by governments.  Bitcoin is open source, and p2p, and distributed.  All things deliberately designed to contribute to it's resitance to regulation.

And what do you think I am trying to do by explaining and defending this attack?

Fix it! With open source! And you are trying  to stop me!

Great logic you have there.  Cry

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
AnonyMint (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:34:28 AM

An alternative link where I summarized why bitcoin is a ponzi scheme and the reason the 21 million coin limit makes it unarguably so:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=339876.msg3649398#msg3649398

murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 03:42:56 PM

Sorry but you don't understand the technology well enough. The reason most readers dismiss my posts, is because they lack knowledge to ascertain how correct I nearly (as in 99.9%) always am if I've studied some matter for a sufficiently long time.

The reason the core developers won't debate with you is that you appear to be a know-all blowhard who simply ignores any posts that don't agree with your views, and repeatedly tell the entire world how much smarter you are than them.

You raise an irrelevant point about double-spends

You raised it, not me.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
AnonyMint (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 03:47:12 PM

Sorry but you don't understand the technology well enough. The reason most readers dismiss my posts, is because they lack knowledge to ascertain how correct I nearly (as in 99.9%) always am if I've studied some matter for a sufficiently long time.

The reason the core developers won't debate with you is that you appear to be a know-all blowhard who simply ignores any posts that don't agree with your views, and repeatedly tell the entire world how much smarter you are than them.

ok, ok, ok, I see your dick size. Now...

Any way, you still haven't refuted my attack.

murraypaul

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 03:54:24 PM

The cartel can give 0-confirmation transactions to its customers, because these are going to be repeat customers because the cartel covers so much commerce.

Everyone can give 0-confirm transactions to their customers.  That's a question of business risk, not capacity.  It happens now.  Please search for the fast-transaction problem and/or the vending machine problem.

Don't play dumb just to obfuscate the point.

The point is the cartel doesn't have delay transactions for its customers when it withholds them from the other miners.

YES IT DOES! The nature of the protocol requires that the cartel delay transaction processing for it's customers because it withholds them from other miners.  There is no way to avoid it!  That's what you can't wrap your head around!

INCORRECT!

You still didn't get the point.

The customer will never care that the transaction is delayed into the blockchain (delayed until the cartel's mining servers wins a block in the proof-of-work), because Amazon will give their customers 0-confirmation access to what they purchased.

So that delay is irrelevant.

That only works if the customer does not have control of their wallet, otherwise they could double-spend the money away from Amazon.
So Amazon must control the wallet.
In which case it could instead just manage everything off-chain instead, as current exchanges do.
So there are no transactions to withhold.

AnonyMint (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:22:18 PM

The customer will never care that the transaction is delayed into the blockchain (delayed until the cartel's mining servers wins a block in the proof-of-work), because Amazon will give their customers 0-confirmation access to what they purchased.

Amazon won't care about it?

Sure, Amazon can trust its customers not to double-spend. But so can all the other merchants.

I already explained this upthread!

Customer would be banned from all cartel member sellers after one double-spend. Not very wise for the customer if the cartel is widespread in retail and online.

Also most purchases (not downloaded) ship after hours, so if the cartel has 15% of the network hashrate, any double-spend would be detected before shipping.

AnonyMint (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:23:36 PM

The cartel can give 0-confirmation transactions to its customers, because these are going to be repeat customers because the cartel covers so much commerce.

Everyone can give 0-confirm transactions to their customers.  That's a question of business risk, not capacity.  It happens now.  Please search for the fast-transaction problem and/or the vending machine problem.

The point is the cartel doesn't have delay transactions for its customers when it withholds them from the other miners.

YES IT DOES! The nature of the protocol requires that the cartel delay transaction processing for it's customers because it withholds them from other miners.  There is no way to avoid it!  That's what you can't wrap your head around!

INCORRECT!

That only works if the customer does not have control of their wallet, otherwise they could double-spend the money away from Amazon.
In which case it could instead just manage everything off-chain instead, as current exchanges do.

This line of thinking was already refuted. See my replies to JoelKatz.

klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:56:59 PM

INCORRECT!

BTW he is a Ripple core dev Wink
mootinator

Activity: 274

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:08:32 PM

An alternative link where I summarized why bitcoin is a ponzi scheme and the reason the 21 million coin limit makes it unarguably so:

Somewhere in an alternate universe:

"Hey guys, we have definitive proof there's no more gold in the earth's crust."

"Shit! Sell sell sell!"

No
AnonyMint (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:10:37 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 12:50:43 AM by AnonyMint

"Shit! Sell sell sell!"

I guess you missed where I wrote the market cap will likely go to the $trillions first, and the market cap today is about $7 billion. So where does this "Shit! Sell sell sell!" nonsense come from?   Huh

Who wrote about no more gold in the earth's crust?  Huh

What universe are you reading from?

murraypaul

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:26:53 PM

If by refuted you mean: waved hands at, blustered and ignored, sure.
If Amazon control the wallet, there would be no reason for them to have on-chain transactions in the first place, they would do the entire accounting in-house. Just like exchanges do already.

mootinator

Activity: 274

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:38:23 PM

"Shit! Sell sell sell!"

I guess you missed where I wrote the market cap will likely go to the $trillions first, and the market cap today is about $7 billion. So where does this "Shit! Sell sell sell!" nonsense come from?   Huh

Who wrote about no more gold in the earth's crust?  Huh

What universe are you reading from?

You said the 21 million coin limit makes it unarguably a ponzi scheme. If we suddenly had mined all of the gold in the universe, would that magically make gold unarguably a ponzi scheme?

The limit has no influence on whether people perceive bitcoin to have value or not. However, as long as people perceive that it has value at all, the limit puts *positive* pressure on the price. You can't turn around and say that same limit is proof bitcoin is a ponzi scheme.

No
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 07:49:10 PM

One thing that all of you have failed to do is argue why I shouldn't fix the attack?

Do you have a problem within fixing threats?

Sounds like you love to leave things broken.

So all this tit-for-tat is really a waste of my time. If we just fix the problem, then nothing more to argue about.  Wink
You don't turn the steering wheel 15 miles before a curve that may never come.

There are definitely some cases where fixing a problem early has huge advantages. For example, if you're developing a product, it's better to fix a problem in the design stage than after manufacturing. And it's better to fix it after manufacturing than after shipping. And so on.

But when the problem is a possible problem for the far future, there are huge disadvantages to fixing it early. For one thing, the technology available to fix it will get better the longer you wait. The problem may never even materialize, in which case the effort expended to fix it is wasted. Other problems may actually materialize and it may be possible to fix both problems with the same effort. The attempt to fix the problem may create a risk of other problems that are more serious or more likely to appear.

Basically, you have to prioritize resources. If you can propose a fix and make the case that the effort and risks associated with the fix exceed the risk associated with the attack, then maybe you have something. But "I have an obscure theoretical risk that might or might not materialize in the future under circumstances that might or might not be plausible, why don't you all work to fix it?" doesn't cut it.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:55:58 PM

INCORRECT!

The merchant will care.  He will not get paid until the transaction is processed.  If the transaction is withheld from the majority of the miners, that opens an opprotunity for a double spend attack after product has been shipped.  This will harm merchants directly, and they will either not accept bitcoin transactions via Amazon at all (nullifying your trhoery altogether) or only accept bitcoin transactions with the added garantee from Amazon against double spend fraud.  This will hurt Amazon.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:59:03 PM

One thing that all of you have failed to do is argue why I shouldn't fix the attack?

Because you don't know what you are doing.  You're welcome to start your own alt-coin, however, and see how it turns out.  Nothing is stopping you.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:13:59 PM

Again, I don't need to disprove your theory.  I only need to point out objections.  If you can't defend your theory, then you don't have one.  I can prove that off-network transactions exist today, if I desire. I can tell you how to do some with a MtGox account, and I've done it many times before the Silk Road was brought down.  Coin-mixers do them as a matter of their primary function.  All that is required for them to grow in scope is for a market force to require them.  Something as simple as a percentage rise in the transaction fee would be enough.  A government crackdown would certainly do it.

I told you that offchain is irrelevant to whether my attack is an attack for onchain transactions.

Just because you say it, does not make it so.

Also offchain reintroduces 3rd party risk, which means government and courts will be involved. So same result and smell, the government gets control.

It may or may not reintroduce 3rd party risk.  Consumers may or may not be willing to invite government back into their economic activity.  Doesn't matter, it's their choice.  But if the majority of small value transactions are off-network, the majority of Amazon-cartel's transactions will have no mining value anyway.

One.  Mining as a secondary effect to electro-resistive heating.  I.e. you can't undercut the miner who's rig heats his flat.  There is also whole threads regarding using asics embeddeding into heat cable to warm pipes.

Of free energy and perpetual motion!  Roll Eyes

I didn't write "reduced" costs, I wrote "free" costs.

Reduced costs are free costs to someone.  Please respond to the effect that sero profit margin miners would have upon your theory.

Two.  The Wal-mart|McDonalds|Sears alliance versus the Target|BurgerKind|JCPenny union.  Competing cartels can mine at a negative profit, because they're primary business is selling retail products, not mining for bitcoins.  

Great you argue against cartel attack by citing an alliance of large corporations a "free" mining option.   Huh

As if they do it for free  Roll Eyes

They would do it for free, because it would still be cheaper at scale than their current "cost centers" for online commerce security, as well as the overhead with the handling and security with regard to both credit card transactions and cash transactions today.  Do you think that armored cars are costless?  That IT security gurus work cheap?  That Walmart puts cameras above every cash register because they trust their $7.50 per hour part time cashiers to be trustworthy with hundreds or thousands of cash dollars?

That happened long before you think, but why couldn't Microsoft gain a regulatory capture advantage over Linux?  Because it wasn't a company that could be regulated, it was simply the product of a new kind of development.  Open source.  Which turns out to be rather resistant to regulation by governments.  Bitcoin is open source, and p2p, and distributed.  All things deliberately designed to contribute to it's resitance to regulation.

And what do you think I am trying to do by explaining and defending this attack?

Fix it! With open source! And you are trying  to stop me!

Great logic you have there.  Cry

I'm not trying to stop you from fixing whatever you think is broken, just don't try to fis inside Bitcoin.  Go start an alt-chain, and if you're right about the problem, as well as how to fix it, then you will profit.  For that matter, considering your proposed fix, you don't even have to start a new coin, inflation coins without the block reward reductions already exist, and have for years.  Go have fun.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:17:20 PM

Amazon won't care about it?

Sure, Amazon can trust its customers not to double-spend. But so can all the other merchants.

I already explained this upthread!

Customer would be banned from all cartel member sellers after one double-spend. Not very wise for the customer if the cartel is widespread in retail and online.

Also most purchases (not downloaded) ship after hours, so if the cartel has 15% of the network hashrate, any double-spend would be detected before shipping.

There is no way that this cartel starts with anything near 15% of the hashrate.

AnonyMint (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 11:40:52 PM
Last edit: November 20, 2013, 11:52:43 PM by AnonyMint

But if the majority of small value transactions are off-network, the majority of Amazon-cartel's transactions will have no mining value anyway.

Ifs have nothing to do with my attack. We can debate if there will be nuclear winter this year too. I am not here to debate every possible exogenous factor in the universe.

If the blockchain is not the majority, we no longer have decentralized currency any way. Private offchain currencies means cheating and fractional reserves, which means failures and government intervention.

Reduced costs are free costs to someone.

No they are not. Zero fees still bankrupts a miner with very small costs.

inflation coins without the block reward reductions already exist, and have for years.

Obviously inflacoin is not compelling, because high levels of debasement are not very enticing to those who think a small coin supply returns greater ponzi system gains (oh we know they rationalize away that it is really a ponzi scheme so they don't pay attention to that tradeoff of not distributing new coins perpetually).

Large debasement and no other significant advances over Bitcoin are not going to succeed in the market place.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: