Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:17:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie needs help - Starting to mine  (Read 626 times)
dadaas (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 10:33:40 AM

I'd like some advice. Which is the fastest and the safest pool to mine? And which mining software is the best?

I just want to start mining and I really don't have a clue how to start it.  Undecided
Sythyn

Activity: 1082
Merit: 505

A Digital Universe with Endless Possibilities.

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 11:19:57 AM

I'd like some advice. Which is the fastest and the safest pool to mine? And which mining software is the best?

I just want to start mining and I really don't have a clue how to start it.  Undecided

BTCGuild if you are having ASIC and wemineltc.com if you are using GPU Smiley
dadaas (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:27:43 AM

BTCGuild if you are having ASIC and wemineltc.com if you are using GPU Smiley

Thanks, and what about mining software? Which one do you use?
Jacce

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:23:31 PM

If you are unfamiliar with mining (and using GPU) I'd say GUIMiner since it's very easy to use. Don't expect to gain too much from mining without ASIC tho.
dadaas (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:43:25 PM

If you are unfamiliar with mining (and using GPU) I'd say GUIMiner since it's very easy to use. Don't expect to gain too much from mining without ASIC tho.

You want to tell me that GPU mining is not gonna make me much BTCs?
Jacce

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 12:51:59 PM

It might have given you lots of BTC for 2-3 years ago, but not anymore (especially not if you're on a nvidia card). With that said, I still suggest you try out mining to see exactly how much you are able to mine and see if it's worth the electricity.
dadaas (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 01:08:11 PM

It might have given you lots of BTC for 2-3 years ago, but not anymore (especially not if you're on a nvidia card). With that said, I still suggest you try out mining to see exactly how much you are able to mine and see if it's worth the electricity.

Thanks a lot, right now I am just testing how it all works Smiley
Lee0044

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:52:25 PM

Slushes fund is very good!! A small donation is required but it's worth it.

http://mining.bitcoin.cz

Asteroid app for mac is a good piece of mining software as it has a nice easy to use interface.

http://www.asteroidapp.com
thehashman

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 05:26:37 PM

To echo what others have said, GPU mining for bitcoins these days is not going to get you much. I would say a scrypt based coin is your best best.

If your time horizon to sell is not immediate, I would GPU mine LTC, FTC, or XPM (once the GPU miner for it is optimized, not a scrypt coin) and wait a year to see if the one you choose gets more mainstream and accepted (then price will increase a lot).

In terms of what pool to join, I think they are all pretty good at this point. If your are not mining 24/7 I would go with a PPS payout system. If your miner is dedicated then all of the payout schemes are near equal in the long run (other payout systems penalize short mining spurts). I would say the most important aspect of a pool is uptime. But these days I think most pools have near 100% uptime because they all acquired DDOS protection.

If you are thinking about getting an ASIC then definitely go for bitcoin, but know the risks are high (when product will deliver, how fast difficulty will increase).
iiWii

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 05:33:38 PM

:-( That sucks, I have some gpus (2x 5970, 2x 6970) would I be able to get anything now that ASIC miners are around?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: